Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Photo/Video Gallery

Pics or the game?

Have a good action shot? Send it to us.

by smileygirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:55 am

Is there a trick to taking pictures and actually getting to see the game?

I find when I take pictures, usually focusing on one player, or on one part of the field, (like the expected slide into home plate, etc.) I get to miss the game or some great action at some other part of the field.

Anyone?
smileygirl

by DonnieS » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:16 pm

smileygirl wrote:Is there a trick to taking pictures and actually getting to see the game?

I find when I take pictures, usually focusing on one player, or on one part of the field, (like the expected slide into home plate, etc.) I get to miss the game or some great action at some other part of the field.

Anyone?

Smiley, here is a trick I have used. First off, I have missed pretty much every cool piece of action my girls have been in, just the parent in you, you look over the camera, first thought after a great piece of action is , I kid you not, is 'Damn, wish I had a camera' and then I feel and look down at the several thousand dollars worth of gear hanging around my neck.

Here is the trick, I put my canon on a tripod, I got the remote control trigger for it, I set it on continuous , I aim and focus it for where my daughter is or should be (not cool when both are on the team in that case I aim for in the middle of the field between the girls, focus in on that spot), and then hold the trigger and when something starts to happen I can both watch it and pull the trigger until the action is over. Those great shots you see from the pro photographers are disinterested people, their interest is taking pics that you and I will pay for versus you and I holding our breath that our daughters dont screw up.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by smileygirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks DonnieS. I have the tripod - guess I need to get a remote.

My most frustrating thing is when I am aimed, focused and ready to shoot ,,, at exactly the right spot... and have forgotten to turn the camera back on, by the time I do the action is over.... :oops:
smileygirl

by DonnieS » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:04 pm

smileygirl wrote:Thanks DonnieS. I have the tripod - guess I need to get a remote.

My most frustrating thing is when I am aimed, focused and ready to shoot ,,, at exactly the right spot... and have forgotten to turn the camera back on, by the time I do the action is over.... :oops:

Gosh, thats really bad, I havent done that since.... tuesday night, vb playoffs, dd is coming up to do a 'kill' I think its called. I knew right where she would be, watching it get setup on the other side, and the pic I have is the top of her pony tail after she had been there and done it.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hilliarddad3 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Smiley,
That's why my videos come out like the Blair Witch Project. I think I'm not in close enough, then i cut everything off and miss 1/2 the stuff. Know how ya feel and that's why my wife does the still photos. It's a knack that some have and she gets better shots than pro's sometimes...

Hitting ones though, just anticipate the pitch/ bat
Hilliarddad3

by smileygirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:11 pm

DonnieS wrote:
smileygirl wrote:Thanks DonnieS. I have the tripod - guess I need to get a remote.

Gosh, thats really bad, I havent done that since.... tuesday night, vb playoffs, dd is coming up to do a 'kill' I think its called. I knew right where she would be, watching it get setup on the other side, and the pic I have is the top of her pony tail after she had been there and done it.

Yes I have lots like that too!#*&%%#$&% :oops:
smileygirl

by canecountry » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:38 pm

You kinda have to see the play develop, unless you have one of those huge lenses, then you just point and shoot, the 1st pic will be blurry, but all the following ones will be focused. I have almost got it down, I focus in and hope something happens.
Attachments
the slide.jpg
the slide.jpg (236.48 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
safe.jpg
safe.jpg (234.21 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
canecountry

by dittoz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:49 am

I aim and focus it for where my daughter is or should be

Great idea, unless of course DD is a Centerfielder. Some day, I hope to be able to afford that 500MM "L" lens, but until then, I have learned to shoot with 2 eyes - one in the view finder and the other on my kid. Helps to be able to switch eyes depending on which side of the camera DD is positioned!

Other times, I just set up where I think a play is going to develop and then be ready but continue to watch the game until the play either happens or the moment passes. You miss a few, but for the most part it works pretty well for me.

The problem I have now is that I have also been pressed into keeping book, and there is NO WAY to shoot and keep book effectively!
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by SkinnyFats » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:06 am

DonnieS wrote:Here is the trick, I put my canon on a tripod, I got the remote control trigger for it, I set it on continuous , I aim and focus it for where my daughter is or should be (not cool when both are on the team in that case I aim for in the middle of the field between the girls, focus in on that spot), and then hold the trigger and when something starts to happen I can both watch it and pull the trigger until the action is over. Those great shots you see from the pro photographers are disinterested people, their interest is taking pics that you and I will pay for versus you and I holding our breath that our daughters dont screw up.

This is a great idea! I have been leaving my camera equipment at home, for sports, vacations, and other events since I'm tired of watching the world through a 1.5 inch screen. I don't like having to play back my pictures just to see what I've missed. You've given me something to ponder; thanks.
SkinnyFats

Return to Photo/Video Gallery