Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Photo/Video Gallery

Mask On or Mask Off?

Have a good action shot? Send it to us.

by chazbz1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:22 pm

Each year there are at least 2-3 reports from around the country related to catchers being hurt during tag plays at the plate when they removed their mask. Broken noses, losed teeth, poked eyes, etc.

So each spring when we have many new coaches entering the coaching ranks I like to put this reminder out.

On a tag play at the plate LEAVE THE MASK ON!

Why?? Simple, no good reason to take it off. The most common reason I am given is that the catcher can see the throw from the infielder better. Well the catcher had no trouble seeing the 50mph pitch from 40 feet away, I sure she can see a throw from 60+ feet away traveling most likely slower then that.

No reason to surrender the protection, Keep the Mask on!

The only time a catcher should take the mask off is on the pop fly. I am even seeing that with the advances in mask design some girls don't even need to take it off then either...(Exert from NECC)

The pictures prove NECC's advice...Liberty catcher Mack W. takes an elbow to the face that knocks her mask completely off during a sliding tag! The close-up clearly shows the mask flying off of the runner's elbow. The mask saved the catcher's braces from damage....as well as possible damage to her teeth, nose and eyes. (The runner was out)
Attachments
P1090357.JPG
Where's the Mask?
P1090357.JPG (98.52 KiB) Viewed 5638 times
P1090357 copy.jpg
Elbow to Face
P1090357 copy.jpg (61.24 KiB) Viewed 5624 times
chazbz1

by scorekeeper » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:58 am

I agree that the mask should be kept on. My daughter caught for several years and the coaches, with one exception, kept telling her to take the mask off. She never did, and was able to catch popups and get players out at the plate without a problem. Furthermore, I always felt better that she was protected and I would not have to be dealing with a head injury.
scorekeeper

by Judd » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:04 am

I was always under the impression to take it off until I saw posts here about it. I think if the coach is asking your DD to take her mask off, you can discuss the issue. It may just be that the coach never looked at it in that view. This applies to any parent of a catcher. It is your daughter afterall.
Judd

by chazbz1 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:37 pm

We just updated our DD's mask to a newer design. The visibility through the mask portion keeps evolving and this one is improved from her previous mask. Newer masks these days also feature "full floating" masks that have what resembles tiny shock absorbers for better impact protection. There have been some safety studies on diiferent type of catcher's masks as to what type of protection each mask offers.
chazbz1

by NoNothin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:35 pm

My dd was playing 10U a couple of years ago in Park City tourney and I can't remember the name of the team, but thier catcher kept the mask on for a play at the plate and wound up with a broken nose. I really don't know the answer. I teach girls to take it off, but you never know what will happen til its done.

NoNo
Respect All Fear None!!!!
NoNothin

by Martin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:53 pm

How did a piece of equipment designed to protect the head from blunt force trauma contribute to a broken nose during a collision at the plate? My first thought would be that it was a darn good thing she had the helmet on - Lord knows what would have happened if it was off!
Martin

Return to Photo/Video Gallery