Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Photo/Video Gallery

OUT AT THE PLATE BABY!!!!!!

Have a good action shot? Send it to us.

by Sam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:49 am

NumeroUno wrote:The blue did not have a good angle to see the play.. :lol:

...and typical of a general umpire aversion to calling OBS on any play at the plate.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DODGERFAN » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:30 pm

Sam wrote:Looks like textbook obstruction. F2 is blocking the runner's path to the plate without the ball.

I DID NOT KNOW SHE WAS WRONG FOR SETTING UP FOR THE THROW TO HOME PLATE,I DO KNOW THE BALL WAS THEIR BEFORE THE PLAY AND IF BALL WAS NOT THIER SHE KNOWS TO MOVE FOR RUNNER......
"Slump ? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hittin." - Yogi Berra
DODGERFAN

by Sam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:00 pm

DODGERFAN wrote:
Sam wrote:Looks like textbook obstruction. F2 is blocking the runner's path to the plate without the ball.

I DID NOT KNOW SHE WAS WRONG FOR SETTING UP FOR THE THROW TO HOME PLATE,I DO KNOW THE BALL WAS THEIR BEFORE THE PLAY AND IF BALL WAS NOT THIER SHE KNOWS TO MOVE FOR RUNNER......

She has no reason to do anything differently than what she is currently doing. Umps aren't going to call her for OBS, even though she is clearly obstructing the plate without the ball....and if they do call her on it, the runner would likely have been safe had she set up correctly inside the plate and the baseline.

She's fine.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Killer Rabbit » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:24 pm

Can't obstruct if the runners not there yet :shock:
Ice cream?! When the f**k did we get ice cream?!
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Killer Rabbit wrote:Can't obstruct if the runners not there yet :shock:

That's funny....where is that rule?

The runner is having her path to the base blocked by F2 without the ball. The runner is actually going into her slide, though she has nowhere to slide in order to get to the base. She's not jogging, she's going full speed.

This from the ASA POE:

"If a defensive person is blocking the base or the base path without the ball, this is impeding the progress of the runner and this is obstruction. Prior to this year (2006), coaches taught to block the base, catch the ball, and make the tag. Now it must be catch the ball, block the base, and make the tag."

Pretty clear.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DODGERFAN » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Sam wrote:
DODGERFAN wrote:

She has no reason to do anything differently than what she is currently doing. Umps aren't going to call her for OBS, even though she is clearly obstructing the plate without the ball....and if they do call her on it, the runner would likely have been safe had she set up correctly inside the plate and the baseline.

She's fine.

THATS SOMETHING WE MOST DEF WILL WORK ON AND CORRECT WE WOULD HATE TO SEE THAT CALLED AGAINST HER.....

GOOD EYES.....
DODGERFAN

by Killer Rabbit » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:52 pm

Alright. My not-so-good eyes needed to look at the picture again. I think that she's got one more step before she starts to slide. Anyways, I do like the catch, block, tag sequence of doing things (besides being the right way, it's safer for both players), but I can't see obstruction (in the picture). If the runner slides into the catcher or attempts to slide around her before the ball arrives, obstruction. I do have a question though. Is it obstruction if halfof the plate it blocked, leaving the back half open to slide safely into, or does the entire plate need to be clear?
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DODGERFAN » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Killer Rabbit wrote:Alright. My not-so-good eyes needed to look at the picture again. I think that she's got one more step before she starts to slide. Anyways, I do like the catch, block, tag sequence of doing things (besides being the right way, it's safer for both players), but I can't see obstruction (in the picture). If the runner slides into the catcher or attempts to slide around her before the ball arrives, obstruction. I do have a question though. Is it obstruction if halfof the plate it blocked, leaving the back half open to slide safely into, or does the entire plate need to be clear?

I THOUGHT THE OBS CAME WHEN CATCHER DID NOT HAVE BALL AND STILL IS BLOCKING THE PLATE SHE IS PLAYING INSIDE AND HALF THE DISH IS OPEN BALL CAME SHE SHIFTED FOR TAG... GOOD QUESTIONS KILLER RABBIT.

LETS SEE IF ANY BSERS CAN ANSWER THEM :D
DODGERFAN

by Sam » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:23 am

Killer Rabbit wrote:Alright. My not-so-good eyes needed to look at the picture again. I think that she's got one more step before she starts to slide. Anyways, I do like the catch, block, tag sequence of doing things (besides being the right way, it's safer for both players), but I can't see obstruction (in the picture). If the runner slides into the catcher or attempts to slide around her before the ball arrives, obstruction. I do have a question though. Is it obstruction if halfof the plate it blocked, leaving the back half open to slide safely into, or does the entire plate need to be clear?

Try reading the rule and the POE again....I wrote it out. The catcher is blocking the plate and doesn't have the ball....OBS. ASA took out the "about to receive the ball" portion of the rule about 4 years ago.

You second question is a judgement question and depends on the runner's basepath. If runner's basepath is on the plane of the blocked portion of the plate, you've still got OBS.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Killer Rabbit » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:38 am

I understand the blocking rule, but doesn't the runner need to be closer to the plate before the umpire considers OBS? If not then the catcher is blocking the plate as soon as the runner leaves third. Judgement call by the umpire. The only way the runner's path would take her to the inside of the plate was if she was trying to make the contact.
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Photo/Video Gallery