Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Photo/Video Gallery

Case For Wearing a Mask

Have a good action shot? Send it to us.

by ScubaGuy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Alyssa received a line drive right to the head as she was pitching on April 19, 2009. Someone noticed the mask in another thread. Here is why you can see the laces on her forehead. Still to this day you can make out the laces scar (faint but can still be seen). Just wanted to promote the use of mask for pitchers. The morning after this happend the DR. told me to watch her carefully so I stood outside of her shower door(first shower since the incident) and she said to me "Dad.. I don't...." then as I was opening the shower door just in time to catcher before she slammed into the shower floor. I dont think mask should be required, I believe in personal choice, but my DD will wear one for the rest of her softball career. If anyone would like I can describe in more detail about the incident, it is etched in my memory forever.
Attachments
Reason for mask.jpg
Reason for mask.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 9945 times
ScubaGuy

by NumeroUno » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 pm

how old was she?
poor kid
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by ScubaGuy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 pm

This was in a middle school tournament. She was 12 at the time she was benched for 3 weeks and couldnt stand it. She was a little Timid first time back on the mound but got over it shortly after that UNTIL her first travelball game.. LOL
ScubaGuy

by WalkOffHomer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Haha, the mask debate.

My DD has always worn one. Guess what? She plays left field. Last season she asked if she could stop wearing it (being outfield and all)...

Here was the response: "you have always worn a mask. And never once have you complained about it being uncomfortable, hindering your abilities, or blocking your vision. So there is no reason to not wear it except maybe you don't want too. But I can show you several photos of other young ladies of why you started wearing it in the first place."

So, yes, I say they ALL should wear a fielders mask...even the outfield. Balls don't stop taking bad hops just because they are on grass and not dirt.

Right or wrong, that's my opinion...
WalkOffHomer

by rowdyone » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:53 pm

WOW How lucky she was and how lucky she is to have a dad like you. Until the upper levels make a must no one will. At least corners and pitchers should have to wear one. The more the college girls wear them the more the lower levels will. I have a hard time getting my DD to wear a month piece at short. Good luck to her I know you said she recovered I hope it works out for the best.
things happen for a reason your job is find the reason
rowdyone

by Jgray » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Thank you for sharing.....poor girl....I am happy to read she is okay now but will take your advice regarding wearing a mask for my kids.
Jgray

by BAM2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:17 pm

Having a daughter for a pitcher it worries me all the time she takes the mound. She had one at one time and ditched it not long after getting it. Until it's mandatory I think you will see less of them . We have a pretty good team my older daughter plays on which draws a lot of recruiters all the time. Second year 14's. We had a pitcher who throws amazingly, and wore a mask. Coaches were asking if anything was wrong, maybe seeing the mask vs the pitcher in general. One of my daughters pitching coaches asked her if she would to get hit would she wear a mask. My daughter said no, I just wouldn't leave that pitch hanging over the middle again.
I think it should be mandatory a least until they are in the HS level. Second year 14's and older should be optional.
JMO
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B-Dad » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:43 pm

HS last year - DD was freshman pitching on a good team against players 3 years older (and much bigger and stronger) then her, she played against many great hitters from the area. She wore the mask all last season because I forced her. She got used to it and started wearing it when she returned to her travel team in the fall and winter without me pushing it.

Maybe some colleges won't look at her because of it. Doesn't bother me one bit.
B-Dad

by DonnieS » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:50 am

B-Dad wrote:HS last year - DD was freshman pitching on a good team against players 3 years older (and much bigger and stronger) then her, she played against many great hitters from the area. She wore the mask all last season because I forced her. She got used to it and started wearing it when she returned to her travel team in the fall and winter without me pushing it.

Maybe some colleges won't look at her because of it. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Saves you the time of excluding them first. Softball is only about 20 years, lifetime is up over 80.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:15 am

BAM2 wrote: Second year 14's and older should be optional.
JMO

Gotta agree to disagree with ya on that one...teenyboppers go with what ever is coolest...to them...and Bubble headed comes to mind...lets put it this way...
Would you want DD 1 launching one at DD2's face?

You saw the pic of the member on here , DD's thigh...now put 2 eyes, a nose and lips on it...She couldn't get out of its way...or block it...
Thank God it wasn't at her face... And shes a mature pitcher in the highest level...

I think yours should wear one...Bring you one when I come ;)
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Photo/Video Gallery