Photo/Video Gallery

Play at the plate

Have a good action shot? Send it to us.

by Instig8or » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Touche` - I stand strandled !

13yr olds... (sigh)
Instig8or

by wadeintothem » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Instig8or wrote:If the catcher, who appears to be strandling the plate as best I can tell is leaving a path to it, why would it ever be obstruction if the catcher is in the act of catching a throw as the runner begins to arrive? To me, that comment about "assuming she caught the ball" almost infers that the catcher must yield the plate to the runner even if the ball is in the act of being caught...

Cannon is

I think in terms of ASA & NFHS rules (NCAA is the same on this as well)

A defender cannot impede the runners progress without the ball. "Act of receiving" was removed from the rule book 5 or 6 years ago.

I'm not familiar with NSA rules, so that could be different.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by umpinva » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Instig8or wrote:If the catcher, who appears to be strandling the plate as best I can tell is leaving a path to it, why would it ever be obstruction if the catcher is in the act of catching a throw as the runner begins to arrive? To me, that comment about "assuming she caught the ball" almost infers that the catcher must yield the plate to the runner even if the ball is in the act of being caught...

If in the PU umpire's judgment, F2's straddling the plate did not alter the runner's stride or impede the runner's access to the plate, there would be no obstruction.

If F2's blocking the plate without possession of the ball would impede access to the plate or alter the runner's stride, obtruction should be called.
umpinva

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:10 am

NumeroUno wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Man, why is it that girls don't know how to properly slide?

Those are great pictures and sorry to side tract the post but I really believe because everyone is so worried about a kid getting hurt at practice their is not enough sliding practice done.

Side-track Alert ... perhaps another post is in order ... but, back in the Rec days, with all the $ going to the boys fields and their nice infield mix ... our claycrete-pebble surface was not conducive to sliding ... so, we would have to wait for the boys to finish and sneak on to their infield ...

* hhmm? I thought it was 'track' as in train not 'tract' as in land ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to Photo/Video Gallery