Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Photo/Video Gallery

Play at the plate

Have a good action shot? Send it to us.

by Lefty's Dad » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:41 am

knobcreek wrote:hey, thanks for the nice comments. I just wish the DD would keep her damn mask on!

Yeah I wasn't gonna say anything but that scares me, especially when their HS age and metal cleats are just inches away from DD's face.
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
Lefty's Dad

by umpinva » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:39 am

knobcreek wrote:umpvina, you got me thinking about blue removing his mask... heres a play on a passed ball.

Mask should have been removed on the passed ball. Looking at the PU's shirt it was a NSA sanctioned game. I'm surprised the tournament UIC didn't require the PU to wear a hat.
umpinva

by NumeroUno » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:02 am

Spazsdad wrote:Man, why is it that girls don't know how to properly slide?

Those are great pictures and sorry to side tract the post but I really believe because everyone is so worried about a kid getting hurt at practice their is not enough sliding practice done.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by hotwheels » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:04 am

NumeroUno wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Man, why is it that girls don't know how to properly slide?

Those are great pictures and sorry to side tract the post but I really believe because everyone is so worried about a kid getting hurt at practice their is not enough sliding practice done.

Absolutely true #1.....The last 2 times I've had sliding drills at practice we had 1 girl get injured each and no....Not the same girl....

I think we take it for granted in 16's that girls know how to slide properly by this point but that is definitely not the case.....
hotwheels

by knobcreek » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:22 am

knobcreek wrote:
umpvina, you got me thinking about blue removing his mask... heres a play on a passed ball.

Mask should have been removed on the passed ball. Looking at the PU's shirt it was a NSA sanctioned game. I'm surprised the tournament UIC didn't require the PU to wear a hat.

He was wearing a hat, guessing it came off when he removed his mask.
Attachments
hat.jpg
hat.jpg (101.77 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
knobcreek

by knobcreek » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:28 am

Lefty's Dad wrote:
88sDAD wrote:
Lefty's Dad wrote:Great series of shots, I wish my camera would take quick shots like this.

We found on our Sony Cybershot a feature called "burst" and "Multi burst" Works great but the quality is a little less then the standard picture

9 Shot Burst Mode
Capture up to 9 shots (fine) or 16 shots (standard) at 1.6 frame/sec. even at 5 MP resolution. Perfect for high speed subjects or fast moving action such as sports.

Multi-Burst Mode
Captures 16 320 x 240 frames as part of a single 1280 x 960 image which plays back sequentially in the camera. Selectable 1/7.5, 1/15, 1/30 second.

No burst mode on mine but I do have video on it that comes out pretty good which is now what I have turned to for most of the games.

I shoot wth a Cannon 30D with a 70-300mm lens. The camera has several modes including servo where i can get 5 frames per second and 6meg files, So i do luck out with some shots. Cannon now came out with the 50D which has 6.3fps @ 15 meg
knobcreek

by wadeintothem » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:43 am

NSA..

that explains much.
wadeintothem

by umpinva » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:32 pm

knobcreek wrote:knobcreek wrote:
He was wearing a hat, guessing it came off when he removed his mask.

kc...good catch with the hat. NSA only has six and eight stitch hats available and unless you pull the mask away from your face and then up, the hat usually comes off with the mask.
umpinva

by Instig8or » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Not that it matters, but look close at the 2nd shot as the runner is coming into view and you can see the hat inside of the PU's mask.

Why in both pictures is the on-deck batter standing so close to the play? Or is that the hitter backed off from the play?

Why does the catcher have her helmet off in a play at the plate?

If the catcher, who appears to be strandling the plate as best I can tell is leaving a path to it, why would it ever be obstruction if the catcher is in the act of catching a throw as the runner begins to arrive? To me, that comment about "assuming she caught the ball" almost infers that the catcher must yield the plate to the runner even if the ball is in the act of being caught...

Cannon is spelled Canon, (unless you actually ARE shooting one).

Nice timing on the photo. Looks like that 300 lens still goes soft at the extreme lengths though.
Might try shooting around f8 and compensate your exposure about -2/3 if you can - may clean the sharpness up a little... (even if you had to up the ISO a notch or two.)
Instig8or

by knobcreek » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:05 pm

Instig8or, this field had the on-deck circle right where she was standing. we've requested them moving it past tourneys, but the uic, or td fails to do anything about it, and i'm just a parent so who am i to say.

She was taught at an early age to toss the helmet, we are working with her to keep it on. its a tough habit to break. She's 13 and knows it all!

is Strandling a new word? in my book it's spelled straddling (right back atcha)

Thanks for the photo tips, ill give it a shot.
knobcreek

PreviousNext

Return to Photo/Video Gallery