Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Photo/Video Gallery

High and Tight

Have a good action shot? Send it to us.

by umpinva » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:00 am

JustWondering wrote:
socalsoftball wrote:At what age is it OK to intentionally hit a batter because the runner at 2nd is stealing signs? Just curious to see what people think on this topic.

Day 1

Which is also a great day for the pitcher to learn about being ejected. Could be a learning lesson day for the coach also.
umpinva

by socalsoftball » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Maybe I should have said "the runner on 2nd is attempting to steal signs".
The reason I bring this up is first off because of the photo and Numero Uno's reply, but also because I remember back in the days when boys would throw at other boys for many reasons and at an early age. So far in softball I haven't run into girls throwing at batter's intentionally. Not even for things such as runners blatantly attempting to steal signs. So, I guess my questions is when do girls start throwing at batters intentionally (if at all) and for what reasons. Can someone please share some experiences or thoughts?
socalsoftball

by Lefty's Dad » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:50 pm

socalsoftball wrote:Maybe I should have said "the runner on 2nd is attempting to steal signs".
The reason I bring this up is first off because of the photo and Numero Uno's reply, but also because I remember back in the days when boys would throw at other boys for many reasons and at an early age. So far in softball I haven't run into girls throwing at batter's intentionally. Not even for things such as runners blatantly attempting to steal signs. So, I guess my questions is when do girls start throwing at batters intentionally (if at all) and for what reasons. Can someone please share some experiences or thoughts?

Here's one...
Pitcher doesn't like the batter...DD was hit by former teammate for this reason. I really thought DD was gonna take the bat to the circle instead of taking 1st base. :o 1st year 14's.
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
Lefty's Dad

by HBDave » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:55 am

A few years back when my DD was pitching in a 10U rec fall league the opposing coach got a little carried away with his "encouragement" to his hitter. I don't remember his exact words but it was along the line of, "hit it right back where it came from, take the pitcher out." Well, the next pitch drilled the batter right between the shoulder blades and DD stood there in the circle and glared at the opposing coach as the batter sobbed her way to first base. I felt this weird sensation of shock, horror and pride all at the same time.
HBDave

by pride13 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:15 am

I was looking at some pictures and saw this post with the question... When is it ok to start plunking batters. Picking pitches and signals, it part of the game. Teachers your pitchers to hide the ball....catchers to think and use multiple signals and locations. When is it ok to let the bat fly out of your hands and wrap around the pitchers neck...? NEVER. So, your son or daughter gets one stuck in the ear hole....oh well they had it coming....are you going to yell at the son or daughter on second stealing pitches...? You have no clue....
pride13

by jofus » Wed May 13, 2009 9:32 am

We went to Blacksburg a couple years ago (Angela Tincher's junior year) to watch NCState and VT play a double header. The NCSt. 3rd baseman went with an outside pitch and knocked it over the right field fence her second (I think it was second) time up against Tincher.

Her next time up, with no one on and 2 outs, the first pitch was off the inside corner, and she glared at Tincher for about 3 or 4 seconds after the pitch, very deliberately. The next one hit her in the left thigh. I could hardly keep from laughing when I noticed Tincher on the mound slowly going through her curveball release motion, like she was having problems with her curve ball :D
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by pride13 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:04 pm

That showed real class didn't it? Wouldn't it have better to just throw the ball by her three times. If your one of the best show it by being professional. Would it still have been funny to you if she hit her and ended her playing years? You should come off the bleacher and take a 75 mph ball at your back side.
pride13

by anonlooker » Wed May 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Jofus didn't throw the pitch, Tincher did. And then got a nice endorsement deal with Nokona. :D
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by jofus » Wed May 13, 2009 9:24 pm

1, it wasn't 75 mph, I'm pretty sure that Tincher couldn't throw that fast.

2, it wasn't because of the home run. If you're a pitcher, and a batter hits an outside pitch over the fence, where are you going to pitch her the next time up? Obviously inside. The batter got hit for trying to stare her down after the first inside pitch. Or, maybe it really was an accident 8-)

3, as for class, I would hazard a guess that there are very few div 1 pitchers out there that haven't hit a girl on purpose at some point in their career. I've met Tincher, my DD has had lessons from her, and she seemed like an outstanding young lady to me, and very down to earth, considering it was only a few weeks after she was voted the player of the year.

4, she threw the ball by the next batter 3 times straight.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

Previous

Return to Photo/Video Gallery