Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Strike Zone TV thingy...

What's on your mind?

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:33 am

Pale Rider wrote:The strike zone box was used for what I think was the first time at the WCWS...
Based on that, it affirmed my suspicions that some umps have a very 'interpretive' strike zone...a softball doesn't break 10 inches outside across the plate...Saw balls a foot high and wide (and inside) that were called strikes...
Seem that some of the umps tightened their calls up AFTER they saw the reviews...

The plate is 17inches wide, 3/4in black on each side...from the knee to the elbow...Its a FINITE zone..

Whats y'alls opinion on the box?
I like it but it PO'ed me with the really bad ump calls...more than usual, and was usually dependent on which team threw it.

Actually, the black is not part of the plate but it is within the strike zone ... The strike zone is the width of the white part of the plate ( 17") plus a 4" width of the ball on either side of the plate ... That's 25" wide from the top of the knee to the arm pit (not elbow) as it travels directly over the plate ... I like the box if and when it is set up and used properly.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:13 am

K-Zone is really hard to set up incorrectly. The math makes it so. The outfield camera is largely only getting up and down location. It does have minor input into the in and out, but that is just a minor adjustment. The top down camera gives inside and outside.

They use a Kalman filter to calibrate the cameras against each other. They should be able to locate the front of the plate with only a few seconds of effort. That location should be within 1/2 inch.

It did seem early on that the top of their strikezone was a bit high, giving almost to the shoulders. The low part seemed a bit low, giving almost all the knee. By the last game of the WCWS that seemed to come more in line with what I would expect.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions