Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

This should be enough to ban cleats in High School

What's on your mind?

by Skarp » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:07 am

ssarge wrote:Either we (collectively) believe that these are ATHLETES - not boys in one category and girls in another - or we don't.

I get called to task sometimes when I make "allowances" for girls. And you know what - I should be called to task.

It should be consistent. For example, I DON'T see pictures posted of boys after they have been spiked saying "this should be enough reason to ban metal spikes in high school." I'm as guilty of it as anyone at times, but how this can be constured as anything other than a subtle form of sexism? Well intended, obviously, and completely understandable. I'm NOT leveling criticism. I've got a daughter, too, and I'd just as soon that her legs NOT look like a roadmap of Montana when she is done playing. BUT, the implications of feeling differently about this with my daughter than I do with my son seem pretty clear.

ssarge wrote:I just don't see the logical validation for worrying MORE about it with females competing against females than I do with males against males. The disparity of physical abilities, strength, etc. across the span of participants in baseball and softball is roughly comparable. I think it is an emotional issue for many, and that is their perogative. I'm just trying to look at it logically.

Sarge,

For the record, I think that metal cleats are unnecessary and overly dangerous for the boys too, but that issue is tangential to the real point of my disagreement with you. The centerpiece of your argument in support of allowing metal cleats for women is the far more general proposition that there is no difference between male and female athletes, and thus no reason to treat them differently. This is a proposition that is manifestly and demonstrably false. And to make matters worse--at least from where I'm sitting--you presented this demonstrably false proposition in politicized language (so treating girls differently than boys in sports constitutes "sexism," which we should feel "guilty" about). Well nothing personal, but I take issue with that, as it is an improper attempt to stake out the high ground in the argument...and in any event you are assuming the truth of precisely what you need to prove, because it's only sexism if in fact the different treatment is objectively unwarranted. If you want to support your "athletes are athletes" position with hard data or the sound logical reasoning you profess to strive for, great, but politically correct platitudes don't qualify as either.

I think you may be missing the point of my boxing comparison. Boxing almost always involves same-sized individuals matched against each other. Men versus men, and more recently women versus women. So the fatality comparison is ideal if we want to discover which gender, if any, can better withstand physical punishment dished out by others of the same gender (which is exactly what we need to ascertain to prove or disprove your proposition). And even accepting your 200 fatalities number (which isn't limited to boxing, as it should be for comparative purposes), it isn't even a close call. A woman is WAY more likely to be killed in a boxing match against a like-sized woman, despite the fact that women wear protective head gear (I would wager that there are more men's boxing matches worldwide in an average weekend than there have been women's matches in the entire period we're talking about--i.e., since 2000). What this tells us is that women versus women is not the same as men versus men, and thus that womens' sports may legitimately be considered differently when it comes to protective equipment and rules. There is admittedly a dearth of adequate comparative data of this type, but that is perhaps the most telling fact of all. Women simply don't participate in heavy contact sports like men do, and I submit to you that there is a very good reason for that. It's not just that we're unreasonably afraid that they will get hurt...they actually will get hurt.

You also dismissed as illogical/emotional my assertion that a disfiguring scar on a woman is more impactful than on a man, but I believe you failed to respond to the substantive support I provided for that assertion. It's a well-established psychiatric fact that self-perception for women is tied much more closely to personal appearance, and it is an unalterable societal fact that disfigurement for a woman is stigmatized (real sexism) much more than it is for a man. It is illogical not to take these facts into consideration when deciding what level of protection is warranted.

As far as the comparative safety of metal cleats go, if you have "actuarial rather than anecdotal" evidence, I'm all ears (really, I am). But unless I missed something, all you have told us is that you are positive that you avoided muscle strains by wearing metal cleats. Leaving aside the futility of the attemted negative-causation inference there, the "evidence" you cite constitutes nothing more than anecdotal experience. It's useless for generalization purposes. And yes I do believe that the burden of producing evidence should lie with your side of the argument...until real data is presented on the subject, those sharp things sticking off the bottom of the shoes and the picture on page one of this thread pretty much speak for themselves.

Regards,
Skarp
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ssarge » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:11 am

Skarp:

I already told you that I conceded the argument. "I give."

I indicated that I didn't think my opinion was in the mainstream of this particular online community.

I said I didn't have anything more to contribute on the metal spike question. And haven't advanced any arguments for it since.

I stated my opinion, and conceded that it is undoubtably shaped by the level of play in which I am involved. That is obviously a bias not shared by all, and I get that.

And I stated clearly that my random musings on boxing were not related to softball, and that I engaged in that discussi0n only because I found the topic interesting.

And now you have responded by again citing comments I made yesterday - before conceding the argument - and continue demonstrating how wrong I am. Why are you prolonging this? What more do you want from me?

Well nothing personal, but I take issue with that, as it is an improper attempt to stake out the high ground in the argument...and in any event you are assuming the truth of precisely what you need to prove, because it's only sexism if in fact the different treatment is objectively unwarranted. If you want to support your "athletes are athletes" position with hard data or the sound logical reasoning you profess to strive for, great, but politically correct platitudes don't qualify as either.

I get it. You don't agree with me, you didn't accept my concession of the point, you think I'm moralizing, you think I'm an elitist snob trying to make you feel guilty or inferior. Not my intent, sorry it came across that way. Although I'm AMAZED it came across that way (and NO ONE who knows me has ever accused me of being politically correct. If ANYTHING, I'm dealing with PERSONAL guilt for my own latent feelings of sexism.)

I would appreciate it if you would accept the above paragraph at face value and move on, rather than trying to assign ever deeper hidden meaning to my words. There isn't any.

And yes I do believe that the burden of producing evidence should lie with your side of the argument...until real data is presented on the subject, those sharp things sticking off the bottom of the shoes and the picture on page one of this thread pretty much speak for themselves

Well, perhaps - on a message board. But I'm not concerned about "winning" an argument. Just wanted to state my opionion, and I did.

However, the burden for carrying the "argument" of what actually transpires on playing fields lies with folks who want to change the existing rule in place at a national level. That ISN'T me. I am comfortable with that rule as it is currently written.
ssarge

by Skarp » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:58 am

Sarge,

My apologies. I interpreted your voluminous entry regarding the validity/applicability of the boxing statistics I cited...which you posted subsequent to your somewhat ambiguous "I give" post--to mean that that the subject was still up for debate. I also wasn't aware of the rule that allows one to foreclose all future discussion of one's previous posts simply by saying "I give"--that'll come in handy.

I do not think you have been moralizing. I was just commenting on the (unfair) practical effect of the rhetorical methods you employed in this thread. I haven't taken anything you have said personally, don't consider you to be an elitist (although candidly your "demographics" remark did smack of that a bit), and in fact I personally find your contributions here to be exceedingly valuable. I would ask you to extend me the same courtesy and evaluate my comments on their merit rather than how they make you feel (or how you feel about me) personally.

You may have just been offering your opinion, but you did so forcefully and at length, and you did so somewhat dismissively of the contrary view (so rather than "I disagree that the psychiatric data you posit is accurate or useful for these reasons...", you offer "I am still just mystified by the argument that maintains...this is fine for boys, but not for the distaff set. "). In my book that makes both the substantive and rhetorical components of your posts fair game to comment on.

Finally, regarding the "burden of proof" exchange, I believe we have been discussing the propriety of allowing metal cleats, as opposed to the practical steps necessary to get a rule change implemented. You may be right that we bear the burden of proof on the rule change issue (although in the absence of meaningful comparative injury data a good argument can be made that the default position should reside on the side of safety until the data is in). However there is no reason whatsoever that the burden of proof should lie with my side of the argument with respect to the normative question--whether metal cleats "ought" to be allowed.

Regards
Skarp
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tucson » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:04 am

[url]Do you know the age limitations on use of metal in ASA play use prior to 1980? Was this in 18u and below? If ASA allowed metal use by girls in 18u and below prior to 1980, what led to the original ban? I've looked for this historical information and can't find it on the 'net.
[/url]
American Freedom, you might get your answer from Joan Joyce. http://www.asasoftball.com/hall_of_fame/memberDetail.asp?mbrid=147

She would have stayed involved in the sport this whole time that you are researching.

I started in 1964, when I was 10. We wore steal cleats that we normally called spikes. We were ASA and there were 2 age groups, 16 and younger and adults. Many women were 35-40 years old. It was not unusual for mothers and daughters to play together.

I got married in 1981 and they stopped using spikes sometime around then.

Another person that is still coaching is Jim Davis at Lincoln Land Community College in Springfield IL. He coached when I was in my 20s and he is still there. He must be 80 yrs. old. Amy
Tucson

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions