Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Lets talk cameras again

What's on your mind?

by Skarp » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:55 pm

3Bsnag wrote:Skarp, I have the same camera and an "auto" kinda gal. I'm getting some good shots and love that I can zoom in on the software and it looks like I was up close, but what do I set it on to get those really awesome shots?

I probably need to just accept the fact that I need major help and take a class.

By the way, if you're talking about the software that Nikon includes with the camera, my recollection is that it is pretty poorly reviewed (as is almost always the case with packaged software, including the garbage that comes pre-loaded on retail computers). I would be inclined to stick to photoshop or some other third-party application that is highly regarded.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Judd » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:00 pm

I went to wolf camera today and looked at a Nikon D80 and the Canon 40D. The Canon smoked the Nikon in FPS. The guy held the button down on the Nikon, then the Canon. The Canon sounded like a machine gun

I am pretty convinced I am going with the Canon 40D. I have done a little research online and have found the Camera body for $549 while Wolf wanted $1200 for just the body. I need to confirm the 549 is not a refurb or something. I know retail is higher than online but TWICE the price?

I understand the 28-300MM is the zoom what does the f/xx-xx mean?

Heres where I may it from. I am thinking of one of the package deals with the lenses

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodeta ... did=902244
Judd

by WiperBlades » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:33 am

Judd, also make sure the camera you are considering has an American warranty as opposed to an imported one. That will sometimes affect the price. Good Luck. Jim
WiperBlades

by Paco » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:37 am

Please do a search on bestpricecamera before you buy from them. Just type the name into Google.

There are several good internet sources for these cameras such as B&H Photo and Adorama Camera - I suggest you might do better trying one of them.

That being said, you're probably realistically looking at around $1150 for the 40D (body only). For a good lens - somewhere in the $700 range. A very good lens (pro quality) will run you anywhere from $1500 to several thousand.

I would also suggest looking at the Nikon D300, I've recently purchased one and it is a spectacular camera. Do a search; there are dozens of online reviews. However, at ~$1700 it’s a bit more money.

FYI - You mentioned frames per second - the D300 will shoot 6fps like the 40D but will get to 8fps with an attached battery pack.

Like anything else, it all depends on what you are looking to do with the camera. Taking a few snapshots can be done for a modest investment. Pro quality photos will cost much more. That being said I have been the team photographer for the last year and wouldn't trade the fun I've gotten out of that for anything. We now have a team full of "hams" (parents included) and a bunch of great photos. Our team coach put a one hour video together at the end of last year using my photos. It was a wonderful way to end the year.
Paco

by Judd » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:43 am

Thanks Paco, I was told on another forum to google them and this company has a horrible reputation. I knew the price was too good to be true
Judd

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions