Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Coach KO's Blue in 10U

What's on your mind?

by hotwheels » Tue May 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Well said Art
hotwheels

by Hitmechanic » Tue May 13, 2008 2:49 pm

>>Just because they wear a blue uniform gives them the right and makes them the "say and end all"? Unfortunately, the answer is yes. We can only hope that there are more umpires that actually care about doing their best and just not drawing a supplemental income, which hardly any of them file on their taxes anyways...[/quote]

If I can't get a relative to Blue, I have to carry around extra $20's...
'Wait for a good post to slam"-Big K.
Hitmechanic

by TXfastpitchsoftball » Tue May 13, 2008 2:57 pm

artomatic wrote:I wasn't there, but an umpire can throw dog poop on a coach and that still doesnt give a coach a reason to lay a hand on an umpire...?

Not sure about you So Cal folks, but if an umpire throws dog poop on a Texas coach., he is going to get his a*# whipped everytime.
TXfastpitchsoftball

by Demonboy » Tue May 13, 2008 3:53 pm

artomatic wrote:I wasn't there, but an umpire can throw dog poop on a coach and that still doesnt give a coach a reason to lay a hand on an umpire...

Ask youself this:
If a coach goes berserk over a call, like we are reading about over and over on this board and in the news, do they behave that way at work?
If their subordinate doesn't make enough widgets that day, or make the wrong decision, do they start screaming and yelling and going nuts?
Probably not, or they wouldn't have a job long...so why is it ok to go crazy when you don't like the results in a girls softtball game, or any youth sport for that matter?

I missing the part where anyone said any of this behavior is acceptable.
The coach is wrong for hitting the ump. Duh. Water is wet.

The fact that the coach's actions are inexcusable does not change for one second that
the umpire is also an idiot and totally unprofessional. The minute he got down in the dirt
with that coach and started calling names, he stopped being an umpire and became part
of the problem. Because he is the official, he HAS to be held to a higher standard. Period.

Oh by the way. When I DON'T want to fight someone, my strategy usually includes not
calling that someone a liar or anything else. And on that rare occasion
that I may have a head injury that causes my IQ to drop 50 points, I'm at least
careful not to turn my back after insulting that someone I don't want to fight.

They're both world class morons and the judge should order them both neutered immediately.
Last edited by Demonboy on Tue May 13, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by artomatic » Tue May 13, 2008 3:57 pm

agree DB,
my response was to the poster who was sort of saying the blue was "asking for it"...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Demonboy » Tue May 13, 2008 4:00 pm

artomatic wrote:agree DB,
my response was to the poster who was sort of saying the blue was "asking for it"...

Missed that comment. Apologies. (Dammit, just wasted a world class outburst).

Lets add him to the neuter list.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by artomatic » Tue May 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Demonboy wrote:
artomatic wrote:agree DB,

Missed that comment. Apologies. (Dammit, just wasted a world class outburst).

Lets add him to the neuter list.

ha, it was too long to put in the quote box, so i will take partial blame...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Missinit » Tue May 13, 2008 5:33 pm

It's bad enough that the coach acted like a drunk bar room brawler at a 10u game but on top of that to punch the guy after he turned his back... COWARD!!!

He should be put in the cage match, lets see how tough he is when the other guy is facing him.

If this guy is ever allowed within 100 yards of a youth sporting event it would be unjust.

I don't care what the other guy says, if you can't control yourself enough to keep from getting violent around a bunch of kids then you have no business being around youth activities!!!
If you show no mercy... you deserve no mercy!
Missinit

by wadeintothem » Tue May 13, 2008 6:05 pm

Demonboy wrote:The fact that the coach's actions are inexcusable does not change for one second that
the umpire is also an idiot and totally unprofessional. The minute he got down in the dirt
with that coach and started calling names, he stopped being an umpire and became part
of the problem. Because he is the official, he HAS to be held to a higher standard. Period.

Not that I disagree in principle with what you are saying.. but coaches DO lie all the time. In the realm of sports its just supposed to be accepted. So its possible that the umpire was not "calling him names" but simply telling the truth. I've been tempted to call coaches liars when they lie MANY times.. I just try to keep things calm by using a different tact with coaches. I know and expect that all coaches and parents lie.. example:

"blue she was safe by two feet" on a bang bang play where no one was safe or out by 2 feet.. it was a close play.

"Blue that was above her head" on a slightly high pitch

"Blue that was in the dirt" on a slightly low pitch.

Its possible (probable considering the level of play) this was a newer umpire who is not used to the fact that when a coach is talking to you, in many cases, he is stretching the truth at best, and many times simply being dishonest hoping to gain advantage.

While it was unprofessional to call a coach a liar.. they (MANY of them) are liars. Its not calling them a name. I'd consider it more of a "pointing out fact" when it is not generally accepted to do so.

One of the things an umpire must learn is that in softball.. dishonesty by coaches is not dealt with in a straight forward manner by telling them they are lying when they lie....

The best way to deal with it is listen to their bs nodding (while thinking about whats for dinner) and then send them back to their hey-bucket to pout...but at least they feel they had their say.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by sportzjunky » Tue May 13, 2008 6:30 pm

>>>The best way to deal with it is listen to their bs nodding (while thinking about whats for dinner) and then send them back to their hey-bucket to pout<<<

I dont care who you are, thats very funny.... :lol:

>>>"blue she was safe by two feet" on a bang bang play where no one was safe or out by 2 feet.. it was a close play.

"Blue that was above her head" on a slightly high pitch

"Blue that was in the dirt" on a slightly low pitch.<<<<

Thats usually the dirt you hear from the backstop braintrust.
The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure.
These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.
- Vince Lombardi
sportzjunky

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions