Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

On Deck

What's on your mind?

by Fastpitch4Life » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:57 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:Thanks for the input in response to my original post. If I understand the process correctly, at the tryout the girls need to "stand out" enough to warrant an invite to a Jamboree where they will be seen by college coaches. It sounds similar to PGF camps in that there may be 150 girls "trying out." I guess I wonder how many girls actually get on coach's radar at the Jamboree and ultimately verbal or sign with one of those coaches? I suppose that unless your DD is an absolute stud that tends to "stand out" anyway, it all comes down to good timing and finding a coach that see's enough in your DD to either extend an offer or continue to watch her progression.
Thanks again!

No need to be a stud... There are many different coaches looking at different things. Coaches go for specific positions and/or specific grad years. Not as simple as the stud!

During my DD's experience we heard many times coaches refer to On Deck and how she performed around like competition. They loved how she adapted quickly to the fast pace and maintained her energy and love the entire day or two days. It showed she was coachable as well as talented.

I am a huge fan of On Deck and Derrick and Joanne. They truly value each DD. They are very good talent evaluators and they are very open to questions and offer great feedback. They submit a report on each player at Jamborees and Elite camps.

On the college camps I agree they are huge, BUT they are also mostly money makers for coaches and college players more than recruiting tools. It is rare a DD shows up and gets an offer. Maybe on the radar but not an offer. Now Elite prospect camps your DD will have a better chance. Though I recommend not attending unless invited by the school. That's when the schools have invited their list of players they are actively recruiting. They are separate from the money makers in the camp. They will spend all the time and tour campus. Those are DDs they will potentially offer. At that point they have already evaluated the player at games and camps like On Deck. So at this point they ask themselves Do we like them personally or can they fit into our culture.

Everyone's path is different and that's my two cents based on the feed back I received and was a part of. I asked a million bold questions so I feel my insight is pretty good and fresh as my DD finally committed this fall.

On Deck all the way!!

Very cool. Thanks for the assessment. You mention invitations to prospect camps. I received a number of emails this fall for specific college's prospect camps during the Christmas break and into January. Are these truly "invites?" The message was addressed to my daughter by name. I wondered if they got my email from PGF or some other database. Don't true invites have to go through the TB or HS coach?
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballjerk » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:Would appreciate opinions from those who have experience with the On Deck process/system. Is it worth the money? What results (exposure) did your DD get? Have only heard good things, but would like other opinions before investing.
Thanks!

OD jumped the shark a few years ago, when they added more and more camps and qualifying camps to get into other camps. They aligned with TCS and like anything TCS touches, it becomes about profitability 1st and foremost and they aren't afraid to test the threshold about how much of your money they can take from you.

In the past, participating in the OD camp, meant the you were actually scouted at a tournament, and they felt you were worthy of being a participant in one of their camps - and you'd get an invite.

That may still be true, to some degree, but I'm afraid that with more and more camps coming from them, $$$ may be more of the focus now days.
softballjerk

by PDad » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:40 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:Very cool. Thanks for the assessment. You mention invitations to prospect camps. I received a number of emails this fall for specific college's prospect camps during the Christmas break and into January. Are these truly "invites?" The message was addressed to my daughter by name. I wondered if they got my email from PGF or some other database. Don't true invites have to go through the TB or HS coach?

tbjd's assessment is for the actual exposure events. I expect his DD received an invitation to a jamboree/camp without having to go thru an OD tryout event,

The email solicitations from colleges for their camps can be very disingenuous - my DD received one that appeared to show a lot of interest in her from a school I knew already had verbals from 2 pitchers in her class. They get addresses from other camp organizers, showcase college books and/or team profile sheets they picked up. One way to gauge them is finding out how many teammates and friends also received one.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:25 pm

PDad wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:Very cool. Thanks for the assessment. You mention invitations to prospect camps. I received a number of emails this fall for specific college's prospect camps during the Christmas break and into January. Are these truly "invites?" The message was addressed to my daughter by name. I wondered if they got my email from PGF or some other database. Don't true invites have to go through the TB or HS coach?

tbjd's assessment is for the actual exposure events. I expect his DD received an invitation to a jamboree/camp without having to go thru an OD tryout event,

The email solicitations from colleges for their camps can be very disingenuous - my DD received one that appeared to show a lot of interest in her from a school I knew already had verbals from 2 pitchers in her class. They get addresses from other camp organizers, showcase college books and/or team profile sheets they picked up. One way to gauge them is finding out how many teammates and friends also received one.

I did check on a couple of them. 1 or 2 other girls received them from our team. Any idea about invites required to go through coaches?
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BB2830 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:59 pm

My DD attended a tryout last Spring and was invited to 2 Jamborees through that tryout. Unless you are playing for a travel coach connected with the folks at OD or have a personal coach that can get you in it seems this is the way you have to go. We play for an upper mid level org and although they actually have connections with OD she needed to attend a tryout to get the Jamboree opportunity. She attended both the Zoom and Colorado Jamborees last year and through those venues did get some coaches out to her games at both events. That being said, even at the Jamborees it seems that unless you are a pitcher, absolute stud fielder, sub 2.8 home to first or power hitter it can be difficult to get noticed with the large volume of players that have to be run through each of the stations.

We generated most of our initial interest by taking video at games and sending out many, many e-mails to schools on my DD's interest list. The consistency of the e-mails, NOT just the week of or before a showcase or event and having the videos attached for a quick view of the player in action is what got the coaches out to her games. We chose Fastpitch Scout for our recruiting efforts, made it very easy to send out e-mails, have current coach and asst. coach contact info, post videos and profile information, game schedules and locations and keep the coaches informed of her progress. Multiple coaches complimented the website and stated the consistency of the e-mails again as the reason they came to check her out initially. From there it is up to the player. One other thing stated many times here on HB is the presence the player presents on the field and in the dugout, as a teammate and to and from the car. Many positive comments were made about how my DD reacted to failures on the field. Having that "moment" doesn't hurt but the college coaches are looking at much more than the outcome, at bat, pitching result, etc. Even failures can lead to opportunities!!!
BB2830

by tbjd33 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:13 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:Thanks for the input in response to my original post. If I understand the process correctly, at the tryout the girls need to "stand out" enough to warrant an invite to a Jamboree where they will be seen by college coaches. It sounds similar to PGF camps in that there may be 150 girls "trying out." I guess I wonder how many girls actually get on coach's radar at the Jamboree and ultimately verbal or sign with one of those coaches? I suppose that unless your DD is an absolute stud that tends to "stand out" anyway, it all comes down to good timing and finding a coach that see's enough in your DD to either extend an offer or continue to watch her progression.
Thanks again!

No need to be a stud... There are many different coaches looking at different things. Coaches go for specific positions and/or specific grad years. Not as simple as the stud!

During my DD's experience we heard many times coaches refer to On Deck and how she performed around like competition. They loved how she adapted quickly to the fast pace and maintained her energy and love the entire day or two days. It showed she was coachable as well as talented.

I am a huge fan of On Deck and Derrick and Joanne. They truly value each DD. They are very good talent evaluators and they are very open to questions and offer great feedback. They submit a report on each player at Jamborees and Elite camps.

On the college camps I agree they are huge, BUT they are also mostly money makers for coaches and college players more than recruiting tools. It is rare a DD shows up and gets an offer. Maybe on the radar but not an offer. Now Elite prospect camps your DD will have a better chance. Though I recommend not attending unless invited by the school. That's when the schools have invited their list of players they are actively recruiting. They are separate from the money makers in the camp. They will spend all the time and tour campus. Those are DDs they will potentially offer. At that point they have already evaluated the player at games and camps like On Deck. So at this point they ask themselves Do we like them personally or can they fit into our culture.

Everyone's path is different and that's my two cents based on the feed back I received and was a part of. I asked a million bold questions so I feel my insight is pretty good and fresh as my DD finally committed this fall.

On Deck all the way!!

Very cool. Thanks for the assessment. You mention invitations to prospect camps. I received a number of emails this fall for specific college's prospect camps during the Christmas break and into January. Are these truly "invites?" The message was addressed to my daughter by name. I wondered if they got my email from PGF or some other database. Don't true invites have to go through the TB or HS coach?

Those emails are generally sent in mass. I'm referring to invites coming from your travel coach or through a phone call with the coach. In some cases it's an email to your DD being forwarded by her travel coach.

They get emails for mass mailings from bio's at showcases, PGF, your travel website, etc... They are generally sent by softball operations person. Every school does it. I will say it is always good to get an invite no matter how small. It is interest and it means Your DD is a prospect and that's always good.

Sounds like she's headed in the right direction good luck keep us posted. I love hearing any positive news on recruiting!
tbjd33

by tbjd33 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:35 pm

softballjerk wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:Would appreciate opinions from those who have experience with the On Deck process/system. Is it worth the money? What results (exposure) did your DD get? Have only heard good things, but would like other opinions before investing.
Thanks!

OD jumped the shark a few years ago, when they added more and more camps and qualifying camps to get into other camps. They aligned with TCS and like anything TCS touches, it becomes about profitability 1st and foremost and they aren't afraid to test the threshold about how much of your money they can take from you.

In the past, participating in the OD camp, meant the you were actually scouted at a tournament, and they felt you were worthy of being a participant in one of their camps - and you'd get an invite.

That may still be true, to some degree, but I'm afraid that with more and more camps coming from them, $$$ may be more of the focus now days.

SBJ man sounds like you've had a ton of bad experiences. If you take this approach in real sodtball life you aren't helping your DD. Parents need to help in every way and make damn sure we do nothing to get in the way of their goals/dreams. Remember they are recruiting parents/families just as much as the player. That's a fact!

Stop worrying about how people make money and how others spend it. In this game and life nothing is fair. The talented and hard workers get the spoils!

Is what it is...
tbjd33

by PDad » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:43 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
PDad wrote:

I did check on a couple of them. 1 or 2 other girls received them from our team. Any idea about invites required to go through coaches?

I would take it as a good sign if only 1-2 of the entire team received an invite, presuming most of the team isn't already committed.

D-I's general rule is recruiting materials can't be sent directly until Sept 1 of their junior year, however there are exceptions including camp/clinic information. If your DD isn't a junior yet, it appears there shouldn't be any recruiting language directed towards her. Calling it a "prospect camp" may be a way around that - or it may just be marketing. They can only limit entrants by number, age, grade level and/or gender.

You can get an idea of what class(es) a specific D-I school is recruiting by looking at verbal lists (e.g. GoldFastpitch.com). If you're still not sure, have DD call the coach and ask them.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:03 pm

PDad wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:
PDad wrote:

I would take it as a good sign if only 1-2 of the entire team received an invite, presuming most of the team isn't already committed.

D-I's general rule is recruiting materials can't be sent directly until Sept 1 of their junior year, however there are exceptions including camp/clinic information. If your DD isn't a junior yet, it appears there shouldn't be any recruiting language directed towards her. Calling it a "prospect camp" may be a way around that - or it may just be marketing. They can only limit entrants by number, age, grade level and/or gender.

You can get an idea of what class(es) a specific D-I school is recruiting by looking at verbal lists (e.g. GoldFastpitch.com).

That's huge probably the most important thing outside of "do they have her major" question. Also check out Flosoftball.com. They update weekly and Brentt Eads is on point.
tbjd33

by Fastpitch4Life » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate both of your opinions. DD is a freshman, so other than a letter and campus information after PGF last summer, no direct contact. Other than the Hi .... greeting, all the camp invites seem canned, which it sounds like is all that they can do at this age. Thanks again. Its hard to believe after 9 years of playing for fun, it's now starting for real. :shock:
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions