Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

update-tb coach tells team dont swing at 1st strike...

What's on your mind?

by crankshaft » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:22 am

WHAT dont swing at first strike Craziness!
Every game your team would be 21 strikes in the whole.
The other team would be 21 strikes ahead!

This may be a make-it-or-break-it kick you to the curb coach thing. Don't think could handle coach not letting players swing at first strike. If I read this correct, its not talking about don't swing at first pitch this was about cant swing at the first strike. Craziness!
crankshaft

by 110% » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:39 pm

At the better skill levels, levels where pitchers aren't just throwing the ball over the plate, but are working and hitting spots, you want to teach hitters to be ready to hit ALL pitches, including the first. Yes, Yes, Yes/No mentality.

However, that said, hitting a first pitch strike should normally be done when it's to the hitters strength. This means a hitter who is strong middle in and down, if they see that pitch, hit it. If they're a middle out and up hitter and they see that, hit it. But a middle in and down hitter shouldn't hit a ball middle out and up just because it's a strike. Since most pitchers work in and out and down and up, there's good chance to see your "hit zone" pitch.

While Pitchers do want to get ahead in the count and will often try to start with a strike, it's not going to be down the pipe, again at levels where pitchers can pitch. Letting a first pitch ride and going down in the count 0-1 isn't the end of the world. The difference in average is about .15 it's the second strike that is critical.

Also, know that if you took that first pitch strike, the pitcher, catcher or coach calling pitches is probably thinking to throw it again at some point so be looking for that pitch, maybe as they go for the strikeout if you get behind by 2 strikes. .

Teams that win have a high OBP, not just high batting averages, so teach them to get on base.
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 am

110% To your point about 2nd strike being critical...it wouldnt be the 2nd strike if you didnt have to let the 1st strike go by!

To your point, the coaches strategy just put the batter in a more critical situation.

Also to your point about coaches pitchers and catchers noticing you let a strike go by. If they're paying enough attention to pitch selection like that,
They are probably recognizing that every one of your batters is letting the first strike go by!

It doesn't mean they are going to pipe the first pitch. But it does mean they have found a weakness!
crankshaft

by 110% » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Crankshaft,

I DID NOT say to take the first strike or first pitch. I said to take it if it's not to a hitters strength. If the pitch is to the hitters hit zone, her area of strength then of course they hit away. It's very unlikely pitchers, coaches or catchers from other teams have books on your hitters so they don't know each hitters strength to avoid. On average, Batting averages drop just .15 going from 0-0 to 0-1 so you haven't lost anything, but you may gain a lot.

The hitters go to the plate anticipating swinging, yes, yes, yes because they know the pitcher wants to get ahead. It's just a matter if it's in their hit zone. A good hitting coach will try to expand his players hit zones, making them larger so there are more opportunities.

Your hitter crushes balls down and in, do you want her swinging at that first strike if it's letter high and out just because it's a strike?

I don't believe on sitting on strikes any more than anyone else, but the odds of getting one you can hit is good. Because each hitter has different strengths there is no formula for throwing one down the pipe, throw it down and in or up and out because you don't know the hitters. Of course the situations can dictate at bats as well.
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Did not say you did.
Was commenting on the important feedback you mentioned to support the conversation!
crankshaft

by crankshaft » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:31 pm

crankshaft wrote:110% To your point about 2nd strike being critical...it wouldnt be the 2nd strike if you didnt have to let the 1st strike go by!

To your point, the coaches strategy just put the batter in a more critical situation.

Also to your point about coaches pitchers and catchers noticing you let a strike go by. If they're paying enough attention to pitch selection like that,
They are probably recognizing that every one of your batters is letting the first strike go by!

It doesn't mean they are going to pipe the first pitch. But it does mean they have found a weakness!

In the first paragraph wrote
"2nd strike being critical, wouldn't be the 2nd strike if you didn't have to let the 1st strike go by."
"you" was referencing the
batter.
crankshaft

by crankshaft » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:04 am

http://www.theoleballgame.
a ... lysis.html
(link earlier on pg. 1 of post works)
Post earlier by Chin Music
Has a good stats avg chart.
Its a baseball chart.
Shows avg's with pitch counts.
Lowest batting average is
with 0-1 count on batter.
Yeah on that chart the margin on batters hitting average fluctuates about .15 with either a ball or strike on the pitch count.

An at bat is weakend by letting a strike go by and dropping the batting average by
.15 (lessor chance of success) The next time they step in the box batter has already lowered their batting average with a lessor chance of success. By letting the first strike go by again lowers .15 again. With a decreasing chance of success the batting average will continue to drop.

That may seem marginal but if we're talking about it happening to every batter on the team... team's batting average has dropped dramatically and will continue to suffer the cycle.
Craziness!
crankshaft

by Dad of lefty » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:35 am

Ultimately you want to hit yours not theirs...
Go up to the plate with a plan.
When you're ahead in the count it's silly to hack at somthing that's not what you want.
First pitch you want to be sitting on what you want. Not all strikes are created equal.
I want my girls looking for somthing fat in in their wheelhouse anything else leave it Be. If she goes up there swinging at a "pitcher's" pitch 0-0 we are going to have a discussion.
Dad of lefty

by Sam » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:58 am

Dad of lefty wrote:Ultimately you want to hit yours not theirs...
Go up to the plate with a plan.
When you're ahead in the count it's silly to hack at somthing that's not what you want.
First pitch you want to be sitting on what you want. Not all strikes are created equal.
I want my girls looking for somthing fat in in their wheelhouse anything else leave it Be. If she goes up there swinging at a "pitcher's" pitch 0-0 we are going to have a discussion.

Please don't confuse these idiots with solid advice. They would rather have their kids swinging at 1st pitches on the corners at the knees and hitting weak ground ball outs than taking those pitches and waiting for the pitcher to make a mistake. I wish I was still coaching......lots of morons out there now.....more than ever.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:29 am

Hitting is fun,
Step in the box ready to have fun!

CRUSH IT !!!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions