Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

update-tb coach tells team dont swing at 1st strike...

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 am

With less than 2 strikes, you don't want your batter to just be swinging at strikes. You want them looking for a pitch in their favorite hitting zone.....something they are looking for prior to the pitch even being thrown.

There are also situational reasons for not swinging until a strike is called:

1) Pitcher has just thrown 9 pitches in a row outside the strike zone
2) Your team is down a couple of runs in the last inning.
3) First pitch changeup you're not looking for

As a rule, I cut my hitters loose and trust that they will implement the hitting strategy they have been taught. I also don't give hitting lessons during an at bat......like many others I see.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:19 am

Sam wrote:With less than 2 strikes, you don't want your batter to just be swinging at strikes. You want them looking for a pitch in their favorite hitting zone.....something they are looking for prior to the pitch even being thrown.

There are also situational reasons for not swinging until a strike is called:

1) Pitcher has just thrown 9 pitches in a row outside the strike zone
2) Your team is down a couple of runs in the last inning.
3) First pitch changeup you're not looking for

As a rule, I cut my hitters loose and trust that they will implement the hitting strategy they have been taught. I also don't give hitting lessons during an at bat......like many others I see.

Coach during practice, manage during the game.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Chin Music » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:20 am

If u were taught how to hit an inside and outside strike be aggressive! Sit on speed.
Yes Sam the coaches that give the hitting lessons from the coaches box are always entertaining!
The ones that give the visuals take that entertainment to another level.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by E Train Dad » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:01 am

Sam, Great point! DD is 2nd year 18U, heading to play college ball in the fall, we still see 3rd base coaches teaching a swing after every pitch! Parents are laughing at these clowns, thinking they are still in wreck ball!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:57 am

[quote="Sam"]With less than 2 strikes, you don't want your batter to just be swinging at strikes. You want them looking for a pitch in their favorite hitting zone....[quote="Sam"]

* A strike is the hitting zone-
Hinky

by Sam » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Hinky wrote:
Sam wrote:With less than 2 strikes, you don't want your batter to just be swinging at strikes. You want them looking for a pitch in their favorite hitting zone....
Sam wrote:
* A strike is the hitting zone-

A pitch thrown belt high down the middle is different than one thrown kneecap high on the outside corner. I'm teaching them to hit a pitcher's mistake with less than 2 strikes, not hit the pitch the pitcher wants them to hit.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:11 pm

With less than 2 strikes I want them to attack strikes! Good to great hitters, their favorite zone is a strike not limited to one spot. I like to develop hitters that a pitchers mistake is to throw them a strike!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:57 pm

:D Prefer to have hitters attacking strikes then be in the hole with 2 strikes, because those were not their "favorite" strikes. Agree with Chin, good to great hitters HIT strikes regardless of location....
learning to hit all strikes means every strike is their favorite!
Prefer teaching hitters to hit pitches that are not only strikes but off the plate in and out, high and low to develop the ability to be solid even with two strikes and protect the plate. And for hit & run situation to be able to produce regardless of count, or location.
Hinky

by Sam » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 am

Hinky wrote::D Prefer to have hitters attacking strikes then be in the hole with 2 strikes, because those were not their "favorite" strikes. Agree with Chin, good to great hitters HIT strikes regardless of location....
learning to hit all strikes means every strike is their favorite!
Prefer teaching hitters to hit pitches that are not only strikes but off the plate in and out, high and low to develop the ability to be solid even with two strikes and protect the plate. And for hit & run situation to be able to produce regardless of count, or location.

I could only hope that I get to call pitches against your team at some point...... :D
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:07 am

Sam- Your 10u coaching strategy to wait for a belt high meat pitch in the middle of the plate make sense....in 10u ;)
Hinky

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions