Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

update-tb coach tells team dont swing at 1st strike...

What's on your mind?

by Chin Music » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:45 am

U must be an idiot or a moron! jk
Hack away!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:39 am

Got this data from by DD's hitting coach. Written from pitcher's perspective, but you get the drift.

Powerful data from D1 Baseball in 2018 about the value of the first pitch strike!

➡️67% of strikeouts started w/ 1st pitch strikes
➡️74% of walks started w/ 1st pitch balls
➡️93% of 1st pitch strikes led to an out or strike one / meaning 7% of 1st pitch strikes became hits

Pitchers are going to try to throw a strike on their first pitch in baseball. What would change in softball? If anyone has better stats, please post.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:13 am

Very successful career stepping in the box ready to hit the ball.
Smart to be ready!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:First pitch
Or
First strike...

Originally this conversation was
A coach not letting batters swing
at 1st strike.
In other words always letting
the first strike go by.

Swing or not at first pitch
different topic.

As far as what the first pitch is or should be... Would be a bad pattern to always throw 1st pitch strike.
With small ball, & lefty slap/drive hitters
pitch selections would differ with game situations.

Some hitters are extremely disciplined and may wait for "their" pitch. Most I have seen in TB and HS are not. DD's HS coach always wants to see a strike. TB coaches have always told her to hit first strike. She is a really good 2 strike hitter but sometimes rips 1st pitch. No right or wrong answer here. I was just providing statistical data that I thought was interesting.
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:00 pm

SMASHING RIP CITY ROCKET SHOTS
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eddiez577 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:First pitch
Or
First strike...

Originally this conversation was
A coach not letting batters swing
at 1st strike.
In other words always letting
the first strike go by.

Swing or not at first pitch
different topic.

As far as what the first pitch is or should be... Would be a bad pattern to always throw 1st pitch strike.
With small ball, & lefty slap/drive hitters
pitch selections would differ with game situations.

Some hitters are extremely disciplined and may wait for "their" pitch. Most I have seen in TB and HS are not. DD's HS coach always wants to see a strike. TB coaches have always told her to hit first strike. She is a really good 2 strike hitter but sometimes rips 1st pitch. No right or wrong answer here. I was just providing statistical data that I thought was interesting.

Pitchers should be thinking "strike, strike,strike" in their head. Batters should be thinking "hit, hit, hit". The moment they start looking for the pitcher to walk them, they might lose the "hit" mentality. I want the batters to go up there confident that they will get a hit, extra-base or otherwise. If they get walked, then no biggie, they'll get their hit later ;)
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:22 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:
Sam wrote:
Dad of lefty wrote:Ultimately you want to hit yours not theirs...
Go up to the plate with a plan.
When you're ahead in the count it's silly to hack at somthing that's not what you want.
First pitch you want to be sitting on what you want. Not all strikes are created equal.
I want my girls looking for somthing fat in in their wheelhouse anything else leave it Be. If she goes up there swinging at a "pitcher's" pitch 0-0 we are going to have a discussion.

Please don't confuse these idiots with solid advice. They would rather have their kids swinging at 1st pitches on the corners at the knees and hitting weak ground ball outs than taking those pitches and waiting for the pitcher to make a mistake. I wish I was still coaching......lots of morons out there now.....more than ever.

Are you ok with hitters
swinging at 1st strike
if the batter likes it!

My answer = YES!

We agree....if the pitch is piped down the middle. The hitter needs to be coached to understand what pitches they SHOULD like.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 am

Fastpitch4Life wrote:Got this data from by DD's hitting coach. Written from pitcher's perspective, but you get the drift.

Powerful data from D1 Baseball in 2018 about the value of the first pitch strike!

➡️93% of 1st pitch strikes led to an out or strike one / meaning 7% of 1st pitch strikes became hits

Pitchers are going to try to throw a strike on their first pitch in baseball. What would change in softball? If anyone has better stats, please post.

The 93% stat is hilarious. D1 baseball is saying that batters hit .070 when the first pitch thrown to them is a strike??? That is f#cking stupid.....beyond belief. Nobody here questioned this obvious mistake.

AL hitters from 2015-2017:

"1. Hitters who took a first-pitch strike instead of swinging took a 21-point hit to their batting average (from .345 to .321).

2. Once a hitter takes that first pitch strike, he won’t return to the same odds of success again until getting to a 2-1 count.

3. Somewhat surprisingly, batting averages don’t change much from a 0-0 pitch (.345) to 1-0 (.344) or 2-0 (.350), counts that would be more advantageous to the hitter. But averages skyrocket 57 points when going from 2-0 to 3-0, and even a 3-1 count is the second most advantageous (.363).

4. Any count with two strikes is a major advantage to the pitcher. Averages disappear to .157 for 0-2, .166 for 1-2, .183 for 2-2, and even .211 for 3-2."

These hitters are taught to be disciplined and not swing at any 1st pitch strike......just mistakes by the pitcher.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:02 pm

Sam wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:Got this data from by DD's hitting coach. Written from pitcher's perspective, but you get the drift.

The 93% stat is hilarious. D1 baseball is saying that batters hit .070 when the first pitch thrown to them is a strike??? That is f#cking stupid.....beyond belief. Nobody here questioned this obvious mistake.

"1. Hitters who took a first-pitch strike instead of swinging took a 21-point hit to their batting average (from .345 to .321).

2. Once a hitter takes that first pitch strike, he won’t return to the same odds of success again until getting to a 2-1 count.

3. Somewhat surprisingly, batting averages don’t change much from a 0-0 pitch (.345) to 1-0 (.344) or 2-0 (.350), counts that would be more advantageous to the hitter. But averages skyrocket 57 points when going from 2-0 to 3-0, and even a 3-1 count is the second most advantageous (.363).

4. Any count with two strikes is a major advantage to the pitcher. Averages disappear to .157 for 0-2, .166 for 1-2, .183 for 2-2, and even .211 for 3-2."

These hitters are taught to be disciplined and not swing at any 1st pitch strike......just mistakes by the pitcher.

https://www.weinsteinbaseball.com/strikes/

I just guessing that this guy knows a little more about it than you, based upon his credentials.
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
Sam wrote:

https://www.weinsteinbaseball.com/strikes/

I'm just guessing that this guy knows a little more about it than you, based upon his credentials He's sticking with the 93% first strike pitch stat.
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions