Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

update-tb coach tells team dont swing at 1st strike...

What's on your mind?

by Hinky » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:30 am

travel ball 14u coach tells his team all the time to let the first strike go by and not swing at it, And then tells players
"now your ready"...that's his strategy, says you're not ready until you see a strike.
I'm saying what the heck to that?!!! Much prefer to have my hitter's stepping in the box ready to hit the ball and not dig a hole for them by making them always take a strike.
Its one thing to pay attention to a pitcher strategy and taking some pitches in the beginning of the game to see what they're up to, either coming at you or making you chase pitches, but a coach thats strategy is ALWAYS to tell his batters not to swing until they get a strike IMO is wrong! the team tends to have a lot of strikeouts...yes the team is directed by the coach and the coaches strategy is what it is.
so then how do you address this? when you find out after you paid your start-up fees Etc and the coaches strategy is hurting the team... what's your thoughts on always letting a strike go by, and how to address this?
*it is not something that I have to deal with, however it is something that other players and Families are frustrated with and feedback might help them through this.
Last edited by Hinky on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hinky

by eclipse09 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:40 am

My kid was always taught to jump on the first strike she sees as it might be the best pitch she will see the whole at bat.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by toner297 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 am

I tell my girls to think like a pitcher if pitching to yourself would you rather start with a ball or strike hence attack the first pitch if it there :D
toner297
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:31 am

Many coaches use this strategy ... It is not mine ... A HS coach near here makes his team run hills for every first pitch each player swings at during a game, regardless of their success with that swing.

I prefer to let batters look for a pitch they want to hit and not automatically put themselves in a hole.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:16 pm

Chances are that coach never played ball!!! As a pitcher I always try and get ahead on the first pitch as a coach I watch and look out for coaches like him that direct his batters to sit on the first pitch so I in turn can tell my pitchers "get ahead early they aint gonna swing at the first pitch".....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:00 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:Chances are that coach never played ball!!! As a pitcher I always try and get ahead on the first pitch as a coach I watch and look out for coaches like him that direct his batters to sit on the first pitch so I in turn can tell my pitchers "get ahead early they aint gonna swing at the first pitch".....

I agree ... Probably a little bit than most on this site ... But back in the day this was something that was often (mis)used in Little League Baseball ... I didn't like it then either. All that being said; there are times when I do tell my athletes that "you are looking :shock: until you get a strike on you" ... But that is against a struggling and or tired pitcher who can't find the zone.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MrGeek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 pm

I think there is a time to be patient and a time to be aggressive. If I see my hitters being overly aggressive and not timing a pitcher well or right after a pitching change, take a pitch. There are also times when a pitcher is being predictable. That would be when you have your hitters go get it. Game situations should dictate over a blanket statement like that.
MrGeek
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Geek I do agree with you to some extent.... But I have always had a "punch them in the mouth first" approach because there is nothing worse as a pitcher then to have a batter hitting you hard right out the gate. Whether its an out or not if they are making hard contact that means they got my timing. But yes there is a time and place to hold up but for me its not at the start of a game, I tell my girls to "swing the bat with bad intentions"!! Its the easiest way to get a pitcher off their game and when that happens they usually try to overthrow and end up flattening out their pitches .... I guess at the end of the day everybody has there own strategy.....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by E Train Dad » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:17 pm

In my experience, the first pitch is usually the best pitch! I agree with another poster here, step on their throat early and often!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:46 pm

It’s proven in baseball that there’s more success hitting early in the count. I feel it applies to fastpitch also especially as the girls get older. If the pitcher has any kind of control u should see one Good one within 2 pitches. Sit on speed! The pitcher is trying to work ahead.

http://www.theoleballgame.com/batting-a ... lysis.html
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions