Fastpitch Discussions

Toxic Players

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:48 am

Skarp wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Hinky wrote:
Sam wrote:
Hinky wrote:ln travel ball - looks like the consensus here is to get rid of the toxic player. Then why is it some travel ball coaches, even those that have been around for years, will let their teams be affected by its
negative effects?!
the coach may be thinking in a few months I'll drop them when the team is done this summer....yet the negative effects show families and other players the coach is inable (or doesnt want to) make a better decision. And leaves all the other players and families in the situation to have to endure the BS of toxicity.
IMO
leaving toxic on the team shows the coach is ok with crappy behavior. the coach then becomes a bad role model just like the player! Bottom line,
No excuse for bad behavior!!!

what's your thoughts on coaches that let this happen?

Lots of variables.....maybe they can't get rid of them because it is their DD who is the disruptive player. Maybe the player is extremely talented.....and the coach thinks he can replace the players that choose to leave easier than the disruptive player can be replaced. Maybe the coach is in denial that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Maybe the coach is giving the kid an opportunity to improve. Lots of factors and I'm sure I didn't name all of them.

One guarantee: If the kid isn't that talented, they will go immediately.

Ah'haa nothing like double standards and an excuse basket!

reminds everybody to watch coach/players how things are at practice/games before making a commitment!!

One other possibility is that early on, sometimes a coach can be unsure of who the real problem is ... Think about a football game where the one who draws the flag is not the instigator ... I fired an employee many years back and afterwards, the foreman came to me and pointed out that I fired the wrong one ... After being pointed in the right direction I quickly remedied that problem.

I obviously can't speak for all situations, but in my experience if a player is toxic it manifests itself not only in her interactions with her teammates (which a coach may or may not personally witness), but also in her performance and demeanor on the practice field and in competition. The source of toxicity is typically narcissism at some level or another--a feeling of personal entitlement that absolves one from playing by the same rules, putting in the same effort, reciprocating kindness and respect, etc.--and that species of flawed character almost inevitably shows up on the field.

Check out the big brain on Skarp......
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:56 am

Skarp wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Hinky wrote:
Sam wrote:
Hinky wrote:ln travel ball - looks like the consensus here is to get rid of the toxic player. Then why is it some travel ball coaches, even those that have been around for years, will let their teams be affected by its
negative effects?!
the coach may be thinking in a few months I'll drop them when the team is done this summer....yet the negative effects show families and other players the coach is inable (or doesnt want to) make a better decision. And leaves all the other players and families in the situation to have to endure the BS of toxicity.
IMO
leaving toxic on the team shows the coach is ok with crappy behavior. the coach then becomes a bad role model just like the player! Bottom line,
No excuse for bad behavior!!!

what's your thoughts on coaches that let this happen?

Lots of variables.....maybe they can't get rid of them because it is their DD who is the disruptive player. Maybe the player is extremely talented.....and the coach thinks he can replace the players that choose to leave easier than the disruptive player can be replaced. Maybe the coach is in denial that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Maybe the coach is giving the kid an opportunity to improve. Lots of factors and I'm sure I didn't name all of them.

One guarantee: If the kid isn't that talented, they will go immediately.

Ah'haa nothing like double standards and an excuse basket!

reminds everybody to watch coach/players how things are at practice/games before making a commitment!!

One other possibility is that early on, sometimes a coach can be unsure of who the real problem is ... Think about a football game where the one who draws the flag is not the instigator ... I fired an employee many years back and afterwards, the foreman came to me and pointed out that I fired the wrong one ... After being pointed in the right direction I quickly remedied that problem.

I obviously can't speak for all situations, but in my experience if a player is toxic it manifests itself not only in her interactions with her teammates (which a coach may or may not personally witness), but also in her performance and demeanor on the practice field and in competition. The source of toxicity is typically narcissism at some level or another--a feeling of personal entitlement that absolves one from playing by the same rules, putting in the same effort, reciprocating kindness and respect, etc.--and that species of flawed character almost inevitably shows up on the field.

[/quote] The source of toxicity
is typically narcissism at some level or another [/quote]

By that example proves a self perpetuating flawed character inevitably shows up everywhere !
Hinky

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:56 am

Spazsdad wrote:
Sam wrote:Check out the big brain on Skarp......

Was it ever in question?

Well tarp my harp, you mean Skarp is sharp ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Skarp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:51 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:

Was it ever in question?

Skarp's fumbling and bumbling through life, just like everyone else...
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:03 am

Skarp wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:

Was it ever in question?

Skarp's fumbling and bumbling through life, just like everyone else...

LOL ... My problem is that someone keeps rearranging the furniture
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions