Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Swing mechanics or timing???

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:17 pm

So, I always thought your swing mechanics have to be good for you to hit well. I mean I always knew timing was important but your swing needs to be solid, right?!?! Your timing could be off a little bit, but your swing cannot be otherwise your gonna miss hit everything even a meatball?!?!

So was my belief until this weekend in Reno at the men's nationals there was some amazing pitchers up there, Tony Mancha, Rob Schweyer, Will Maddux, Ryan Webb just to name a few. The level of play was outstanding the hitters as well were pretty damn impressive I watched Jason Porto (team USA) go yard on a few pitchers, myself included. However aside from some of the well polished hitters there were a ton of other hitters that hit very very well. I watched some of these hitters, trying to pick up a thing or two. What I noticed were some of them, for all intents and purposes had mechanically flawed swings but hit the shit out of the ball anyways.

The more I watched them (and some I faced), I realized in spite of their bad hitting mechanics they were consistent and hit hard. The thing I noticed about all of them was they seemed to have the exact same timing on the pitchers they were facing, it was pretty impressive. So this led me to start thinking whats more important a flawless swing or great timing??? As a hitter what would I rather have my kids work on?!?!

What say the hitting GURUS?!?!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eddiez577 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:whats more important a flawless swing or great timing??? As a hitter what would I rather have my kids work on?!?!

What say the hitting GURUS?!?!

Timing gets you the hit. Swing mechanics gets you the hit you want.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:24 pm

I like that one eddie!!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by E Train Dad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:48 pm

You should see my golf swing, it's a thing of beauty!! Right up until you see the ball go off into the woods! :lol:
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:35 pm

As Spaz said. Contact spots with an aggressive hack! The more times ur on time with the aggressive hack the more u pound the ball!
Curv, what ball were they takin u deep with?
I played with Ryan’s dad Dennis for years. Both were studs.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:45 pm

The NAFA ball low seams but still hard .44/.375, and for the record Porto went 1 for 3 against me granted it was a homerun but it was a solo shot!! We beat them 9-1 with a "W" on my record. Ryan threw very well
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Are the hitters with bad hitting mechanics getting hits because of their timing or in spite of their bad mechanics ?

Good mechanics mean nothing without good timing, but good timing can give you contact without* good mechanics.

:idea: Timing

*edited to correct with to without
Last edited by GIMNEPIWO on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Yes GIMNE, that was my point they some hitters had BAD mechanics but they had good timing and they just flat out smashed!!! It was impressive thats what got me thinking, mechanics or timing?? I always sided with timing but I just wanted to hear what some of the hitting GURUS had to say
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:42 am

curveballerguy124 wrote:Yes GIMNE, that was my point they some hitters had BAD mechanics but they had good timing and they just flat out smashed!!! It was impressive thats what got me thinking, mechanics or timing?? I always sided with timing but I just wanted to hear what some of the hitting GURUS had to say

LOL ... Not sure what qualifies as an actual Guru ... But I'm guessing that someone that charges for lessons teaching mechanics would take the stance that natural timing is more important ... I could be wrong :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 am

To your question...
What would you have your players work on?
Both :P at the same time!
While a hitting tee has some usefulness. Always prefer a moving softball for training hitting and training timing!
Hitting mechanics ongoing age-old debate, can't recall anyone arguing about great timing.

Curve, what's your ratio of off speed pitches and change-ups you mix in?
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions