Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitch for contact or pitch for strikeout?

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:19 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
jonriv wrote:Seen very successful college k pitchers

I have seen successful college contact pitchers

I have seen both types get smoked by certain lineups

All depends on the pitcher and/or the lineup

Really? You think so, Doctor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgPaWpxl2cw

Be nice Tyler!!!

My point is that we tend to ask Black and White questions and usually the answers are various shades of gray
jonriv

by Desmo13 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:09 pm

efficeincy.. ground them out, pop them up, next batter.
Desmo13
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 am

I've seen enough stupid replies. NOBODY pitches to contact. NOBODY. The GOAL of the pitcher is to PREVENT the batter from hitting the ball. Period. Anyone that says different has no idea what they are talking about.

There are certainly situations where your pitcher will attempt to throw more hittable pitches....walk three in a row in a tie ballgame late with at 3-1 count.....you might groove a pitch just to avoid walking in a run. Other than that, your pitcher and the person calling the pitches, have one goal.....strike out every batter.

I don't want any pitcher that gives up on striking out every hitter.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Sam wrote:I've seen enough stupid replies. NOBODY pitches to contact. NOBODY. The GOAL of the pitcher is to PREVENT the batter from hitting the ball. Period. Anyone that says different has no idea what they are talking about.

There are certainly situations where your pitcher will attempt to throw more hittable pitches....walk three in a row in a tie ballgame late with at 3-1 count.....you might groove a pitch just to avoid walking in a run. Other than that, your pitcher and the person calling the pitches, have one goal.....strike out every batter.

Well Sam I beg to differ, respectively of course.....Don't get me wrong I see your point about being aggressive and having the approach of wanting to strike out every batter. Truth is, that ain't gonna happen and the pitcher and the coach needs to know what that pitchers ability is and use her strengths to their advantage.

Example; This past month I pitched at the mens nationals in Reno. I was throwing WELL velocity was up, hitting my spots, moving the ball well. We faced a very tough team, strong hitting squad a lot of upper division and open ball hitters. Guys that have faced pitchers the likes of Adam Folkard, Ramon Jones ISC level type pitchers. I went in with the, "F these guys they've never seen or faced me before I'm going at them hard rack up some K's ". Needless to say, I never made it out the 2nd inning and gave up 8 EARNED runs. The guy that came in, in relief of me basically pitched to contact working low and to the corners and the D made the outs, we almost came back to win.

My point is, its ALWAYS the pitchers job to PREVENT the batter from hitting the ball WELL!!! If you get a strike out or two or three along the way then great but max strikeouts should not be the the main objective in my opinion. Getting out of a inning or game with the least amount of pitches thrown should be.

I lost sight of that in that game because I was going after K's and bragging rights but the next day I pitched with my standard approach of "keeping the batter from hitting the ball well". I racked up 3 K's and the win against the team that mercy'd the team that beat the shit out of me the day before...
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Desmo13 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:53 pm

I think the pitcher and catcher work with what they have that game, and the hitters faced. Example, faced with a bunt situation, the catcher will call pitches that will pop the bunt up, or foul it off until 2 bunt strikes, then call for the swinging strike.
Desmo13
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:17 am

curveballerguy124 wrote:
Sam wrote:I've seen enough stupid replies. NOBODY pitches to contact. NOBODY. The GOAL of the pitcher is to PREVENT the batter from hitting the ball. Period. Anyone that says different has no idea what they are talking about.

Well Sam I beg to differ, respectively of course.....Don't get me wrong I see your point about being aggressive and having the approach of wanting to strike out every batter. Truth is, that ain't gonna happen and the pitcher and the coach needs to know what that pitchers ability is and use her strengths to their advantage.

Example; This past month I pitched at the mens nationals in Reno. I was throwing WELL velocity was up, hitting my spots, moving the ball well. We faced a very tough team, strong hitting squad a lot of upper division and open ball hitters. Guys that have faced pitchers the likes of Adam Folkard, Ramon Jones ISC level type pitchers. I went in with the, "F these guys they've never seen or faced me before I'm going at them hard rack up some K's ". Needless to say, I never made it out the 2nd inning and gave up 8 EARNED runs. The guy that came in, in relief of me basically pitched to contact working low and to the corners and the D made the outs, we almost came back to win.

My point is, its ALWAYS the pitchers job to PREVENT the batter from hitting the ball WELL!!! If you get a strike out or two or three along the way then great but max strikeouts should not be the the main objective in my opinion. Getting out of a inning or game with the least amount of pitches thrown should be.

I lost sight of that in that game because I was going after K's and bragging rights but the next day I pitched with my standard approach of "keeping the batter from hitting the ball well". I racked up 3 K's and the win against the team that mercy'd the team that beat the shit out of me the day before...

CBG,
I understand your position and believe that we actually agree....you just look at it differently. I would argue that your reliever was trying to strike out the hitters by throwing to locations that were difficult to hit....thereby attempting to strike them out..... but was successful because the hitters were unable to hit the ball hard.

Side Note: Years ago I put together a team to play Eddie Feigner and The King and His Court. A local friend, Harry Fish (RIP), pitched for us and kept them off balance with offspeed junk all game long and we won 4-1. He struck out quite a few of them...which is what he was trying to do, though he wasn't going to be able to blow them away with speed.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:41 am

Sam wrote:I've seen enough stupid replies. NOBODY pitches to contact. NOBODY. The GOAL of the pitcher is to PREVENT the batter from hitting the ball. Period. Anyone that says different has no idea what they are talking ar

Of course the goal of a pitcher is to have the batter not make any or any good contact .. My point was from the perspective that strike outs, or a lot of strike out are not always the best thing for the teams defense.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Skarp » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:46 pm

Sam wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:

CBG,
I understand your position and believe that we actually agree....you just look at it differently. I would argue that your reliever was trying to strike out the hitters by throwing to locations that were difficult to hit....thereby attempting to strike them out..... but was successful because the hitters were unable to hit the ball hard.

Side Note: Years ago I put together a team to play Eddie Feigner and The King and His Court. A local friend, Harry Fish (RIP), pitched for us and kept them off balance with offspeed junk all game long and we won 4-1. He struck out quite a few of them...which is what he was trying to do, though he wasn't going to be able to blow them away with speed.

Agree that this is a distinction without a difference. If you are pitching to make hitters miss, you are by definition also pitching to make hitters mis-hit when they do manage to make contact. Intentionally trying to induce contact is playing with fire, imo.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lace » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:13 am

I tell my pitchers their job is to help us get three outs as fast as possible. Hit your spots move the ball and lets get outs.
Lace

by Sam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:14 pm

So.......Batting Average on Balls In Play (BABIP) is always higher than Batting Average on Balls Not In Play (BABNIP)......which is always .000

So.....if your pitcher isn't attempting to strike out every hitter, .....you should remove her because she is thereby attempting to allow the opponents to get hits/runs/wins. Thats math.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions