Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

QOD; Are pitchers born or made?

What's on your mind?

by eddiez577 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:31 am

:D QOD

Are pitchers born or made? Seems pitchers have some human qualities not present in most people. For example wanting to be put in the spotlight, and being able to block everyone so they can concentrate on pitching.

Or are pitchers made from necessity? They pick up skill, so sometimes reluctantly go to the mound and perform very well.

Or a combination of both?
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 am

They're hatched, just like their parents.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 pm

Great pitchers are made!! Granted there are some girls that get it right away and understand the motion of the arm. They tend to pick it up a little faster but pitching underhand, truly is an awkward motion. I have never seen someone be so naturally gifted that they pick it up immediately. The trick is teaching them at a young age before they pick up bad habits by going to multiple pitching coaches. So my opinion great pitchers are made....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 am

curveballerguy124 wrote:Great pitchers are made!! Granted there are some girls that get it right away and understand the motion of the arm. They tend to pick it up a little faster but pitching underhand, truly is an awkward motion. I have never seen someone be so naturally gifted that they pick it up immediately. The trick is teaching them at a young age before they pick up bad habits by going to multiple pitching coaches. So my opinion great pitchers are made....

Not a strange comment coming from an instructor.....but many great pitchers went to multiple pitching coaches. Some styles don't fit certain pitchers. Some go to different excellent instructors to hone their craft. I agree that it can be destructive at times. My kid tore up her shoulder and ended her playing days because I took her to a well recommended idiot who was teaching mens mechanics to a 5'0" female. It tore up her shoulder.....along with overuse. Its a double edged sword. Staying with one instructor may stunt the kid's progression. We went to Smith, Lindsay, the Idiot, and Sarno.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Dude IM me I wanna know who the idiot was?!?!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Pitchers are born. Without the raw materials the coach would have nothing to work with. The ability to pitch is like any other talent. Like a great singer, the voice needs to be there for a vocal coach to help hone into greatness. A pitcher is born, a great pitcher is trained

A think a pitcher is not only born with the physical ability, but must also have the mental strength to endure the training, practice and to handle the pressures a pitcher must endure.
jonriv

by Chin Music » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:39 am

Well who’s the idiot? Men’s mechanics? Clue us in.
Why did u keep bringing her to men instructors? (Smith, Sarno and idiot all former men’s pitchers)
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:19 am

Chin Music wrote:Well who’s the idiot? Men’s mechanics? Clue us in.
Why did u keep bringing her to men instructors? (Smith, Sarno and idiot all former men’s pitchers)

I don't remember the guy's name. Mexican dude that taught in a batting cage in Mira Loma. It was 16 years ago.

I took her to Mike Smith because he was generally considered to be excellent in 1998. Moved her over to Lindsay because it was tough to get to Smith. Both of them taught the same mechanics, legal and body appropriate. I thought she had maxed out on what she was getting taught, So I took her to the idiot for 3 lessons. She hurt her arm during the last one, one that her mother took her. Went on to Sarno after her surgery when she was trying to hang on. By far, Don was the best I have ever seen.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lace » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:33 am

You can teach pitch mechanics but you cant teach a big arm and the natural physical talent present in most great pitchers.
Lace

by eclipse09 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:00 pm

jonriv wrote:Pitchers are born. Without the raw materials the coach would have nothing to work with. The ability to pitch is like any other talent. Like a great singer, the voice needs to be there for a vocal coach to help hone into greatness. A pitcher is born, a great pitcher is trained

A think a pitcher is not only born with the physical ability, but must also have the mental strength to endure the training, practice and to handle the pressures a pitcher must endure.

JR you hit the nail on the head. The mental part is a big part of being a pitcher. Having the drive and determination to put all that work in at the same time being able to get past the highs and lows of softball is the biggest part of pitching.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions