Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

QOD; Define "effective coaching"

What's on your mind?

by eddiez577 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:14 am

Question of the Day:

Define "Effective Coaching"
We know what effective is. We know what coaching is.

Can you define effective coaching? Is it coaching up a 10u player to become an 18u gold stud and D1 prospect? Is it winning every top tournament at any cost?

I've met great coaches who are very nice and make great motivational speeches, win or lose.
I've met a**hole coaches who are cutthroat even before the first pitch is thrown, berate their players, but motivate indirectly and unintentionally through their bold will.
Not sure who is the more effective coach. Not sure what their end goal is.

Don't mean to get all "Friedrich Nietzsche" on you all, but being that we have all sorts of minds here on HB with different approaches on this young women's sport, I think it's a good topic to get the mental juices flowing.

Good morning by the way ;)
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:22 pm

A great coach is someone who is blue to do the following:

1) Getting a group to achieve a group goal.

2) Is able to get individuals to play to and beyond their talents.

3) Emphsizes and teaches the basics in a meaningful and repeatable fashion

4) Teaches the players not only the how of doing things

5) Teaches and practices good sportsmanship and tolerates nothing else

6) Communicates rules and expectations clearing and enforced both consistently and fairly

7) A great coach takes as much(if not more) in the future success of their players than the do of wins

8). A great coach is one you look back at when you are our age and realize the impact you had on life

I know I spoke in broad generalizations, but I think there are many different methods and techniques in reaching them
jonriv

by ryanm » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:53 pm

That is a difficult question to answer. An effective coach would be someone that helps you get to your goal. Whether that be winning every tournament, improving skills, learning the game, being "shown" to college recruiters, etc. That goal will also differ based on the players age as well.
I believe the most effective coaches prepare his/her players for life and not just the diamond.
ryanm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions