Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

QOD; Can you teach how to handle pressure?

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:31 pm

crankshaft wrote:There you go 14% washout in military.
And
From the video there is a washout rate of over 60% of military personnel who cannot succeed the trials to become a Navy SEAL. Additionally the washout rate of people who do not graduate high school and the washout rate of people who drop out of college are statistics that show us not everybody can handle pressure. JonRiv, you offer some intelligent feedback in your posts and I like reading them. However if your post is to try to say that everybody can be taught to handle pressure
I disagree.

Lol now I just thought about the divorce rate...
now there's a washout!!!

Perhaps you did no read what I wrote or I was not clear enough. There is a 14% washout, but that is do injury or medical. Not being able to "handle the pressure" and just quitting is in the 1-2% I used Basic training(as opposed to the elite training/schools) because Basic s designed to take Joe or Jane off the block and give them the basic skills(and attitude) to handle the pressures and stress of combat in 6-8 weeks. They have used the same basic blueprint(obviously with some changes) for around a century.

IMO each of us has a natural ability to handle stress and pressure. It is part of our DNA. Some people seem to have a more natural ability than others, but it is in there for everyone. Its just a matter of pulling it out.

Successful coaches and leaders are able to develop those abilities by building up their players. The keys to handling stress and pressure are a combination of preparation, confidence, discipline and community. Community in this instance is the team. Knowing that others will support them, fear of letting the team down and being there to lift up other team members. IMO focusing and mastering small skills and tasks(like "making your bed" in the video) and to continue to build on bigger and greater tasks builds that confidence and teamwork. You may disagree with me, but I think the military presents an excellent blueprint and example to follow-JMO
jonriv

by jonriv » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:40 pm

eddiez577 wrote:
crankshaft wrote:There you go 14% washout in military.
And
From the video there is a washout rate of over 60% of military personnel who cannot succeed the trials to become a Navy SEAL. Additionally the washout rate of people who do not graduate high school and the washout rate of people who drop out of college are statistics that show us not everybody can handle pressure. JonRiv, you offer some intelligent feedback in your posts and I like reading them. However if your post is to try to say that everybody can be taught to handle pressure
I disagree.

Lol now I just thought about the divorce rate...
now there's a washout!!!

OK but you as a coach (or hypothetically if you're not), how do you teach a 14 year old to throw a change-up for a win to the opposing team's #4 batter on a 3-2 count after fouling off 3 in a row with bases loaded, they're home, and you're up by 1 with time expired on the semi-final game with the #1 seeded team on the bleachers watching your every move like vultures after defeating 4 in a row like fodder at a qualifying tourney? Or conversely, you're team is the one with the #4 batter. How do you prepare your athletes for that situation?
The tendency will be to just throw a fastball, or conversely just swing at anything.
That's pressure. How do you teach that stoicism? lol

There is alway the unexpected, but what you train them to do is have confidence in themselves, their ability, in their teammate, and the coaches. This is ongoing. You should always be teaching(especially at younger ages) Work different situations. Have after action reviews after games- what worked, what did not, what can be approved-what would you do etc... Failures will happen-learning from failures can sometime be more valuable than winning For the situation you mention- do you review pitching strategy before and during games with the pitcher and catcher? Did you conference with pitcher and catcher before the batter came up (what pitch do you want to throw? why? any other ideas?) If you ara coach-then coach!
jonriv

by crankshaft » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Like the video and agree that people can be taught to handle pressure. However there is a percentage that cannot handle pressure. There is fight or flight mechanism in everybody. People react differently to the same situation.
Pressure affects in different forms, mentally,
medical health, physical strength. If you say someone medically cannot make the grade or cut of military service then their health may not be able to handle the pressure.
Stress tests are another way to calculate whether or not people can function under pressure.
Maybe it's a different thought process to what handling pressure is. I am thinking of it beyond mental toughness.
crankshaft

by jonriv » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Medical means they have some condition ie. Heart murmur, flat feet etc.....nothing to do with mental toughness
Usually injuries are recycled through another class.

The flight or fight instinct can be overcome with proper training and conditioning

I was in the military and saw some extraordinary things from ordinary people. Train people properly and they will shine. Give them the tools. Players that can’t handle pressure is not their weakness, but the weakness of their coach(es) and training.
jonriv

by eddiez577 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:40 pm

crankshaft wrote:Me? Already responded.
Whats your answer
QOD:eddiez?

Me? lol now I'm giving away my secrets :lol:
Honestly. Let them fight hard battles. Run situational practices. Play intramural scrimmages. Schedule practice games with tough teams, older teams, easy teams, same level skill teams, and mix it up without telling them what kind of game they're going to have, or who they will play, or tell them so they know what I expect.
And after the sweat, tears (maybe) and blood (hopefully not), they will realize that there is always another game to play. They will live in the moment and use past experiences as encouragements if they were able to succeed, or if they didn't succeed, hopefully they learned from that, that they are here playing another game, and this time they will not fail, or at least they will do the best they can to affect they game as far as how much influence they can project, weather it's throw a pitch mechanically, swing a bat with meaning when they see the ball, or remind their teammates that they are ready (Infield, outfield, etc.).
After all, it's only a game ;)
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:46 pm

There you go Eddiez,
Support & Structure!

Not to step on your toes JonRiv, Apparently you're staying one track minded because pressure can be defined in many ways.
If you're just going to keep reflecting on the military go for it! I applaud your service! The military is important and necessary.

I as well have many years in my expertise and know that while groups given the same training year after year there are people that do not make the cut.

There are inherent weaknesses and strengths in different personality.

For the sake of discussion of softball, No I do not think all athletes have what it takes to be a pitcher and handle the rigors of that. I also do not think everybody has the ability to be a catcher. And while you can train defensive skills, agility, speed and glove work, there are some athletes that are better suited for certain positions.
who should play where is decided upon not just by their athletic ability but the type of thinker they are. Pressure is different for the player who pitches or catches or plays corners or middle infield or outfield. Pressure is also different depending on the type of personality the person has playing the position.
The physical demands of the position and the mental rigors that go with it.
Just an opinion,
different viewpoint.
crankshaft

by jonriv » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:58 am

crankshaft wrote:There you go Eddiez,
Support & Structure!

Not to step on your toes JonRiv, Apparently you're staying one track minded because pressure can be defined in many ways.
If you're just going to keep reflecting on the military go for it! I applaud your service! The military is important and necessary.

I as well have many years in my expertise and know that while groups given the same training year after year there are people that do not make the cut.

There are inherent weaknesses and strengths in different personality.

For the sake of discussion of softball, No I do not think all athletes have what it takes to be a pitcher and handle the rigors of that. I also do not think everybody has the ability to be a catcher. And while you can train defensive skills, agility, speed and glove work, there are some athletes that are better suited for certain positions.
who should play where is decided upon not just by their athletic ability but the type of thinker they are. Pressure is different for the player who pitches or catches or plays corners or middle infield or outfield. Pressure is also different depending on the type of personality the person has playing the position.
The physical demands of the position and the mental rigors that go with it.
Just an opinion,
different viewpoint.

I think there can often be confusion between talent and the ability to handle pressure. Does a person fail in a certain situation because of the pressure-or is because they are facing someone of greater talent??

The question is "Can you teach how to handle pressure" and IMO you certainly can!
jonriv

by jonriv » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:06 am

Living in the New York area for most of my life and being an lifelong Yankee fan, I have had the pleasure to watch two of the most "clutch" players of all time; Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera. Two players that I think most would agree can "handle pressure" Obviously they are both talented, but there are many "talented" players that don't seem perform under pressure.

Firstly, I would say that these two players were not so much "clutch" as they were consistent. It is my belief that consistency is the key handling pressure. For example, Derek Jeter's post season stats are consistent with his regular
season. They played within themselves and never tried to do it all themselves.
jonriv

by crankshaft » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:40 pm

[/quote]jonriv wrote
I think there can often be confusion between talent and the ability to handle pressure. Does a person fail in a certain situation because of the pressure-or is because they are facing someone of greater talent??

The question is "Can you teach how to handle pressure" and IMO you certainly can![/quote]

Just so there's no confusion on the word pressure.

Dictionary Definition
Noun

1. The Continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something in contact with it.

2. The use of persuasion, influence or intimidation to make someone do something.
crankshaft

by Battle » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:48 pm

crankshaft wrote:
jonriv wrote

The question is "Can you teach how to handle pressure" and IMO you certainly can![/quote]

Just so there's no confusion on the word pressure.

Dictionary Definition
Noun

1. The Continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something in contact with it.

2. The use of persuasion, influence or intimidation to make someone do something.[/quote]

..... :? :?:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions