Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Its getting old!

What's on your mind?

by OutlawsSC » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:48 pm

My issue is the oppositions coaches!
I get it my girls are aggressive and if you are blocking the base they will still try to be safe. They will slide or in the case of the last game try and step over your catcher where she barely clipped her with her knee. Also if you are in the base path they will clip you but they try to not hurt you.

I know what these girls can do and if they wanted to role you up they would, but they dont.

These actions have had parents come onto the field and threaten me and even one case the kids. We have had to threaten to get police involved.

Also I believe that these coaches with no backbone to police there parents and the ones that start this crap, never played the game or maybe any game!

Tournaments, USA, Local tourny and USSSA....

Umps say its not there job to police the other teams parents even if they enter the field of play. My issue is for the kids safety.
OutlawsSC
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CoachMike » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:46 pm

My issue is the oppositions coaches!
I get it my girls are aggressive and if you are blocking the base they will still try to be safe. They will slide or in the case of the last game try and step over your catcher where she barely clipped her with her knee. Also if you are in the base path they will clip you but they try to not hurt you.

Aggressive is one thing but you cannot block the base anymore... at least not like we used to. I don't totally agree with the changes as I believe that can still cause collisions but with both players moving. The catcher (or any player covering a base) must allow a "path to the base." And please explain how "clipping" is ok... and if you are clipping, you are not trying to not hurt the other player. See "Manny Machado."

As far as the umps not policing the other team's parents... (or any team's parents) I guess that depends upon what his/her bosses have told him/her to do. I've always been taught and was in most rules that the umps are the authority on the field for anything. If parents are out of line and won't settle down, the ump simply goes to the team whose parents are causing the problem and says if it doesn't stop the game if forfeited.

I've known some well known travel coaches, (one passed away several years ago), that if the parents caused any problem whether griping about their daughter's playing time or position, or causing problems at a game, they would be kicked off their team. If the parents get a bad rep, they will find it harder to find a team for their daughter to play on. Sooner or later they will get the message.
You cannot make a positive impact with a negative mind!

Teach First
    Win Later

https://customlineupcards.com
CoachMike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRiders » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:37 pm

As far as your original statement, I agree that parents seem to be getting worse with their actions towards umpires, opposing coaches, and even within their own team. And I do think that the coaches and organizations have to set clear expectations of the parents and boundaries have to be set. But dude if your coaching “clipping” you better expect some form of retaliation. My 12yr old is a Catcher had her leg broke when a girl decided instead of sliding she would veer into my kid and “clipped” her on the knee. My daughter was slightly pulled into the base path due to a throw from our 2B that was too far up the line, but there was plenty of the plate exposed for the runner to slide in safely. I thought it was a coaching opportunity for both kids on ways that the whole thing could have been avoided but if we had been playing your team and myself or anyone on our team would have known that you had coached a runner to do that on purpose it would not have been pretty and there would have been retaliation. And anyone who has played the game knows you can play like “Machado” all you want just don’t be surprised when you get a fastball in the middle of the back your next at bat.
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions