Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Private Tryout Question

What's on your mind?

by crankshaft » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Battle wrote:Coach made the right decision. Good for him.

No Supporting reasoning with
your comment?
crankshaft

by ih8ddyball » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:32 pm

I personally don't see any issues with the coach's action. The coach probably has some clout, been around the game for a while, and knows what he's looking for.
Your friend's kid might be a good player but was probably not worth the potential headache. Your friend had every right to want to see the full team but shouldn't have gotten butt hurt with the coaches response.
If your going to tryout for a team, do your homework and know what you are getting into. If you request a private workout be ready to make a decision if given the opportunity.
Too many time I see parents take their kids from team to team and bad mouth coaches. At the end of the day do what is best for your daughter but it looks like the coach did the right thing for his team. I may sound like a douche but I’m just tired of parents complaining when things don’t go their way.
ih8ddyball

by newbie101 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 am

A try out in a Team setting is Ideal, But if there is no team practice scheduled you have to do what you have to do. If he or she says our next practice is in 2 weeks, there is a good chance that player goes to another try out.
There are so many teams now that are all running with 10 to 12 players, that it is like pulling teeth to get players. Just look at the teams looking for players on this site, & It is not just the Micro Teams looking & it is page after page of it.
Even the teams that are still drinking the Cool Aid & buying into a BS big name Org. are having issues getting players.
So why ding a coach for doing what he or she needs to do.
Last edited by newbie101 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
newbie101
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:57 am

Haaaaaa :lol:
Noooo friends family did not get butt hurt.
I put the question on heybucket to see what others might have to say.
This family took the route of doing a lot of research and applied the same research to all the coaches and tryouts they went to. They ended up turning down several offers. Including this one.
Out of the assortment of tryout opportunities they spoke to a few over the phone they didn't care to go to their tryout. Coaches sounded like a pompous ass or had no plan. There were coaches that understood when the family said, we are going to several tryouts and that's our plan, They spoke clearly and transparently to each coach.
Other coaches were fine to wait for an answer and simply said we need to know by Sunday at 6 p.m. Knowing the opportunity to go to tryouts and check things out is important and said they understood.

Still waiting for any good reason to pick a team without seeing what it looks like! Ohhhh besides its your friends team and they offered you a spot :lol: which still think you should check it out first.
Last edited by crankshaft on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
crankshaft

by crankshaft » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:33 am

ih8ddyball wrote:I personally don't see any issues with the coach's action. The coach probably has some clout, been around the game for a while, and knows what he's looking for.
Your friend's kid might be a good player but was probably not worth the potential headache. Your friend had every right to want to see the full team but shouldn't have gotten butt hurt with the coaches response.
If your going to tryout for a team, do your homework and know what you are getting into. If you request a private workout be ready to make a decision if given the opportunity.
Too many time I see parents take their kids from team to team and bad mouth coaches. At the end of the day do what is best for your daughter but it looks like the coach did the right thing for his team. I may sound like a douche but I’m just tired of parents complaining when things don’t go their way.

You feeling a bit jaded. :)
Wow a headache from offering a spot and letting the family see the team. I get it, there are some coaches that only want people to be followers on their roster.

I disagree about going to every tryouts being ready to accept an offer. Go to tryouts to find the right fit. If you're only going to one try out and accepting the first offer you may have missed multiple other better opportunities.

Also dont think the team belongs to the coach.The team is going to be your team. If you choose to be on it. It's going to be our team if we choose to be on it. Both parties should be taking a good look at each other and be given the opportunity to do so.

Bad mouthing comes from
coaches and families! Maybe if you've been coaching you're only seeing it from one side?

All the coaching clout in the world cannot pick up a player who doesn't want to play for them!
IMO clout is being a good player!
crankshaft

by Battle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:14 am

crankshaft wrote:

your comment?

The coach has a plan and this kid and kind of parents was not in it. That's reasoning enough. Both need to move on. It's not rocket surgery of the brain science.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by crankshaft » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 am

Battle wrote:
crankshaft wrote:

your comment?

The coach has a plan and this kid and kind of parents was not in it. That's reasoning enough. Both need to move on. It's not rocket surgery of the brain science.

Darn thought you might
have had good reason to
make a commitment to
a team without seeing it.

True, both had a plan
that didnt match!
crankshaft

by Battle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:26 am

crankshaft wrote:
Battle wrote:
crankshaft wrote:

your comment?

Darn thought you might
have had good reason to
make a commitment to
a team without seeing it.

True, both had a plan
that didnt match!

Well poop....Did the coach have a plan or not? You stated, " Coaches sounded like a pompous ass or had no plan." Now they have a plan and are just a pompous ass? Now their is more than one coach (coaches)? Sounds to me you are leading with the question and no "coaches" around to defend their decision because the question that really stands out to me is "Why does a coach let a great player go?"
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by crankshaft » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:15 am

Through having conversations over the phone, they found some coaches sounded like a pompous ass and some had no plan so they didn't even go to those people's tryout.

Not leading anybody to think one way or another.
The family did their research and that was the results.

Asking any body and that includes anybody this-
Who would make a commitment to a team without seeing it first?. Pretty freaking simple question.

On the contrary it sounds like you're a bit miffed that players looking for a team had a plan of their own. LOL no coaches around to defend. HA how many coach dads are on this website.... think the 10 people who routinely post coach and have been through the tryouts experience.. Its not a defensive or not position to take, it's a question.
crankshaft

by Battle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:31 am

crankshaft wrote:Through having conversations over the phone, they found some coaches sounded like a pompous ass and some had no plan so they didn't even go to those people's tryout.

Not leading anybody to think one way or another.
The family did their research and that was the results.

Asking any body and that includes anybody this-
Who would make a commitment to a team without seeing it first?. Pretty freaking simple question.

On the contrary it sounds like you're a bit miffed that players looking for a team had a plan of their own. LOL no coaches around to defend. HA how many coach dads are on this website.... think the 10 people who routinely post coach and have been through the tryouts experience.. Its not a defensive or not position to take, it's a question.

Well double poop...How many teams and coaches did this because your initial example was just one? I was referring to that particular coach not being here to defend his decision. I thought my stand out question was pretty simple too...

Indubitably Miffed
Battle
Battle

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions