Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

League Poaching

What's on your mind?

by Eighty8Forty4 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Are there penalties for leagues poaching players away from other leagues? I know in Little League players cannot transfer between designated areas but softball seems to be the Wild Wild West and players jump between leagues regularly.
Eighty8Forty4

by Eighty8Forty4 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm

We are in Southern California. We have seen multiple players leave because they were promised positions on all star teams prior to seasons even starting.
I wont name the specific area to avoid drama but I was just wondering if this is just the norm and accepted or if theyre actual bylaws to prohibit.
Eighty8Forty4

by Smokie364 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Every league is bound by ASA on who can play All-Stars. Its 50% of the regular season games or more. If they follow the rules they can play where they want, they can play in two or more leagues (and declare their intent which Allstars they choose to play in) or they can play travel and rec up to the cut-off. Doesn't matter what is promised or what is not - they have to follow the rules, if they do follow the rules, consider it free will and no reason to complain.
Smokie364
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Don't know about bylaws poaching and Rec.
Do know the sooner you focus on your daughter and not concern yourself with what others are doing, you'll be much better off!
Travel ball people are going to be jumping around like fleas from dog to dog, oh team to team.

Stay out of the drama!
crankshaft

by NumeroUno » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:43 pm

crankshaft wrote:Don't know about bylaws poaching and Rec.
Do know the sooner you focus on your daughter and not concern yourself with what others are doing, you'll be much better off!
Travel ball people are going to be jumping around like fleas from dog to dog, oh team to team.

Stay out of the drama!

He’s just asking a questing. Nothing wrong with that. I’m not a big fan of team jumping myself or poachers :D
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by jonriv » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:47 pm

84 perhaps you want to give some examples of what you have seen
jonriv

by Eighty8Forty4 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:58 am

jonriv wrote:84 perhaps you want to give some examples of what you have seen

Example:
An All Star coach from one league approaching players from our league and offering them any spot on their team if they will leave and move over. I personally watched the same local league pull 4 players from one All Star team to another league to play on their All Star team. The leagues had not even started yet and the teams were set. There would be no opportunity for players in their own league who have developed to earn a spot. Thats not right. Travel ball is travel ball. Its the wild wild west. Im already hearing the stories of girls moving and switching teams with no loyalty. I expect that there. Not in a rec league.

2nd Example:
As soon as another league got wind of players being poached a 2nd league came in to play the same card. In the end our league lost 9 out of 11 Gold Level All Stars.

If this is allowed then there needs to be a rule change. There should be some sort of district lines drawn like Little League. Those lines can be redrawn and adjusted as needed over time.
Eighty8Forty4

by eddiez577 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:28 am

Eighty8Forty4 wrote:
jonriv wrote:84 perhaps you want to give some examples of what you have seen

Example:
An All Star coach from one league approaching players from our league and offering them any spot on their team if they will leave and move over. I personally watched the same local league pull 4 players from one All Star team to another league to play on their All Star team. The leagues had not even started yet and the teams were set. There would be no opportunity for players in their own league who have developed to earn a spot. Thats not right. Travel ball is travel ball. Its the wild wild west. Im already hearing the stories of girls moving and switching teams with no loyalty. I expect that there. Not in a rec league.

2nd Example:
As soon as another league got wind of players being poached a 2nd league came in to play the same card. In the end our league lost 9 out of 11 Gold Level All Stars.

If this is allowed then there needs to be a rule change. There should be some sort of district lines drawn like Little League. Those lines can be redrawn and adjusted as needed over time.

Are you talking about ASA Rec League? Yeah that happens in my area also. But why does that coach feel like he can come to your league and take players? And why do those players agree and leave? This is why parents and league board members need to work on improving and maintaining your league. Volunteer and practice a lot with the team. Develop pitchers and hitters. Sign up for the board and make improvements for the fields and snack bars. Scout for good umpires. Like Ghandi said"Be the change that you want to see in the world". Maybe other Gold-level players will take notice and come to your league next season, without having a volunteer coach go out and recruit.

I personally don't like Little League rec softball and their boundary rules. It unfortunately reflects the area's socioeconomic status. At All Stars, the leagues in the more affluent towns almost always go further in the tournament.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 am

Coach is poaching players and planting the seed of "going to Nationals." KInda a new thing. No rules against doing it. Who would have thought that 10u rec ball leagues would have to compete for players. The leagues with the best players (pitchers), best coaches and best fields will draw the attention (or be convinced by poacher coach) of the parents who want the best for their daughter. Think of it as preparation for travel ball.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:54 am

What governing bodies? Little league, babe ruth?
jonriv

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions