Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

League Poaching

What's on your mind?

by CPEM » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Yes, it's been going on for a quite a while, and only getting worse. I was a league admin back when Select teams were introduced by ASA/USA to the SoCal area and the 3 or 4 leagues known for poaching were immediately asking how quickly a player from another league could start playing on their Select team. They were told that the player needed to have been playing in their league the previous Spring in order to qualify for their Select team. But who is going to check and make sure that all of these leagues are following that rule. I doubt it is enforced. If what OP is saying is accurate, then I can see that rule just got tossed aside.
CPEM

by Schmick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:33 am

After 8U All Stars, why would anyone waste their time with park and rec?
Park and rec is a threat I have used to motivate my kid since she was 10.... "keep half assing it and you'll go back to park and rec!," "do you want to play softball or do you want play dates with butterfly chasers in park and rec?"
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Schmick wrote:After 8U All Stars, why would anyone waste their time with park and rec?
Park and rec is a threat I have used to motivate my kid since she was 10.... "keep half assing it and you'll go back to park and rec!," "do you want to play softball or do you want play dates with butterfly chasers in park and rec?"

Not sure where you are from, but Socal rec leagues can be as competitive as travel in 10u. Especially select/all-stars and some fall leagues. Too many girls head out to travel early and end up quitting the sport much sooner than they would have. Now I know there are some parts of the country where you have to graduate to travel early due to lack of teams with even a little skill so that makes sense.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:26 pm

I’m sorry, but no matter where you are from, getting your panties in a wad over rec “pouching” is not worth the aggravation. Save it for real things like playing time, bad umpires and nasty coaches
jonriv

by eddiez577 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:42 am

eclipse09 wrote:
Schmick wrote:After 8U All Stars, why would anyone waste their time with park and rec?

Not sure where you are from, but Socal rec leagues can be as competitive as travel in 10u. Especially select/all-stars and some fall leagues. Too many girls head out to travel early and end up quitting the sport much sooner than they would have. Now I know there are some parts of the country where you have to graduate to travel early due to lack of teams with even a little skill so that makes sense.

Ah SoCal 8-) 300 days of sun, 60 days of marginal cloudy weather, and 5 rainy days all in the same week. Softball season never ends :lol:
It's true, Wreck is the mother's milk for travel softball. Don't bite the hand that feeds, literally. I coach both. Gives the rec girls something to work towards to. Gives the travel girls more reps and time to work on bunts, breaking pitches, new positions, etc.
Poaching rec players gives you a sample of what goes on in travel :x :lol:
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:30 pm

eddiez577 wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:

Ah SoCal 8-) 300 days of sun, 60 days of marginal cloudy weather, and 5 rainy days all in the same week. Softball season never ends :lol:
It's true, Wreck is the mother's milk for travel softball. Don't bite the hand that feeds, literally. I coach both. Gives the rec girls something to work towards to. Gives the travel girls more reps and time to work on bunts, breaking pitches, new positions, etc.
Poaching rec players gives you a sample of what goes on in travel :x :lol:

Agree!!
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 pm

jonriv wrote:I’m sorry, but no matter where you are from, getting your panties in a wad over rec “pouching” is not worth the aggravation. Save it for real things like playing time, bad umpires and nasty coaches

Biggest way to avoid losing players is help our your local league from coaching to running clinics to assisting on the board. Strong leadership that keeps players best interests in mind is the way to go. Of course leagues will lose players with weak leadership and indifferent parents/players.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions