Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Catchers back pic's. Throw! or no?

What's on your mind?

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:37 am

Throw! :P
Stay on the attack!

Catcher playing catch with the infield. One throw at a time. Runners plucked from the bases.
More than just an out, relieves pressure and controls the game!

Have noticed some coaches do not utilize this strategy allowing baserunners to take giant lead offs.
While there may be a hesitancy to trust this strategy...Could debate whether or not to trust the pitcher or fear a batter more?
Could debate defense having to field a hit ball and make a throw?
Compared to catcher making one throw and a tag.

IMO think catchers back pic's should be part of the game! Have confidence in the defense to play catch and make a tag!

What's your strategy?
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:25 am

You must teach and have confidence in your catcher to be aggressive. Keep the base runners honest. I can’t stand when there is a runner on 1st and 3rd and they give second alway. Rec ball
Ok I get it but when I see it at college level
I scratch my head.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Gladiator1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Depending? With a runner on 1st and 3rd 1 out..If your up by a big margins of runs I would not mind throwing the ball to second hopefully getting the out at second and giving up the run at 3rd base.. if it’s a close game and game is tied last inn less than 1 out why would we throw to second base and allow runner at third to score and take the lead. I’m hoping our pitcher can get out of it and our D can turn a double or hopefully keep the ball in the infield and check the runner at third and get out of it???
Gladiator1
Premium Member
Premium Member

by D-1 Dad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Gladiator1 wrote:Depending? With a runner on 1st and 3rd 1 out..If your up by a big margins of runs I would not mind throwing the ball to second hopefully getting the out at second and giving up the run at 3rd base.. if it’s a close game and game is tied last inn less than 1 out why would we throw to second base and allow runner at third to score and take the lead. I’m hoping our pitcher can get out of it and our D can turn a double or hopefully keep the ball in the infield and check the runner at third and get out of it???

This is exactly what happened in the semi final game last weekend. Up 4-0 in 4th inning. Other team has runners on the corners. We decided to go for the out at second on the next pitch and not just let her take it. Runner scores from 3rd,but the runner is thrown out a second for the second out and the rally is killed. Went on to win and the other team never scored another run.
D-1 Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:47 am

Ahhh 1st & 3rd,
More options to
throw runners out!

Nice story on taking the opportunity
to get an out!

Brings up a good coaching point!
Utilize strategy knowing when the lead runner is priority or as mentioned previously big score gap just getting the out.

Throwing to Second with first and third is not a given the runner from third will score. Have to prioritize which runner you want more.
Some throw hoping the runner will go !!! ZAP !!!

Throwing is faster than running!
ZAP ZAP !!! :P
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:43 pm

Thats a 2B read most of the time but I have my catcher throw down every time 1st & 3rd comes up because I absolutely hate to give away 2nd base for free..... My catch has one job make a solid throw down to SS covering the bag my 2B has the hard part either cut it if she see's 3rd is gonna rabbit (or if its a bad throw) or let it go through if she's got the runner dead to rights....In either case it takes a lot of practice to get it right!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:15 am

Im a big fan of pick plays. Used to run a 1B pick with F4 covering 1B in bunting situations....pulled F3 way in and pitched out to RH hitters.

Back pick with runners on 1B and 2B....half the time R2 was taken by surprise and stayed put. 3B coach would lambast
R2 for not moving over to 3B. We would run another on a pitchout with the catcher throwing to F3, who has been pulled way in and towards F1.....easy throw to 3B to get R2.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:33 am

Here's another

No-one on base.
Batter hits to outfield.
Catcher sprinting follow
to first base.
As SS & F4 are covering second base and retrieving throw,
first base pulls off the bag
( Runner & Coach see firstbase player away from bag)
catcher takes back pic position at 1st behind the batter/runner rounding first.
Turn & burn with throw!
Runner go sit down!

Definitely a much more rare play to see. Can remember two exceptional moments that happened. Once when I was playing on the original Joe Grubbs O.C. Batbusters team against Phil Bruders defending national champions Raiders. Plucked the runner off at first. ZAP!!!
Another phenomenal time it happened was while I was playing for Long Beach State, playing against defending national champions Cal State Fullerton another plucked runner at first. ZAP !!!

:D Catcher at firstbase making a tag!

Your Stories?
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:38 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:Right on Curve,
"Practice to get it right!"

Like the razzle dazzle Sam.

Here's another

No-one on base.
Batter hits to outfield.
Catcher sprinting follow
to first base.
As SS & F4 are covering second base and retrieving throw,
first base pulls off the bag
( Runner & Coach see firstbase player away from bag)
catcher takes back pic position at 1st behind the batter/runner rounding first.
Turn & burn with throw!
Runner go sit down!

Definitely a much more rare play to see. Can remember two exceptional moments that happened. Once when I was playing on the original Joe Grubbs O.C. Batbusters team against Phil Bruders defending national champions Raiders. Plucked the runner off at first. ZAP!!!
Another phenomenal time it happened was while I was playing for Long Beach State, playing against defending national champions Cal State Fullerton another plucked runner at first. ZAP !!!

:D Catcher at firstbase making a tag!

Your Stories?

I'll bet Phil took that well.....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Sam wrote:Im a big fan of pick plays. Used to run a 1B pick with F4 covering 1B in bunting situations....pulled F3 way in and pitched out to RH hitters.

Back pick with runners on 1B and 2B....half the time R2 was taken by surprise and stayed put. 3B coach would lambast
R2 for not moving over to 3B. We would run another on a pitchout with the catcher throwing to F3, who has been pulled way in and towards F1.....easy throw to 3B to get R2.

You are so right Sam- I can't count how many times a shocked runner on third went nowhere!
jonriv

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions