Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

QOD; Do you allow your athlete to play other sports?

What's on your mind?

by eclipse09 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:
Schmick wrote:So glad none of my kids wanted to play soccer, I'd rather scratch my eyeballs out with ground up, infected, used douchebags than sit through 2 minutes of soccer

You lucked out. It was not fun, but they liked it for a little bit so I went along for the not so fun ride.... :lol:

Try being a swimming parent ... Friday night, your kid swims 3 races each being a minute long ... One at 6, one at 8 and one at 10 ... If you leave your cooler in the truck you can barely stumble back in by the 10 pm race, if your lucky.

Ugh. Had one parent's kid quit softball for a few years to do swim. He was very happy she came back to softball.....
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm

eclipse09 wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:
Schmick wrote:So glad none of my kids wanted to play soccer, I'd rather scratch my eyeballs out with ground up, infected, used douchebags than sit through 2 minutes of soccer

You lucked out. It was not fun, but they liked it for a little bit so I went along for the not so fun ride.... :lol:

Try being a swimming parent ... Friday night, your kid swims 3 races each being a minute long ... One at 6, one at 8 and one at 10 ... If you leave your cooler in the truck you can barely stumble back in by the 10 pm race, if your lucky.

Ugh. Had one parent's kid quit softball for a few years to do swim. He was very happy she came back to softball.....

The 2 hardest parts:
1.) It takes you one or two meets to figure out you can go sit in the truck for the next 2 hours
2.) It only takes you one meet to realize when they ask "Can you be a timer?" to feign "No hablo ingles, aha ya se', no tienes dinero, quento questan los boletos?" and then run like hell.

The best part is that they get in awesome shape.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Schmick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:

That sounds an infinite amount of more excitement than watching a bunch of wannabe cross country runners jog a round a meadow completely avoiding contact with each other but if another colored shirt should happen to flash through their peripheral and pierce their safety bubble they dive to the ground like they were Greg Looseanus, clutching an extremity and wincing in faux agony as if they were shot. Then a trainer runs on to the field carrying a towel wrapped can of magic fairy dust that he sprays on the thespian lying on the ground, feigning excruciating pain while pleading with the ref to pull out a pastel colored card to shame the opposing player for coming within 18 inches of the player getting their hyman doused in fairy dust. Once the opposing player is shamed or the fairy dust has done it's job, the player who was just acting like they had been shot, hops to their feet, fixes their hair and proceeds to jog around the meadow until it happens again.

Give me anything other than soccer....or basketball.... and I'd be happier
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:22 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:

The 2 hardest parts:
1.) It takes you one or two meets to figure out you can go sit in the truck for the next 2 hours
2.) It only takes you one meet to realize when they ask "Can you be a timer?" to feign "No hablo ingles, aha ya se', no tienes dinero, quento questan los boletos?" and then run like hell.

The best part is that they get in awesome shape.

Thankfully I wasn't drinking a soda when I read that..... :lol: :lol:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:18 am

So DD's are long out of school ... It was always their choice and not mine what they did or didn't play. Pretty much it was softball first then swimming and volleyball after that ... They did all play in the powder puff football games once a year ... Aside from that, the only thing they knew about football was to bring me a beer while I'm watching it and at halftime we will go in the backyard and toss it around ... Done. But since then, one DD has played some co-ed indoor rec flag as an adult.

Fast forward to this past November ... One DD calls me and says a gal she knows from her gym said she should join her football team "it's a good work out" ... DD looking to stay in shape over the winter figures "WTF, why not?" Turned out it was a 'semi-pro' women's football team and to fund raise money she recruits 2 other of the DD's ... Now all 3 tell me they are playing tackle football - full pads ... My first thought which I told them was "you're gonna get killed" ... But, they're adults, so ... Their 8 game season starts in April, a few scrimmages this month ... Through out the North East ... The first thing their friends were asking them is "are you in the lingerie league?" ... Like me, they did not even know women's tackle football was a thing ... So, yes, I guess I 'let' my athletes play other sports.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by jonriv » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:39 am

Early on my daughter also competed in inter-club swimming and was also in ballet. There was also a stint on Freshmen Basketball where she displayed a Charles Oakley like attitude towards opposing players. I really felt the swimming and ballet helped to build her core strength that really helped to make her a power hitter. (despite her 5' 5" and smaller stature).

I was really glad she stopped the basketball, three of her friends suffered acl damage from playing

In her post playing days she has become a rabid gym rat. No longer doing as much of the heavy lifting that she did in college, but a like on the bike and pilades. I think she is even stronger and in better shape than she was in her playing days.
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:24 am

jonriv wrote:Early on my daughter also competed in inter-club swimming and was also in ballet. There was also a stint on Freshmen Basketball where she displayed a Charles Oakley like attitude towards opposing players. I really felt the swimming and ballet helped to build her core strength that really helped to make her a power hitter. (despite her 5' 5" and smaller stature).

I was really glad she stopped the basketball, three of her friends suffered acl damage from playing

In her post playing days she has become a rabid gym rat. No longer doing as much of the heavy lifting that she did in college, but a like on the bike and pilades. I think she is even stronger and in better shape than she was in her playing days.

Just north of you in Maine ... DD's (in addition to the football thing) play indoors and out slow pitch rec ... Mostly coed but some women's ... And women's fast pitch ... But, like you, I think they are in better shape now than they were in their younger days ... Softball (in general) athletes are not always the most physically fit.
GIMNEPIWO

by jonriv » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:35 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
jonriv wrote:Early on my daughter also competed in inter-club swimming and was also in ballet. There was also a stint on Freshmen Basketball where she displayed a Charles Oakley like attitude towards opposing players. I really felt the swimming and ballet helped to build her core strength that really helped to make her a power hitter. (despite her 5' 5" and smaller stature).

Just north of you in Maine ... DD's (in addition to the football thing) play indoors and out slow pitch rec ... Mostly coed but some women's ... And women's fast pitch ... But, like you, I think they are in better shape now than they were in their younger days ... Softball (in general) athletes are not always the most physically fit.

She was in great shape when she played-just better now.

She has also become a hard corps skier(something she did not do while playing in college) She is a cross-fit lunatic
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:41 am

jonriv wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

She was in great shape when she played-just better now.

She has also become a hard corps skier(something she did not do while playing in college) She is a cross-fit lunatic

Yeah, I've got one fitness lunatic gym rat now too ... Also, really serious about her diet ... Some sort of variation of a gluten free high protein thing ... She was in shape then but is a rock now ... The other 2 were not in shape back then, and just in better shape now ... Much of that due to the football practices and conditioning ... They all say they never had consistent workouts like that handed out by a softball coach. I considered myself pretty tough on my teams ... BUT, I always felt I shouldn't push some as far as they could go because there were those who couldn't have handled it safely.

4 of the 5 are skiers, snowboarders ... Insane workout if it's done right .... LOL
GIMNEPIWO

by bmakj » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:15 pm

DD swims as well as play softball, in fact she prefers swim. I understand about the 4 hour meets for your kid to be in the water 2 minutes. this coming WE we are driving 2.5 hours for her to swim 3 events, total time will be well under 2 minutes (50s). the things we do! but it is great for strength and conditioning, and also keeps them very flexible (I always thought backstroke was great strength training for pitchers). Also, low risk of injury compared to say soccer or basketball (only real potential is overuse, doing different strokes will help with that).
bmakj

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions