Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Speed over spin?!?!?

What's on your mind?

by E Train Dad » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Jarrod Weaver defied all the odds with his spin vs. Speed!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:41 pm

Well much like Hillhouse I tell my girls the fastball is the "F" word...Why on earth would you throw a pitch that does not move intentionally....... Moreover, spin effects movement but the two are not always the same thing. Let me explain many pitchers force a pitch to move by how they throw (i.e. stepping across or stepping open, leaning etc.). Very few know how to actually spin the ball in the direction they want it to break. Now, I can spin a ball hard and tight with little velocity or I can spin a ball hard and tight with lots of velocity. So tight spin doesn't always equal velocity and movement doesn't always equal spin Believe me when I tell you during BP I will sometimes throw the same pitch two ways with velocity and then offspeed with hard tight spin and the response I get is always the same "what was that pitch"!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:09 pm

curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:05 am

curveballerguy124 wrote:https://youtu.be/LmiVfY--SXk

All spin no speed

Nice!

Most pitchers have the wrong spin -- bullet spin. The ball won't move much, if at all.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by notthisagain » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:47 am

This post where you pick spin over speed. But you are a pitcher who does not teach or throw screwballs or curves. Is there any good reason you dont when you can? When it's so common to see those pitches mixed in to setup batters.
notthisagain

by augielerma » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:25 am

i have 2 daughters who pitch, 1 has speed the other (older by 1 year has spin and location but throws slower, Iv seen them both be successful, IMO spin works best with a good defense behind the pitcher, if the defense is not there it will look like the pitcher is just giving up hits, with speed the battle is at the plate between pitcher and hitter, ball speed vs bat speed. and i always tell my daughters pitches pitch BUT HITTERS HIT, so its getting them to hit where you want them to hit it and you can only achieve that by hitting your spots, weather it be FAST OR SLOW just hit your spots.
augielerma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions