Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pick-A-Pitcher Junk or Heat

What's on your mind?

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:22 am

What do you prefer in the circle?
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eddiez577 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:52 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:What do you prefer in the circle?
Share Why? What Age?

Junk pitcher-
Lots of movement
Less speed

Heat pitcher-
Lots of speed
Less movement

I really like this pitching instructor named Bill Owens. Caught for several of his pitchers on teams and caught for many others as students he was teaching.

He always taught his pitchers to throw at their top speed all of their pitches. And also taught all his pitchers to throw their pitches at half speed he called it a
"half a buck".
Of course he also taught
change ups. Atleast two
different Change-up grips
and mechanics.
Hi Bill....

It was the best of both worlds with any of his pitchers on the mound! We were able to mix up speed, locations and movement with any batter.

Also had the great opportunity to go catch for other outstanding pitchers at their pitching lessons with instructors like
Ron LeFevre, Don Sarno and a couple others I can't remember right now. All of the pitching instructors intensely taught
body mechanics, grips, and how to put spin on the ball.
All pitches require spin!
Except when not wanting spin like a knuckleball.

Thinking back....all pitching instructors I have been to and continually watch and follow are hoping to gain as much speed and velocity on pitches as they are hoping to gain movement of those pitches.

Whats come of those pitching lessons?
Are pitchers who develope both
movement and speed.
Seems some pitchers simply shine more
in one catagory or the other even with the same teaching mechanics.

Perhaps the equalizer is control!!

Ps. Great framing cleans up any pitcher!

Enjoy

You need both on your roster. Depending on the opposing team, I will set my starting and relieving pitchers accordingly. Facing a "batting cage" team who hit very well, start the junk pitcher until they get her timing. Facing a poor hitting team or a team who plays small ball, start the power pitcher. Poor hitting team may not need a reliever. Small ball team, switch out corners often since the will get tired in long games. Usually I have pitchers play other spots as well, so they might have to jump in the corner positions.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:06 am

When my Daughter was playing (as a hitter) she would KILL the heat pitcher and the junk pitcher would give her fits(this continued thru college) I knew many players that were the complete opposite. In travel and HS the weaker hitters generally did better with the Junk pitchers
jonriv

by Battle » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:12 am

Killer speed with north and south movement pitches and a good change up.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by eddiez577 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:59 am

Parent of a lefty Junk baller here. 16u. She's learned to embrace it. Teams we've faced already know her. They know what's coming, and they still struggle :lol:
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:19 am

Both can be effective.
Location and control best factor!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dad of lefty » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:22 am

Movement it's all about movement.
JMO Ofcourse.
Dad of lefty

by as the world turns » Tue May 21, 2019 12:41 am

DII, DIII, NAIA = Junk
DI = Heat w/ movement
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by cazzy » Tue May 21, 2019 9:41 am

BOTH lol
"Nothing will work unless you do." John Wooden
cazzy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Well well well that is a good question but I will always go with a junk pitcher. But let me clarify I think an effective junk pitcher throws between 57- 63 (college level) with tight spin. Moreover an effective junk pitcher lives north and south at the plate with proper spin. Honestly speaking as you start to get into faster pitches 65, 68, 70 even with tight spin you lose sharp movement so it’s required that you locate better with faster pitches because the ball doesn’t break as hard. Not to mention as a flamethrower starts getting tired most lose their velocity where as a junk baller can stay comfortable in those speed ranges for longer periods of time.

There are benefits to both kinds of pitchers if you have a flamethrower you can miss out of the zone and still get people to chase. Same thing with a junk baller she could miss her spot completely but because the ball is moving so much it will still cause a miss-hit. With a flamethrower you’ll get more strikeouts but you also get more walks, with an effective junk baller you get fewer walks but you’ll also get fewer strikeouts....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions