Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Putting in the individual training time.

What's on your mind?

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:26 am

Putting in the individual training time.
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:01 am

I agree that catching is usually the most over looked position at a practice ... A couple years ago (HS) I implemented a new practice that my 'pitching' coach would be the 'battery' coach and responsible for the catcher as well ... This has helped quite a bit.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 am

ZAP
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Don't all the catchers work out with Jen Schro? Every team my dd has been on, all the catchers are "Schro-ettes", the only time they werent Jen decipals they were Campbell Catchers.
Probably why all the catchers know each other, they all go to one of the 2 coaches that coach the position, in So Cal, every week
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Teaching 32 years.
Long beach and So cal.

Enjoy
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:42 am

Schmick wrote:Don't all the catchers work out with Jen Schro? Every team my dd has been on, all the catchers are "Schro-ettes", the only time they werent Jen decipals they were Campbell Catchers.
Probably why all the catchers know each other, they all go to one of the 2 coaches that coach the position, in So Cal, every week

Nope ... On the East Coast most would not even know who she is ... In addition, it is very rare to have athletes going to anything but a pitching coach ... If there is a clinic held, they may attend that.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:46 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I agree that catching is usually the most over looked position at a practice ... A couple years ago (HS) I implemented a new practice that my 'pitching' coach would be the 'battery' coach and responsible for the catcher as well ... This has helped quite a bit.

Thats Excellent!
Thanks for posting that.

My post is suggesting that
postion players should also
work on part of their technical
mechanics on their own.
It helps tremendously!

Try this
First base responsible for back pics. How about working on getting back to the bag staying low, athletic position, simulating receiving a throw, & placing a tag. This is a Crucial Technical mechanic that at times can make or break getting an out.
20 minutes couple times a week.
Dial it in!

How about outfielders repeating the Good Ol backpedal Sprint angle maneuver catch the ball and throw work on your footwork staying low simulate transition and bursting forward into throw.

Good'ol middle infielders working getting to second base to transition a double play. Footwork again crucial, speed getting to the bag imperative.

Count how many grounders an athlete gets at a Fielding workout turning a double play transition. Uhh 25 ish?. If you multiply
training that maneuver on your own and simulating it over and over again you will get intense repetition. Like when lifting weights... if you lift 25 lb easily once.
Repeat lifting 25 lb the number of times you lift it increases the workout intensity. Even works with Speed and Agility!
Develope softball mechanics, quickness with explosive strength, stay in an athletic position!

Think this is an area where coaches are commenting that athletes are missing skill sets. It's quite possible the skill-sets are being talked about at their practices. But there is not enough repetition or corrective quality time to make it clean and develop it.

Good things to work on!

All good goals ... But the problem is that without constant supervision many athletes will get lazy ... Instead of developing proper mechanics by doing something correctly 1000 times they develop bad habits after doing something incorrectly once. That is my experience any way.
GIMNEPIWO

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:38 am

Absolutely train correctly.
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by flyingfish2u » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:09 am

Schmick wrote:Don't all the catchers work out with Jen Schro? Every team my dd has been on, all the catchers are "Schro-ettes", the only time they werent Jen decipals they were Campbell Catchers.

LOL...that's funny. I think every catcher has been to at least one of her clinics or at least they follow her on Instagram. It's crazy how much she charges for 3 day clinic in the summer and it sells out in seconds!
flyingfish2u
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Desmo13 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:44 pm

To first post, as a father of the catcher, nothing I hate more than coaches who have catchers do bullpen, then all of a sudden send them to do throw downs. No warm up. Especially in games. Also, throws to home without their gear on. Not letting them practice good technique on smothering, blocking bad throws.

Regarding training, up here in my part of nor-cal, most catchers we know have catching coaches. And a lot of infielders have coaches.
Yes, never been to her clinics, but started my DD catching training with Jen Schro videos.
Desmo13
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions