Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Risky or helpful intentionally walking a batter?

What's on your mind?

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:52 am

Original post
Risky or Helpful
intentionally walking a batter?
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:50 am, edited 31 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Nothing wrong with intentional walk from time to time especially in that situation under those circumstances, me personally I'm not a big fan of it. The thing is, if she was gonna pitch to her I would have had her throw balls out of the zone and try and bait her if she walked then o'well. The other reason its not an ideal thing to do is because just as easily bases could be loaded and you could walk in a run by trying to pitch too perfect....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:31 pm

I see no reason to give a free base if it doesn't have a little sting attached so I would prefer to hit the batter rather then intentionally walk them.
I only ever coached travel baseball but I see no reason to treat or coach girls any differently than I would boys. Ballplayers is the ideal outcome so coach them as such.
Also, there were pitch counts with the baseball.
Work the batter in and out but nothing even in the river. First two pitches away and then throw something tight, if they get hit, you were trying to walk them anyway.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:46 am

There are lots of coaches out there that can't coach during games. Great recruiters that have no clue beyond filling out a lineup with exceptional athletes.

The situation you describe is a no-brainer. You walk the kid and set up force plays....depend on your pitcher to throw strikes and your infield to do their jobs.

I can think of coaching against guys who have won CIF that play their infields up with runners on 2nd and 3rd while they are up by six runs. Stupid. They get away with it many times because their kids are such great players......but they couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Sam wrote:There are lots of coaches out there that can't coach during games. Great recruiters that have no clue beyond filling out a lineup with exceptional athletes.

The situation you describe is a no-brainer. You walk the kid and set up force plays....depend on your pitcher to throw strikes and your infield to do their jobs.

I can think of coaching against guys who have won CIF that play their infields up with runners on 2nd and 3rd while they are up by six runs. Stupid. They get away with it many times because their kids are such great players......but they couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag.

I agree with Sam. I have, however, seen managers at the 8u and 10u start intentionally walking batters. IMO that is probably a little much
jonriv

by eclipse09 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:04 pm

jonriv wrote:
Sam wrote:There are lots of coaches out there that can't coach during games. Great recruiters that have no clue beyond filling out a lineup with exceptional athletes.

I agree with Sam. I have, however, seen managers at the 8u and 10u start intentionally walking batters. IMO that is probably a little much

Ha!! I have never seen it in 8u. What about 6u? ;)

I tried once to walk a batter with 2nd and 3rd, one out in extra innings in 10u. Pitcher tried to throw it outside (outside sign given) and threw it right down the middle. Lost. Never did it again until players were much older.......
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:06 am

I agree with Sam and the strategy ... But there is a slight wrinkle in NFHS where the intentional walk just became part of the game in 2018 ... Before that we were just pitching around someone where as now you can just send them to first at anytime prior to or during the count ... This adds another level to managing the game ... Throw 2 away and if they don't bite, send them to first ?

As far as D.S. teaching kids to intentional plunk a batter ... :roll: ... So it will "have a little sting attached" ? ... How about we teach them how to slide cleats up, intentionally interfere, obstruct or have a bench clearing brawl too ? Maybe they can disrespect an umpire while they're at it ? Leave some trash in the visitor dugout ? .... You've got no class.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Schmick » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:52 pm

I understand that comprehension may be difficult for you, is English your second language?
Read my post again and point out where it says I would tell my pitcher to intentionally bean a batter in the situation under discussion.
Go ahead, I'll wait.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:07 am

Schmick wrote:I understand that comprehension may be difficult for you, is English your second language?
Read my post again and point out where it says I would tell my pitcher to intentionally bean a batter in the situation under discussion.
Go ahead, I'll wait.

"I see no reason to give a free base if it doesn't have a little sting attached so I would prefer to hit the batter rather then intentionally walk them"
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by jonriv » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 am

Oh well
jonriv

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions