Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Speed, agility and strength training in youth

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Sam wrote:These are children for Christ's sake. They don't CHOOSE to do this. You are makiing them.....why? So you can talk about what psycho you are around the water cooler at work? This is so f*cked up and due solely to psycho parents seeking glory through their kids.

I agree with you Sam- not sure the value added-especially at younger ages
jonriv

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:16 pm

flyingfish2u wrote:
PairOfAces wrote:It seems to be a consensus that college coaches, of every sport, want to see multi-sport athletes. Maybe your travel team or coach gets a piece of each player that goes to the facility of the team. But in and of itself, speed and agility training is a good thing, if the instructors are good.

Our team does not mandate where you get your extra agility and strength training as long as you do them. Some of the other organizations down in Orange County will send their players to their organizational speed/agility training. I won't name which one, but It appears some of the players go as much as 3-4/week. They have a monthly list of how many times a player has been to their work out. This is all on Instagram for everyone to see. I don't like that they some of these leading organizations are indirectly pressuring other girls to do the same. I worry about younger athletes doing too much too soon and burn out.

My DD now plays for a team in an org that mandates use of their proprietary S&C program through the monthly team dues. Since the last org she played 3 years for didn't own a S&C company, you were expected to do S&C on your own. Some did some didn't, I would expect. We found a certified trainer down the street who designed a program for her. He was a college baseball player, so he knew the type of skills a softball girl would use. Not cheap, but since her HS does no S&C at all, thought it was worth it. Have seen results are far strength goes. Even playing up to 4 games a day, she seems to be able to check the "conditioned" box. New org won't honor the customized program as detailed by her Trainer, in lieu of their "one size fits all" program. I get it that if one person gets an exemption then everyone will ask for one and the easy $$ money grab, as Spazdad referenced above, would dry up. So I get to pay for something I don't use and pay some more for something I do use. My DD got a scholarship, anyway. A round about way of saying that no one size fits all for S&C. I think your idea of playing other sports as long as they can is a good one. Someone said consult a doctor. Sounds like good advice if you have doubts. Also, make sure your DD spends as much time on the books as she does with softball as she grows older.

Interesting about the posting of attendance to their S&C program. Does that org publish their softball stats as well? :lol:
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CAPE Fitness » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:58 am

Sam wrote:
CAPE Fitness wrote:My response is based on all angles of this topic: being a father of two daughters who played softball, a travel ball coach, and also a sports performance trainer.

Burnout comes from playing one sport year round from the age of 10 on through 18 or college. I always recommend the kids playing multiple sports, as it assists in creating different movement patterns to improve the neuromuscular patterns to solve coordination problems. I have had several athletes that have come and train with us that come back from college injured due to not learning how to lift properly. Yes they lift in high school, but if you find a good training facility that focuses on form and not so much on the amount of weight being thrown around, then you should trust them with your kids. Teaching kids at a younger age on proper form for lateral movement (how to properly plant to change direction) as well as lifting is just as important to prevent acl, mcl, and meniscus injuries.

At our training facility our focus is:
- Improving form and techniques to prevent athletic injuries
- Functional movement to increase strength in different planes of motion
- Increasing bi-lateral and uni-lateral strength in arms and legs
- Improving core strength that will improve balance and stabilization
- Making the athlete stronger to be more explosive in there sport
- Conditioning that will improve mental toughness
- Making a connection with each athlete to help them with a positive mindset that will carry on beyond their sport

Is there any possible reason to send a kid to you under the age of 14?

Yes there is reason to send a kid under the age of 14 to a speed and agility facility that focuses on the neuromuscular patterns. Especially if the kid is playing year round softball.
CAPE Fitness

by Sam » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:02 am

CAPE Fitness wrote:
Sam wrote:
CAPE Fitness wrote:My response is based on all angles of this topic: being a father of two daughters who played softball, a travel ball coach, and also a sports performance trainer.

Burnout comes from playing one sport year round from the age of 10 on through 18 or college. I always recommend the kids playing multiple sports, as it assists in creating different movement patterns to improve the neuromuscular patterns to solve coordination problems. I have had several athletes that have come and train with us that come back from college injured due to not learning how to lift properly. Yes they lift in high school, but if you find a good training facility that focuses on form and not so much on the amount of weight being thrown around, then you should trust them with your kids. Teaching kids at a younger age on proper form for lateral movement (how to properly plant to change direction) as well as lifting is just as important to prevent acl, mcl, and meniscus injuries.

At our training facility our focus is:
- Improving form and techniques to prevent athletic injuries
- Functional movement to increase strength in different planes of motion
- Increasing bi-lateral and uni-lateral strength in arms and legs
- Improving core strength that will improve balance and stabilization
- Making the athlete stronger to be more explosive in there sport
- Conditioning that will improve mental toughness
- Making a connection with each athlete to help them with a positive mindset that will carry on beyond their sport

Is there any possible reason to send a kid to you under the age of 14?

Yes there is reason to send a kid under the age of 14 to a speed and agility facility that focuses on the neuromuscular patterns. Especially if the kid is playing year round softball.

So....no. Parents making these kids go to this crap is sick. People who do it talk on this board matter-of-factly about it as if it is normal. Sick people.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SDTitans » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:53 am

I personally don't see why speed and conditioning is such a big thing and having to pay extra for it. Especially when teams go once a week.. a waste of freaking time on that.. but hey big name orgs are doing it so we should too.

How about kicking your kid outside, make them actually go play another sport and be kids.. want to work on wrist snap.. take them fly fishing.. want to work on core... go surfing.. want to get faster.. join track team..
SDTitans
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions