Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Speed, agility and strength training in youth

What's on your mind?

by flyingfish2u » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 am

My DDs 1st year 12U travel team encourages 2x/week agility/strength training. Just wondering when is the appropriate age to start this, especially strength training. She is only 11 and still growing. I'm not sure what's the benefit of lifting weights at an early age. Also, the team discourages playing other sports because of added commitment to training. I'm just wondering why can't she get speed/agility/strength training from playing other sports rec soccer/basketball/volleyball or swim. Is there any research to validate the extra agility/strength training in youth in lieu playing other sports?

By the way, some of these agility/strength coaches/facilities in SoCal are very expensive. I find that they range from $20-$35/class. I'm not sure if this just fitness/softball business just promoting this trend or is there a valid research on this topic.
flyingfish2u
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:22 pm

EM Speed and Power, they're a sponsor of the board, you start the kids at 8 or 9 and it's not expensive at all.
If you live close to Corona, there's place called Winners Circle, it's pricier but well worth it and they design programs for various ages all the way down to 5 years old or so.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by flyingfish2u » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Schmick wrote:EM Speed and Power, they're a sponsor of the board, you start the kids at 8 or 9 and it's not expensive at all.
If you live close to Corona, there's place called Winners Circle, it's pricier but well worth it and they design programs for various ages all the way down to 5 years old or so.

I wish we lived closer to EM Speed and Power. I live near Thousand oaks area. The big facility here is the sports academy (aka Mamba Academy). The classes here are $20-$35 a class. I can't imagine what a 5 year old or 8/9 yo would get from these classes that they won't get from playing soccer or basketball or swimming or just playing dodge ball for an hour.
flyingfish2u
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 pm

It seems to be a consensus that college coaches, of every sport, want to see multi-sport athletes. Maybe your travel team or coach gets a piece of each player that goes to the facility of the team. But in and of itself, speed and agility training is a good thing, if the instructors are good.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:02 am

My daughter never attended “speed and agility” training. My recollection was the players that did were either “huskier” or otherwise non-athletic. Frankly never saw a benefit for those that did attend

There was conditioning and some strength training in HS. Heavy duty strength training started in college

I would suggest consulting your pediatrician before enrolling in strength or speed and agility training-especially at earlier ages
jonriv

by eclipse09 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:57 am

I agree with JR about consulting a Doc. All of the girls that participated in a separate speed and agility course burned out much faster than the ones who didn't. Can't kids be kids on the days their not doing practice, hitting lessons and games?
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by flyingfish2u » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:24 am

PairOfAces wrote:It seems to be a consensus that college coaches, of every sport, want to see multi-sport athletes. Maybe your travel team or coach gets a piece of each player that goes to the facility of the team. But in and of itself, speed and agility training is a good thing, if the instructors are good.

Our team does not mandate where you get your extra agility and strength training as long as you do them. Some of the other organizations down in Orange County will send their players to their organizational speed/agility training. I won't name which one, but It appears some of the players go as much as 3-4/week. They have a monthly list of how many times a player has been to their work out. This is all on Instagram for everyone to see. I don't like that they some of these leading organizations are indirectly pressuring other girls to do the same. I worry about younger athletes doing too much too soon and burn out.
flyingfish2u
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 am

These are children for Christ's sake. They don't CHOOSE to do this. You are makiing them.....why? So you can talk about what psycho you are around the water cooler at work? This is so f*cked up and due solely to psycho parents seeking glory through their kids.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CAPE Fitness » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:52 pm

My response is based on all angles of this topic: being a father of two daughters who played softball, a travel ball coach, and also a sports performance trainer.

Burnout comes from playing one sport year round from the age of 10 on through 18 or college. I always recommend the kids playing multiple sports, as it assists in creating different movement patterns to improve the neuromuscular patterns to solve coordination problems. I have had several athletes that have come and train with us that come back from college injured due to not learning how to lift properly. Yes they lift in high school, but if you find a good training facility that focuses on form and not so much on the amount of weight being thrown around, then you should trust them with your kids. Teaching kids at a younger age on proper form for lateral movement (how to properly plant to change direction) as well as lifting is just as important to prevent acl, mcl, and meniscus injuries.

At our training facility our focus is:
- Improving form and techniques to prevent athletic injuries
- Functional movement to increase strength in different planes of motion
- Increasing bi-lateral and uni-lateral strength in arms and legs
- Improving core strength that will improve balance and stabilization
- Making the athlete stronger to be more explosive in there sport
- Conditioning that will improve mental toughness
- Making a connection with each athlete to help them with a positive mindset that will carry on beyond their sport
CAPE Fitness

by Sam » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:08 pm

CAPE Fitness wrote:My response is based on all angles of this topic: being a father of two daughters who played softball, a travel ball coach, and also a sports performance trainer.

Burnout comes from playing one sport year round from the age of 10 on through 18 or college. I always recommend the kids playing multiple sports, as it assists in creating different movement patterns to improve the neuromuscular patterns to solve coordination problems. I have had several athletes that have come and train with us that come back from college injured due to not learning how to lift properly. Yes they lift in high school, but if you find a good training facility that focuses on form and not so much on the amount of weight being thrown around, then you should trust them with your kids. Teaching kids at a younger age on proper form for lateral movement (how to properly plant to change direction) as well as lifting is just as important to prevent acl, mcl, and meniscus injuries.

At our training facility our focus is:
- Improving form and techniques to prevent athletic injuries
- Functional movement to increase strength in different planes of motion
- Increasing bi-lateral and uni-lateral strength in arms and legs
- Improving core strength that will improve balance and stabilization
- Making the athlete stronger to be more explosive in there sport
- Conditioning that will improve mental toughness
- Making a connection with each athlete to help them with a positive mindset that will carry on beyond their sport

Is there any possible reason to send a kid to you under the age of 14?
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions