Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Golf?

What's on your mind?

by flyingfish2u » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:27 am

My 12 yo DD wants to try golf. I am afraid it might ruin her swing...worse she might actually like golf over softball :shock: Anyway, she is a converted lefty, slapper. She switched beginning of this year and she is doing great, but I am afraid golf might ruin her softball swing. Is there any truth to this? I'm thinking may be she could try golf at the end of summer, but hit from the right side. What are your thoughts?
flyingfish2u
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Not sure this will help exactly, but I have two golf players on my high school team. One is batting almost 400 and the other is just under 200. You can guess which one says golf messed them up and is thinking about quitting golf.

I think as long as they keep doing lessons for hitting all will be fine. Plus golf needs more female players especially in high school and college. Let her play if she enjoys it.

PS I think the player batting 200 is using golf as an excuse as she has hit the ball well but at people. A slight adjustment and she will be fine.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by giasdad » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:20 pm

She's 12! Let the kid try golf if she wants to try golf. Ladies golf AKA the LPGA tour has a bunch more millionaires on it than the women's professional fast pitch does!! Golf is also an individual sport, so she'll learn different lessons from it. I am a huge proponent of multiple sports and HATE the specialization that these kids get into now. Just my two cents. Good luck
giasdad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xyzdude » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:35 am

From the other end of the time line looking back, my 26 year old former softball player wishes now that she had skipped a day here and there of softball to try golf and tennis. She's learning and getting better at both but playing catch up with those who have been playing their whole life. I'd look at golf and/or tennis as an investment in your parent to adult child relationship, which by the way, lasts for much longer than the parent/child relationship. Have fun.
xyzdude

by E Train Dad » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 am

i tried to "Guide" my DD towards Golf, she wanted no part of it.....still playing College SB. Golf is a sport, especially with so few females that pays dividends for years down the road, whether it's a career, or just for fun at the corporate golf outing. So many good relationships and opportunities happen while playing this silly game well beyond college. I say silly, cause I still am pathetic at the stupid sport! :lol:
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:58 am

IMHO ... Although golf is like watching paint dry ... Don't ever stand in the way of anything that your kid wants to do that is reasonable and not dangerous.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to Fastpitch Discussions