Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

LAY OFF THE RISE!!!!!

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm

@Dusty my daughter is back East she is a freshman playing for Providence College. She is a true riseballer in every sense of the word she tells me the ball seems to bite a little better out there, Truth be told she was taught a riseball and fastball from day one her fastball became her peel drop and her riseball became her main go to pitch. Now in college its the other way around her drop is her go to and her rise is her set up pitch....The great part is she has Bill Hillhouse guiding her as the pitching coach for PC and he is all about the riseball!!!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Make sure to head to Federal Hill when in PVD

Also, you have to try the NY system hot wieners
jonriv

by dusty » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:28 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:@Dusty my daughter is back East she is a freshman playing for Providence College. She is a true riseballer in every sense of the word she tells me the ball seems to bite a little better out there, Truth be told she was taught a riseball and fastball from day one her fastball became her peel drop and her riseball became her main go to pitch. Now in college its the other way around her drop is her go to and her rise is her set up pitch....The great part is she has Bill Hillhouse guiding her as the pitching coach for PC and he is all about the riseball!!!!

Well that's pretty cool, the dd of a men's fp pitcher goes to college and her pitching coach is a well known and highly regarded men's fp pitcher. I've bought most if not all of Hillhouse's dvd's based on the recommendation of both my dd's first pitching coach, an old vet of men's fp , Jim Brackin. Good to hear that BH has recovered from his health issues and is coaching at the college level.

My dd has always pitched on the east coast so she doesn't have another climate to compare it to. She did get her offer at IDT a couple of years ago and although I wasn't there I think she said she didn't have her best stuff but the coach had seen enough outside that tourney to make an offer. She's at a P5 D1 on the low end of the competitive spectrum but it's her dream school and an in-state public. Other than our W/L record she's been very happy there.
dusty

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:19 am

Hurray the rise ball !

IMO Should be able to hit
anything and everything!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 am

Thats right Turbo, good hitters can hit from the toes to the nose!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CoachMike » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:21 pm

Great discussion Curveball guy.

Perhaps I can throw in two cents that may help clarify or explain some of the comments or theories that have been mentioned here.

One of the best clinic sessions I have attended years ago was by Bob Todd at the All Sports Clinic. Bob explained the rise ball very well. But he also told us that he has seen a lot of young players who come out thinking they are throwing a RISE BALL and all they are throwing is a RISING FASTBALL. Obviously there's a big difference.

That year I had one of the best pitcher's I've ever coached, if not the best. We had her go through the tryout even though we knew she was our new pitcher. When she threw her rise ball, everything Bob Todd had said was demonstrated in the first pitch. Her pitch came in just above belt high, and about 2 or 3 feet in front of the plate the ball literally jumped about 6 inches. I was discussing this with another friend who had played men's fastpitch and he told me if his rise ball was above the numbers it was too high.

Yes I hard throwing pitcher throwing RISING FAST BALLS may get away with lesser batters chasing all the time. And any batter is likely to chase any balls sometimes. But the best batters I've seen do learn how to lay off the RISING FAST BALLS most of the time. (Notice I said "most of the time." Not all of the time.)

Give me a pitcher with a good rise ball and a good change up, and a decent curve or screw and I will succeed against most batters quite often.

Again good post.
You cannot make a positive impact with a negative mind!

Teach First
    Win Later

https://customlineupcards.com
CoachMike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu May 02, 2019 6:53 am

High Fastball is a
ROCKET SHOT
punishing the pitcher
and the ball
for making that mistake!

Thats the "oops"
Hitters pounce on !

CRUSH IT
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu May 02, 2019 7:22 am

How about some Q&A

Whats most used called pitch in SB.
-posibly rise?!

What's your favorite pitch?

Mine dropball.
Can use it inside or out. Spin is deceptive does not look like it's going to have movement. Can be thrown at different speeds effectively. Great tool for slicing the edges of the plate to set up screwball and curve. Devastating to Lefty slappers. Hard to bunt. Creates more grounders.
Can be thrown for a strike and still have movement. Can be located as a chaser pitch shallow or deep at the plate.
Add's bottom of the strikezone to strategy
like the rise does to the top of strikezone.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Thu May 02, 2019 10:35 am

Devastating to slappers? A true slapper (bunts and has short and power game) wants that pitch (dropball) preferably on the outside edge of the plate.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu May 02, 2019 12:29 pm

Success is already in the books!

Attack lefty's moving feet drop.
Bunting is difficult when
the pitch is at the ankles.
Imo, Down & up much better attack at lefty slappers....outside all the time is a love it (hit-it) or leave it as a ball on the count and takes part of strike zone away from pitcher. Attack inside!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu May 02, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions