Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Selecting a travel ball organization

What's on your mind?

by mjdavis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:49 pm

My daughter is currently on a 12u gold team. We plan on transitioning to travel ball once nationals are complete. I have contacted 7 different organizations in our area. Five have been both professional and personal in their responses and comments about tryouts coming up in August. Interestingly, in talking to parents who currently have kids playing in these organizations I have come across some very strong opinions including some that are quite negative about the character of the various organizations. However, it seems that each organization has a following who is very positive about them while people outside the organization sometimes comment that "you don't want to affiliate with those people...!"

Is there any general guidance or recommendations for how to chose one organization over another if my daughter is fortunate enough to get invitations to play for more than one team? I have heard that there are girls who hop around a bit from team to team for all sorts of reasons. Is this normal? Am I being overly optimistic by hoping that we could initially chose an organization that my daughter could play for from now all the way through 18u?

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
mjdavis
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:28 am

I’m confused.......isn’t a “gold” team travel ball??
jonriv

by Chin Music » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:30 am

Choose a team not an organization. So many organizations have 50+ teams so choose wisely. What’s written on the front doesn’t mean squat till u get to the recruiting ages. And with these big organizations having diluted their prestige, it’s not that critical at the recruiting ages.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:47 am

You have ask a very simple question for a highly complex issue. Whether or not you choose to read this long-winded response keep in mind that this is just one persons opinion...

The name of the organization should only be one of many factors you consider when choosing a team for your daughter. Its actually ironic that they are called organizations because that is often what they lack (organization). The only real consistency you will find with most orgs at the lower age levels is that they wear similar uniforms.

What you really need to do is get out and watch some games/practices for any team that you are looking at for your daughter. Get as much information as you can to determine if the coaching style, schedule, other plays, parents, etc. is the right match for you. The real problem with this is, if you don't know what you are looking at there is no way to intelligently judge what you are seeing.

99% of coaches are going to tell you the same thing... no daddy ball, plenty of playing time, small roster, blah blah blah. Almost every coach that does not have a resume to lean on mimics the words of coaches that have actually seen success, so it is difficult for newcomers to tell the difference between the real deal or a copycat. Coaching for 20 years, coming 7th at TCS nationals, winning a random tournament, etc. does not make someone qualified. Having been a D1 player doesn't necessarily make someone qualified to coach either. Having coached and had success at coaching is what should tell you whether or not someone is qualified and/or getting it right. If a coach has a history or getting it right for a long period of time, and in recent years, and your daughter is good enough to make that team, that is would likely be a good place to be.

Also, word of mouth is really hard to rely on. Many parents you will speak to have strong opinions based on their own personal experiences, which could vary greatly from someone else who has a daughter on the very same team. You also have to take into consideration whether or not the parent you are speaking with can be considered an authority solely based on having a daughter that plays.

Long story longer... your daughter/you/your family are about to embark on a journey that requires patients, assertiveness, research and many other things. Something I am certain of is that you should know your kid best. Don't let some bonehead coach tell you that you need to just drop your daughter off with him/her and that is it. Trust and respect are built over time. Pay close attention to what is happening and make calculated intelligent decisions based on the need of your daughter and the family that is being dragged around nearly every day of the week for travel related events.

If you can find a parent that has been through this already and doesn't think so highly of themselves that they pretend they know it all, then pick their brain as much as you can. At the end of the day it is your job to raise your daughter and make sure she is in the best situation.

Lastly, the extra work that you and your daughter put in outside of team practice and games is gonna be the difference maker. I have yet to see a player that has had any form of success that only goes to practice and games and takes the rest of the week off.

Good luck my friend
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by mjdavis » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Chin Music wrote:Choose a team not an organization. So many organizations have 50+ teams so choose wisely. What’s written on the front doesn’t mean squat till u get to the recruiting ages. And with these big organizations having diluted their prestige, it’s not that critical at the recruiting ages.

Thank you!
mjdavis
Premium Member
Premium Member

by mjdavis » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Defty wrote:You have ask a very simple question for a highly complex issue. Whether or not you choose to read this long-winded response keep in mind that this is just one persons opinion...

The name of the organization should only be one of many factors you consider when choosing a team for your daughter. Its actually ironic that they are called organizations because that is often what they lack (organization). The only real consistency you will find with most orgs at the lower age levels is that they wear similar uniforms.

What you really need to do is get out and watch some games/practices for any team that you are looking at for your daughter. Get as much information as you can to determine if the coaching style, schedule, other plays, parents, etc. is the right match for you. The real problem with this is, if you don't know what you are looking at there is no way to intelligently judge what you are seeing.

99% of coaches are going to tell you the same thing... no daddy ball, plenty of playing time, small roster, blah blah blah. Almost every coach that does not have a resume to lean on mimics the words of coaches that have actually seen success, so it is difficult for newcomers to tell the difference between the real deal or a copycat. Coaching for 20 years, coming 7th at TCS nationals, winning a random tournament, etc. does not make someone qualified. Having been a D1 player doesn't necessarily make someone qualified to coach either. Having coached and had success at coaching is what should tell you whether or not someone is qualified and/or getting it right. If a coach has a history or getting it right for a long period of time, and in recent years, and your daughter is good enough to make that team, that is would likely be a good place to be.

Also, word of mouth is really hard to rely on. Many parents you will speak to have strong opinions based on their own personal experiences, which could vary greatly from someone else who has a daughter on the very same team. You also have to take into consideration whether or not the parent you are speaking with can be considered an authority solely based on having a daughter that plays.

Long story longer... your daughter/you/your family are about to embark on a journey that requires patients, assertiveness, research and many other things. Something I am certain of is that you should know your kid best. Don't let some bonehead coach tell you that you need to just drop your daughter off with him/her and that is it. Trust and respect are built over time. Pay close attention to what is happening and make calculated intelligent decisions based on the need of your daughter and the family that is being dragged around nearly every day of the week for travel related events.

If you can find a parent that has been through this already and doesn't think so highly of themselves that they pretend they know it all, then pick their brain as much as you can. At the end of the day it is your job to raise your daughter and make sure she is in the best situation.

Lastly, the extra work that you and your daughter put in outside of team practice and games is gonna be the difference maker. I have yet to see a player that has had any form of success that only goes to practice and games and takes the rest of the week off.

Good luck my friend

Thanks you!
mjdavis
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Read Defty's post again. Best of luck to you and your daughter. Enjoy the ride, because it goes very fast. I hope your DD keeps loving the game as she grows older and moves up in divisions. I asked my DD every year if she wanted to play another year. Each year it was a resounding yes. The sport is growing so much in popularity throughout the country and there are more opportunities than ever. I hope you find a coach who really understands the fundamentals and is good at teaching them to 12 year old girls. Don't be afraid to ask as many questions to your prospective coaches as it takes for your to get a clear sense of how they intend to run the team.

Make sure your DD is having fun along the way! My DD heads off to college in the fall courtesy of her academic and softball abilities. Make sure there is a balance between all the lessons they want to sell you and the time your DD spends with the books and friends. She can have it all.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:04 pm

jonriv wrote:I’m confused.......isn’t a “gold” team travel ball??

In CA a 12u gold team is a rec league's number one all-star team. Normally either the whole team or many players from that team move on to travel ball.
Last edited by eclipse09 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:12 pm

My kid found a lower tier travel team (12u and part of 14u) and played a bunch. She got valuable experience but not great coaching. One thing I always made sure is that she went to pitching and hitting lessons from some of the better coaches around. This actually led her to a very well respected travel org that had multiple teams per division. Took her a few teams to find her fit, but once she did everything went well (played for only two travel orgs).

So playing time at the younger age (although make sure you get a good coach) and finding a team that suits her skill level at an older age.

Plenty of opportunities out there with hard work and drive. Good luck!!
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bigclemdawg » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:24 am

eclipse09 wrote:My kid found a lower tier travel team (12u and part of 14u) and played a bunch. She got valuable experience but not great coaching. One thing I always made sure is that she went to pitching and hitting lessons from some of the better coaches around. This actually led her to a very well respected travel org that had multiple teams per division. Took her a few teams to find her fit, but once she did everything went well (played for only two travel orgs).

So playing time at the younger age (although make sure you get a good coach) and finding a team that suits her skill level at an older age.

Plenty of opportunities out there with hard work and drive. Good luck!!

I agree 100% find somewhere she can maximize reps and avoid the use car salesman who will promise you the world. and stay away from those who will try to trap you with a contract or with crazy start up fee on first day you show up. do your homework and don't settle for anything less then the best situation for your kid. sometimes it takes a few tryouts but you will know when you find it... good luck and see you at the ball field
bigclemdawg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions