Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Selecting a travel ball organization

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:03 am

NumeroUno wrote:
mjdavis wrote:
Schmick wrote:Find a team that does not have a coaches kid playing the same position as your kid and that went to PGF the last season.

Great idea! Wouldn't it be cool if next to a coaches name on a team roster it stated which position his/her daughter played, or stated "no daughter on the team"!

I coached with plenty of coaches who had kids on the team n didn’t favor them or baby them.

I have seen it both ways and to an extreme.

Best experiences were with coaches that did not have daughter on the team. It avoided both real and perceived favoritism-JMO
jonriv

by NumeroUno » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:23 am

jonriv wrote:
NumeroUno wrote:
mjdavis wrote:
Schmick wrote:Find a team that does not have a coaches kid playing the same position as your kid and that went to PGF the last season.

Great idea! Wouldn't it be cool if next to a coaches name on a team roster it stated which position his/her daughter played, or stated "no daughter on the team"!

I coached with plenty of coaches who had kids on the team n didn’t favor them or baby them.

Best experiences were with coaches that did not have daughter on the team. It avoided both real and perceived favoritism-JMO

I agree if you had a choice, coached with no daughters are better. What about coaches with no daughters but still favorite a certain player or to. :D
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by jonriv » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:11 am

NumeroUno wrote:
jonriv wrote:
NumeroUno wrote:
mjdavis wrote:

I agree if you had a choice, coached with no daughters are better. What about coaches with no daughters but still favorite a certain player or to. :D

As long as the favorite was the most talented :D
jonriv

by jonriv » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 am

My daughter was on a team where the coach was extra hard on his daughter- borderline abusive.

Sometimes coaches try to show how "fair" they are and their own daughter's suffer
jonriv

by mjdavis » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:38 am

jonriv wrote:My daughter was on a team where the coach was extra hard on his daughter- borderline abusive.

Sometimes coaches try to show how "fair" they are and their own daughter's suffer

It's always good advice to avoid, if possible, a conflict of interest.

I am mindful that the door does swing both ways. We have had good experiences with father/daughter combinations but we have never been on a team where the head coaches daughters primary position matched that of my daughter.

Interestingly, even though it's not perfect, the easily accessible season long stats that everyone can see on game changer do illuminate the various girls stats which can be objectively used to justify batting order placement and defensive utilization. However, anyone with admin access can monkey with stats (hit vs error, etc.) to help fudge the numbers if they choose!

I am grateful for all the advice this thread has provided
mjdavis
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Daddyball is an excuse for why your kid don’t play.

LOL...Yeah that... and if not for Daddyball, their kid probably would have never started playing in the first place.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by ruizedward1971 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 am

Which organizations did you happen to contact?
ruizedward1971

by mjdavis » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:49 am

Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial initial post. The response has been overwhelmingly informative. We look forward to the tryout season that'll commence right after our return from Medford.
mjdavis
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mcaringella » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:34 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:Do yourself a favor...... Have her take up golf!!!!

HAHAHAHA.
Mcaringella
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:03 am

For every family that trash talks a team, there's another family that's wants to stay and play.
notthisagain

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions