Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Baseball swing Vs Softball swing?!?!?!

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:52 am

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I thought I would bring it up for shits and giggles....

So is there a difference?? Here is my take on this one...YES there is, I'm no hitting instructor or expert but I played baseball before I transitioned to mens fastpitch. Granted it was mens league and the pitching was decent to good at times however, I was able to hit pretty well in baseball.

Transitioned to mens fastpitch struck out approximately 30 times once even letting go of my bat (embarrassing story) before I finally got a hit. It took me a loooong time before I became a decent hitter in fastpitch. To be honest the only thing that stayed the same about my swing was my load and separation my swing plane and approach completely changed . My baseball swing was not very effective against fastpitch shooters at all!! Like I said I'm no hitting guru this is just my experience but I have seen some college hitters look very similar to baseball hitters.......
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:59 am

"the ONLY thing that stayed the same about my swing was my load and separation my swing plane."

Thats a lot of staying the same. What changed mechanically? How did your approach change?
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 am

Like I said my load and separation stayed the same. As for what changed mechanically I'm not sure if this qualifies but my hands are much higher now as I swing and I feel more compact. As for my approach I look more at keeping my hands back then before and I look to swing top half of the ball more often then not.....But that's just what I had to do to make contact against some of the male pitchers I was facing that's what worked for me! Now my swing is far from what I would consider nice mechanically perfect but it works for ME.

I guess I'm wondering does it matter to instructors whether or not its a girls playing softball or a boy playing baseball its one swing for all?!?!?!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sftblldad25 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:12 pm

Because the distance is shorter and the need for faster reaction times, I see the softball swing shorter, more compact and with a smaller, quicker load than a baseball pitch. Also the front side foot for men looks like an ankle rollover at the end of the swing, whereas for women/girls, the front side foot should stay parallel, grounded, on the ball of the feet. But then again, what do I know? I'm just a fat Heybucket dad here for the popcorn.
sftblldad25
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:13 pm

curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:24 am

curveballerguy124 wrote:I'm sure this has been brought up before but I thought I would bring it up for shits and giggles....

So is there a difference?? Here is my take on this one...YES there is, I'm no hitting instructor or expert but I played baseball before I transitioned to mens fastpitch. Granted it was mens league and the pitching was decent to good at times however, I was able to hit pretty well in baseball.

Transitioned to mens fastpitch struck out approximately 30 times once even letting go of my bat (embarrassing story) before I finally got a hit. It took me a loooong time before I became a decent hitter in fastpitch. To be honest the only thing that stayed the same about my swing was my load and separation my swing plane and approach completely changed . My baseball swing was not very effective against fastpitch shooters at all!! Like I said I'm no hitting guru this is just my experience but I have seen some college hitters look very similar to baseball hitters.......

Hey, let's get a linear vs Rotational discussion going too!! :D
jonriv

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:12 am

Enjoy Softball
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:06 am, edited 10 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:57 pm

No difference except timing adjustment.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by 110% » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:21 pm

There is no difference between a baseball swing and a softball swing. Timing is slightly different but the biggest difference is the trajectory of the pitch coming to the hitter. In baseball it's travelling slightly down ( 20-25 degrees depending on the pitchers height and arm angle) versus slightly up for softball. Also picking the ball up out of the pitchers hand is more difficult in softball. But the proper sequence and the mechanics are the same.
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:49 pm

@ Battle & 110..... Do you guys think that the difference in ball trajectory and timing alters the mechanics in any way??? Remember I see guys come over all the time from baseball and they kill it fielding but struggle horribly at hitting. Some eventually get it and hit HARD but a lot of them don't catch on too well and for the most part just get picked up for fielding.

Thats what led me to even bring this up because there is a kid out of college that has come to play with us they picked him up for mens nationals coming up in August. He looks like a baller smashes off the tee and front toss, has had 19 AB's with us and has yet to put a ball in play........ If the swings were so similar shouldn't he have caught on by now??
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions