Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Did your team?

What's on your mind?

by notthisagain » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:50 am

Stay together or break apart?
Other than moving up in age bracket, is there any real excuse to leave a team knowing the same crap can happen on the next team.
For every family that leaves a team another will join.
Is the grass greener overthere?
notthisagain
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:07 am

by cwcivicgrl » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:41 pm

The million dollar question! How about your daughter is on a great team if only you could pick the team up and move it closer to home.
cwcivicgrl
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:33 am

by curveballerguy124 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:46 pm

I have been doing this a long time and I have been fortunate enough to be doing it for the same organization this entire time. Over the years I was blessed to have a core group of good parents that stayed with me through the years and throughout the various age groups. Parents that I still keep in touch with to this day.

However, I have also had my fair share of the BBD parents, the ones that always had one foot out. Always talking to their friends on other squads looking for the next bigger better deal..... Its just part of it and I have NEVER tried to keep a kid from leaving. If the grass looks greener elsewhere by all means go and explore it. Its all about the right fit, and in my experience one of three things happen to the BBD parents. Either they find the perfect squad, get tired of blowing tons of dough on start -up fees, or they become "those" parents, the ones that every coach in travel ball know by first, last, and middle name!!!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:53 pm

by notthisagain » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:37 am

cwcivicgrl wrote:The million dollar question! How about your daughter is on a great team if only you could pick the team up and move it closer to home.


Relocating the family might be easier then finding another great team.
If I could work out the time to drive the distance, rather do that than put up with local monkey business.
Basic request consistent schedule planned ahead of time and atleast decent ran practices.
The figure it out as they go coaches are no good.
notthisagain
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:07 am

by Dynamutt » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Incomplete list of logical reasons to leave a team:
1. Move from “B” to “A” (e.g., mostly USSSA to mostly PGF)

2. Nagging ethical concerns about the coach and/or organization (e.g., not ok with coach drinking between games, high fees & numerous fundraisers but very few tournaments entered, picking up 3 starting guest players prior to Nationals, coach habitually talks smack about some kids/families to other kids’ parents...)

3. Practices - the one team practice per week model doesn’t work for all kids. Especially at 10s/12s, some need the structure of 2-3 practices each week to learn skills and grow softball IQ, and not everyone can afford multiple outside trainers for that. Conversely, I know some families that go to teams with fewer practices so the kid can play another sport with minimal conflicts.

But yeah... I get you. Generally the grass is the greenest where you water it. For many, if you put more energy into supporting the team than complaining about it, it might not look as bad to you. But, if you’ve tried and the situation really isn’t a fit, the thousands of dollars we spend each year justifies seeking something better.
Dynamutt
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:07 pm

by DirtyRiders » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Totally agree with all comments. It is extremely rare that your daughter gets the opportunity to play on a top team, gets playing time with not a lot of drama, and is a local team. In the younger divisions I think it’s most important for kids to get playing time so if you are on a team where that is happening the grass will never be greener. As they get older you may have to make tough decisions with your daughters best interests in mind and switch to a more reputable organization and/or have to travel a little bit to practice.
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:01 pm

by cwcivicgrl » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:44 am

notthisagain wrote:
cwcivicgrl wrote:The million dollar question! How about your daughter is on a great team if only you could pick the team up and move it closer to home.


Relocating the family might be easier then finding another great team.
If I could work out the time to drive the distance, rather do that than put up with local monkey business.
Basic request consistent schedule planned ahead of time and atleast decent ran practices.
The figure it out as they go coaches are no good.



Relocate for 14U softball? Yea no that will never happen. I live where I am because the schools are amazing and I have another child that I'm not moving out of the area just to get closer to my daughters travel ball team. My husband also grew up where we live. If there are no good local teams then we stay put right where we are on a great team. Our drive sucks but lately I am seeing some parents taking an even larger commute then our family. I'm not relocating till my child goes to college.
cwcivicgrl
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:33 am

by notthisagain » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:06 pm

cwcivicgrl wrote:
notthisagain wrote:
cwcivicgrl wrote:The million dollar question! How about your daughter is on a great team if only you could pick the team up and move it closer to home.


Relocating the family might be easier then finding another great team.
If I could work out the time to drive the distance, rather do that than put up with local monkey business.
Basic request consistent schedule planned ahead of time and atleast decent ran practices.
The figure it out as they go coaches are no good.



Relocate for 14U softball? Yea no that will never happen. I live where I am because the schools are amazing and I have another child that I'm not moving out of the area just to get closer to my daughters travel ball team. My husband also grew up where we live. If there are no good local teams then we stay put right where we are on a great team. Our drive sucks but lately I am seeing some parents taking an even larger commute then our family. I'm not relocating till my child goes to college.


Relocating family easier then finding new team sarcasm to your sarcasm of relocating the entire team. Which both maybe easier then finding local great team fit.
The commute is worthwhile then. Compromise distance not team experience.
notthisagain
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:07 am

by Spazsdad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:59 pm

cwcivicgrl wrote:
I'm not relocating till my child goes to college.

Hopefully not to the town the college is in
Spazsdad
 
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:48 pm

by cwcivicgrl » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:07 am

I was not seriously suggesting to relocate the entire the team, majority of my daughters team lives where the team is located. Her team has no issues but there is going to be a lot of changes this upcoming season and some that might not be so great but were sticking it out.
cwcivicgrl
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:33 am

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions