Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Communication from teams

What's on your mind?

by Papa_bear » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:41 pm

My daughter has been looking for a team and is new to the try out process.

She tried out for a couple of squads and got what we thought was good reviews along with a comment that they’d get back to us “soon”. It’s been a few days and no word

How long is appropriate to wait before reaching out to the coach?

Thanks
Papa_bear
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:12 pm

Papa_bear wrote:My daughter has been looking for a team and is new to the try out process.

She tried out for a couple of squads and got what we thought was good reviews along with a comment that they’d get back to us “soon”. It’s been a few days and no word

How long is appropriate to wait before reaching out to the coach?

Thanks

They should have given you either a time frame for contact or information regarding a follow up tryout.

If you don't get any communication from them soon then I would avoid those teams and orgs.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Dont ever wait on indecisive coaches. Go to as many tryouts as you want and pick the team you want. Coaches that dont make a decision are often waiting for some other player that's pulling their strings also.
Agree with other poster they should have been more specific on time frame. Soon has passed already.
notthisagain

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:30 am

Go to a team that wants her from day one, preferable ....If that team is on the fence about her they will invite her back for a second look. If they seen all that they need to see and they are upfront they will say, "sorry but not what we are looking for good luck".

If it was a BIG tryout then its tuff because you have first choice, second choice, third choice etc. etc. and maybe coach is waiting for answers back... Sometimes its hard to remember to get back to everyone because with big tryouts it gets exhausting. It also could be the coach is just a chicken shit and doesn't want to man up and say what needs to be said. If that's the case consider yourself lucky he didnt pick you....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:33 pm

If the team wants you the coaches at the tryout will let you know before you get to your car after the tryout is over. It's not uncommon to have coaches come and try to lock you down while the tryouts are still going on, if they want your player.

If you haven't heard from them in a couple days then they didn't want your kid and you should tryout elsewhere
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by mjdavis » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:43 pm

Our family is brand new to travel ball. We had five tryouts scheduled for the second weekend of August. After the first tryout the coach told my daughter (not me) that he'd be calling her dad about an offer shortly which he ultimately did during our second tryout an hour later. I thanked him but told him that we had four other tryouts to attend just to get a feel for the other options, He understood and acted professionally.

For the rest of the weekend, at the end of each of the four tryouts I told the coach that my daughter had an actionable offer and if he didn't want her to please let me know because I didn't want to keep the first coach waiting any longer than necessary. Surprisingly (to me), she got offers from the remaining four coaches either on the spot or via a phone call within 30 minutes after we left the tryout. By Sunday evening my daughter had five offers to choose from. She felt very very lucky.

As I said above, we are brand new and I didn't initially know if our experience was normal or not. But the point of my post is to suggest that our limited experience has demonstrated, if they want your daughter, they don't hesitate to tell you so. If I were in your shoes I would not wait for a phone call but would keep going to tryouts until they give you a quick offer.
mjdavis
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Papa_bear » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I took your advice and told my daughter we should continue our search despite how much she like this team. It was disappointing to be left wondering why she never got a call back but she didn’t quit her search.

We went to 4 other try outs and got offers from 3 teams. One on the spot early on which was a pleasant surprise and she almost accepted.

Thankfully she went to the others and found a team that was a better fit and in my opinion had better coaching.
Papa_bear
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:53 pm

Glad it worked out for you
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GURULE18 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:56 pm

A good coach knows what he wants in a player. He'll work them out according to type of plays his/her team needs players to make. If you can swing it they'll find a spot for you!!! An experienced coach can tell right away the players body language, skill level, athleticism, effort and attitude. If he wants her he'll offer on the spot!!! If theres other players behind the scenes I guarantee the Coach will say I'll give you a call...

On the flipside when offered a spot take it - your there for a reason in terms of tryout team priority. If that team is your top target then take the offer dont waste time and say well we gotta check out a few other tryouts!!! That's why I say tryouts should be taken in priority.
GURULE18
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:51 pm

GURULE18 wrote:A good coach knows what he wants in a player. He'll work them out according to type of plays his/her team needs players to make. If you can swing it they'll find a spot for you!!! An experienced coach can tell right away the players body language, skill level, athleticism, effort and attitude. If he wants her he'll offer on the spot!!! If theres other players behind the scenes I guarantee the Coach will say I'll give you a call...

On the flipside when offered a spot take it - your there for a reason in terms of tryout team priority. If that team is your top target then take the offer dont waste time and say well we gotta check out a few other tryouts!!! That's why I say tryouts should be taken in priority.

My kid was up front with a coach and let them know she wanted to attend all tryouts she had scheduled after receiving an offer. This is about 4 years ago. She ended up finding a team/org she stayed with until college.

I will say she is a pitcher so she probably had some leverage. Other player types/positions may not have that advantage and might want to take the offer.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions