Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Mandatory Organization Things

What's on your mind?

by notthisagain » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:00 am

What's your preference?
Do you like organizations that have mandatory things? Have to use a Louisville, DeMarini or Easton bat, wear specific Mizuno, New balance cleats. Mandatory Speed Agility and hitting weekly. What about mandatory have to go to Org's fielding clinics or instructors.
This list keeps getting longer.
Some like it, some don't.
Why?
notthisagain

by Chin Music » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 am

Always tried to avoid those organizations that had extra mandatory things. There were a lot less of those back when my kids were in travel. A coach and organization that requires you to pay extra for hitting, pitching, fielding or outfield training with them has been around a long time and has found another way to put money in their pockets. Do these big organizations names help in the recruiting process? sure. Is it necessary? NO.
Went and watched some of my seniors at Champions cup a few months back and a well known coach from my area known for his antics and bullying is screaming at his ss who didn’t get in front of a one hop missile. “That’s not how the _________ field .” No shit mr coach if she had to do it over again she would got in front of it and made the play!
Any coach or organization that thinks the ________ way is the only way to hit, field ........
needs an Ego check. Your way is not the only way!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:13 pm

I am from one such org.......Personally some of the "mandatory" things are rules put forth by me the coach not the org. Its things that will only benefit the player. For instance live hitting is mandatory! The kids have to come every week and take live hitting from myself, Sean Barker, & Jesse Martinez (Chin knows them, all very good male shooters). However, I don't charge extra for the live hitting its included in our dues. The kids have to attend speed & agility 3 days a week mandatory its to make bigger stronger faster athletes, also included in the monthly dues....

I offer pitching & hitting lessons, NOT mandatory to come to me. The kids can go to ANY fielding class they like from any person or any org of their choosing. The one thing beyond the control of the coaches is we do have to use equipment that sponsor's our org. However, truth be told its equipment that most kids are buying anyways and its sold to them at a discounted rate.

Personally I think its some coaches that force their own agenda on the players and say that its an organizational thing....Thats my .02
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by cwcivicgrl » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:20 pm

Agree with curveballerguy, I would buy this equipment anyways so its very beneficial that the organization is sponsored and I can buy it for my daughter at a discounted rate, Speed & Agility, fielding. private hitting I would do it anyways even if it wasn't required, so I personally have not one issue with it.

However I would not agree with telling me where it has to be done except for Speed & Agility it is very common for a specific place to be included in your dues. The organization now has my daughter attend Speed & Agility one day a week with her whole team (great for bonding) and I also pay for my daughter to go to a different Speed & Agility any week day she would like to attend.
cwcivicgrl
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 pm

I liked the orgs that made it mandatory to get good grades.

Curveballguy, are players allowed to miss speed and agility to study? Just curious.....
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:25 am

cwcivicgrl wrote:Agree with curveballerguy, I would buy this equipment anyways so its very beneficial that the organization is sponsored and I can buy it for my daughter at a discounted rate, Speed & Agility, fielding. private hitting I would do it anyways even if it wasn't required, so I personally have not one issue with it.

However I would not agree with telling me where it has to be done except for Speed & Agility it is very common for a specific place to be included in your dues. The organization now has my daughter attend Speed & Agility one day a week with her whole team (great for bonding) and I also pay for my daughter to go to a different Speed & Agility any week day she would like to attend.

"However I would not agree with telling me where it has to be done."

This makes sense. You are 100% in. Want to put in the training. But want to select your own training.
After all shouldn't it be about performance not their pocketbook.

Of course if you already like the equipment that happens to be the sponsor it would make sense you may own that equipment already or seek to purchase it again. But what if they mandatorily wanted you to purchase a Marucci bat. Or had to use a specific glove and did not find one you like within their brand. What about your glove, cleats and bat that already work well, do you stop using them to purchase new equipment unnecessarily. That's just foolishly wasting money.
:? Does that mean the organization's know they are asking you to be foolish with your money. :shock:
notthisagain

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:55 am

@not

If a player comes to us using lets say a Rawlings glove and it works fine and still has life in it.... At that point we tell them when its time to get a new glove and you are still with our org we need you to buy a sponsored glove at that time. Same with the cleats not like those last too long anyway. The only time I get a little strict is with the bat they can still use their old bat for BP, practice & friendlies but no tourny's.... Like I said I think some of the stigma of the big orgs forcing their stuff on players falls on the coaches, I could be wrong but that's just my opinion......
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:04 am

I pulled my kid from an organization because they said that all of the equipment had to be from Mizuno. The gloves were good, the helmet wasnt horrible, the bag sort of fell apart, the shoes were pretty bad but those Nighthawk bats were awful. We dipped the moment the team was eliminated at PGF. The next season they switched to allow the players to use Wilson or Louisville Slugger equipment but still wanted everyone to use the same stuff and still with the Mizuno shoes.
The organizatilm she was with last year was supposed to use Easton equipment but the head coach of her team said their equipment was all junk and only had the girls use their bags and he ordered Schutt helmets, everything else was up to the players discretion.
New organization this year, got fitted for their kits last week, going from Gluv uniforms to Wilson and it looks like they want the girls to use Wilson gloves. She has a few A2000s but likes her Rawlings gloves and has a Marrucci and even a custom 44 glove that she likes.
We will see how it goes.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:46 am

curveballerguy124 wrote:@not

If a player comes to us using lets say a Rawlings glove and it works fine and still has life in it.... At that point we tell them when its time to get a new glove and you are still with our org we need you to buy a sponsored glove at that time. Same with the cleats not like those last too long anyway. The only time I get a little strict is with the bat they can still use their old bat for BP, practice & friendlies but no tourny's.... Like I said I think some of the stigma of the big orgs forcing their stuff on players falls on the coaches, I could be wrong but that's just my opinion......

This makes sense. When your gear wears out and you like the org/team buy into it even further.

Schmick wrote:I pulled my kid from an organization because they said that all of the equipment had to be from Mizuno. The gloves were good, the helmet wasnt horrible, the bag sort of fell apart, the shoes were pretty bad but those Nighthawk bats were awful. We dipped the moment the team was eliminated at PGF. The next season they switched to allow the players to use Wilson or Louisville Slugger equipment but still wanted everyone to use the same stuff and still with the Mizuno shoes.
The organizatilm she was with last year was supposed to use Easton equipment but the head coach of her team said their equipment was all junk and only had the girls use their bags and he ordered Schutt helmets, everything else was up to the players discretion.
New organization this year, got fitted for their kits last week, going from Gluv uniforms to Wilson and it looks like they want the girls to use Wilson gloves. She has a few A2000s but likes her Rawlings gloves and has a Marrucci and even a custom 44 glove that she likes.
We will see how it goes.

Equipment nightmare.
Nighthawk bat?
notthisagain

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:53 pm

I remember the Nighthawk bat, it wasn't bad very durable however, it did not break well or evenly despite all efforts. I think that's why it never became too popular...
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions