Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Why judge using an instructor?

What's on your mind?

by notthisagain » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:44 am

FastpitchPros wrote:
Sbmom2008! wrote:12u. Maybe the latter, The team coach knows about pitching but is not a “pitching coach” and does not have private lessons like her regular pitching coach who charges for them. I just think it’s a good set up if you are a pitcher on a team when the coach knows about it, and is willing to help outside of team practice. I’m sure all the pitchers on the team will improve as a result.

On her old team, they did live pitching to batters during team practice. Haven’t seen much if that in the new team.

I think it’s tough to get girls this age to practice pitching a lot on their own,

@Sbmom2008! - Thanks for sharing your post...

Make sure that your daughter follows the methodology of the mechanics of your actual pitching coach.

As a pitching instructor, I have had too many pitchers that return for their private lessons... and their mechanics start falling apart... because "her team's coach" told them to do it this way... ugh :-(

In regards to helping your daughter to be motivated to practice on her own...

If you want... I can share my Secret Trick that works on my students... and gets them excited to practice at home!

Have a great day eh!

If an athlete has a private instructor then they are working on the process. If they've shown up to a tryout and already have talent and are offered a spot its because talent they brought with them. Nothing worse than a coach wanting to change what already is working, start confusing the athlete. Do coaches have respect for instructors? Especially when so many coaches have a few clients of their own on the side. Probably quite a few families have run into that conflict. Saying it again, should be about performance. Not one coaches preference.
notthisagain

by Backnine » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:20 pm

If you are spending your money on private pitching lessons, you should inform HC and ask him not to coach her on mechanics of pitching. Maybe have PC speak with HC so they are on the same page. Same goes for hitting, too. Had coach
at a recent tryout telling hitters to hit down and threw the ball. Demonstrating a very descending swing plane. Told DD just nod and act like you are listening. We didn't join that team. Unfortunately there are girls getting very poor instruction. Parents need to educate themselves and make sure their daughter is receiving proper instruction. Enough free info out there on google. Antonelli, Justin Stone, Softball Rebellion, Hitting Vault ect.
Nothing worse than paying for lessons or TB that are detrimental to your daughters development.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Listen a good HC will leave the batter or pitcher alone if they know that they have outside instruction. I pitch to my girls live and I give them feed back as much as possible but thats it..... I don't change what they are doing I just tell them what to tell their hitting instructors about what I saw. Same goes for pitchers if I see something wrong I will tell them how to fix it (if they have good mechanics to begin with) or I will tell their parents what I see. So that they may tell there instructor what I observed.

Nothing worse then a coach who is all talk and cuts down other instructors private or otherwise. If your HC cannot demo what he teaches then chances are he or she doesn't know what they are doing to begin with. Thats my .02
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FastpitchPros » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:24 am

curveballerguy124 wrote:Listen a good HC will leave the batter or pitcher alone if they know that they have outside instruction. I pitch to my girls live and I give them feed back as much as possible but thats it..... I don't change what they are doing I just tell them what to tell their hitting instructors about what I saw. Same goes for pitchers if I see something wrong I will tell them how to fix it (if they have good mechanics to begin with) or I will tell their parents what I see. So that they may tell there instructor what I observed.

Nothing worse then a coach who is all talk and cuts down other instructors private or otherwise. If your HC cannot demo what he teaches then chances are he or she doesn't know what they are doing to begin with. Thats my .02

@curveballerguy124 Thanks you for your awesome response... I wish all Head Coaches (and parents) were like you :-)

Our local HS coach has all the "elite club players" run the practice and drills because she has no clue and could not demo anything... yet... she knows everything... just ask her :|

Unfortunately, some HS and Club coaches are so arrogant, egotistical, and controlling...

After last season... I am at least going to attempt to reach to each of my student's head coaches before the season and hopefully get them on the "right page" and help them and/their catchers to make better pitch selections...

(i.e. Not 100 fastballs... 1 change up - and 1 drop ball per game) ugh :|

If the pitcher has the "right stuff", then the catcher should NEVER call a fastball... every pitch... needs to move and change speeds. (

Coaches/Catchers... please do not EVER call an inside change-up (never) :shock: :?
Experienced advice is FREE to those that listen... Others will pay for it later"
FastpitchPros
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Location Location Location
Down and in works
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FastpitchPros » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Spazsdad wrote:"Coaches/Catchers... please do not EVER call an inside change-up (never)"

And why would this be so?

Hey Spazsdad, thanks for the question.

When "most batters" swing at a change-up, they are "out in front of the pitch"... because the ball is "slower" and their swing is timed for a fastball/drop ball/riseball.

So if the ball is thrown to the inside... since the slower ball is on the inside of the plate... the batter has more time to still make contact... to hit the ball fair... down the baseline.

If a change-up is thrown on the outer half of the plater, the batter is "in front" of the pitch... and will usually either miss or hit it off the end of the bat... due to the angle of the bat to the outside ball location on a change-up.

P.S. If you still think it is OK to throw an inside change-up... that's OK... everyone can have a different opinion...

My recommendation is based on years of coaching youth fastpitch... and as a pitching and hitting instructor.

So... if you want... Just keep throwing that inside change-up... until you lose a game... because of a base hit... that goes right down the baseline :o

Then you can remember the recommendation provided in this post :lol:

Have a great day eh !!!
Experienced advice is FREE to those that listen... Others will pay for it later"
FastpitchPros
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FastpitchPros » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Chin Music wrote:Location Location Location
Down and in works

YES - "Low and inside" should be apart of every pitcher's "speed and movement" pitch mix.

Not so much on a change-up... as noted in the previous post.

However, the best set-up pitch... is your username: Chin Music

My students laugh when we talk about chin music (throwing the inside riseball)

As a former baseball pitcher... I loved throwing "chin music :D
FastpitchPros
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SDTitans » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:58 pm

FastpitchPros wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:"Coaches/Catchers... please do not EVER call an inside change-up (never)"

And why would this be so?

If a change-up is thrown on the outer half of the plater, the batter is "in front" of the pitch... and will usually either miss or hit it off the end of the bat... due to the angle of the bat to the outside ball location on a change-up.

Have a great day eh !!!

Or the batter recognizes its a change up and waits on it and hits it to right center gap for a base clearing triple and wins the ball game..
SDTitans
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FastpitchPros » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Or the batter recognizes its a change up and waits on it and hits it to right center gap for a base clearing triple and wins the ball game..[/quote]

Thanks, SDTitan for the clarification :shock: ... Yes... I forgot to add this to my earlier post...

"If the batter does not recognize the pitch as a change-up... then... " :lol: :lol: :lol:
FastpitchPros
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:36 pm

FastpitchPros wrote:
Schmick wrote:I don't believe there are many pitchers out there playing at a high level of travel ball that don't have a paid instructor...unless their parent is a paid instructor

Schmick, thanks for your post... As an independent pitching instructor, I agree with you 100%!

If you want your daughter to make it to the next level... then do your homework and find a great private lesson instructor.

Ummmm, of course you agree.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions