Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Why judge using an instructor?

What's on your mind?

by notthisagain » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 am

Why do people scoff at wanting to use an instructor? Don't think all instructors are a rip-off. Is that just a generalization?
notthisagain

by Chin Music » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Who’s scoffing? Find a good one.
If an organization is forcing u to go to them for hitting for more $$ then I have a problem with it. If a kid is one of the better hitters in a particular organization and then is forced to go to their instructors is just plain greedy and might not have that kids best interest in mind.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Agreed with the just because your kid or kids were good hitters or pitchers aspect. Its about progress, building confidence and success in the box and in the circle, plain and simple.
Last edited by Chin Music on Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sbmom2008! » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:43 pm

My daughters pitching coach has been coaching for many years. He coached 3 daughters, one pitched in college. He’s also coached high school, travel teams, and has a full roster of pitchers who play on dozens of travel teams. Many end up pitching in college.

Her head coach also has a daughter pitching in college. He works with my daughter on pitching as well. I assume that time is included in the reg fee because he doesn’t charge me for it. Seems like this combo is improving her skills.
Sbmom2008!
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:35 am

I don't believe there are many pitchers out there playing at a high level of travel ball that don't have a paid instructor...unless their parent is a paid instructor
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:00 am

Sbmom2008! wrote:My daughters pitching coach has been coaching for many years. He coached 3 daughters, one pitched in college. He’s also coached high school, travel teams, and has a full roster of pitchers who play on dozens of travel teams. Many end up pitching in college.

Her head coach also has a daughter pitching in college. He works with my daughter on pitching as well. I assume that time is included in the reg fee because he doesn’t charge me for it. Seems like this combo is improving her skills.

Well this is unique or is it?
What age?
Looks like the travel ball coach is a paid pitching instructor and has clients who pay for lessons. But because you play on his team he does not charge you extra.
Or maybe it's wrapped up in your monthly dues. Is this a situation where you stay on that team because your lessons are free?
Are those lessons setup weekly separate from your team practices?
Or the coach spends time coaching all of the pitchers at practice and your daughter is included?If you leave this team do you still go to that person for lessons and pay them? Does that work out for more pitching time for your daughter?
notthisagain

by notthisagain » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:10 am

notthisagain wrote:
Sbmom2008! wrote:My daughters pitching coach has been coaching for many years. He coached 3 daughters, one pitched in college. He’s also coached high school, travel teams, and has a full roster of pitchers who play on dozens of travel teams. Many end up pitching in college.

Well this is unique or is it?
What age?
Looks like the travel ball coach is a paid pitching instructor and has clients who pay for lessons. But because you play on his team he does not charge you extra.
Or maybe it's wrapped up in your monthly dues. Is this a situation where you stay on that team because your lessons are free?
Are those lessons setup weekly separate from your team practices?
Or the coach spends time coaching all of the pitchers at practice and your daughter is included?If you leave this team do you still go to that person for lessons and pay them? Does that work out for more pitching time for your daughter?

Bringing this up because it sounds like the same scenario with any coach, with hitting, who work with their players on their travel ball team or at least the ones who don't have their own instructors. Only in this case your coach knows something about pitching.
notthisagain

by Sbmom2008! » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:25 pm

12u. Maybe the latter, The team coach knows about pitching but is not a “pitching coach” and does not have private lessons like her regular pitching coach who charges for them. I just think it’s a good set up if you are a pitcher on a team when the coach knows about it, and is willing to help outside of team practice. I’m sure all the pitchers on the team will improve as a result.

On her old team, they did live pitching to batters during team practice. Haven’t seen much if that in the new team.

I think it’s tough to get girls this age to practice pitching a lot on their own,
Sbmom2008!
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FastpitchPros » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Schmick wrote:I don't believe there are many pitchers out there playing at a high level of travel ball that don't have a paid instructor...unless their parent is a paid instructor

Schmick, thanks for your post... As an independent pitching instructor, I agree with you 100%!

If you want your daughter to make it to the next level... then do your homework and find a great private lesson instructor.
Experienced advice is FREE to those that listen... Others will pay for it later"
FastpitchPros
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FastpitchPros » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:45 pm

Sbmom2008! wrote:12u. Maybe the latter, The team coach knows about pitching but is not a “pitching coach” and does not have private lessons like her regular pitching coach who charges for them. I just think it’s a good set up if you are a pitcher on a team when the coach knows about it, and is willing to help outside of team practice. I’m sure all the pitchers on the team will improve as a result.

On her old team, they did live pitching to batters during team practice. Haven’t seen much if that in the new team.

I think it’s tough to get girls this age to practice pitching a lot on their own,

@Sbmom2008! - Thanks for sharing your post...

Make sure that your daughter follows the methodology of the mechanics of your actual pitching coach.

As a pitching instructor, I have had too many pitchers that return for their private lessons... and their mechanics start falling apart... because "her team's coach" told them to do it this way... ugh :-(

In regards to helping your daughter to be motivated to practice on her own...

If you want... I can share my Secret Trick that works on my students... and gets them excited to practice at home!

Have a great day eh!
Experienced advice is FREE to those that listen... Others will pay for it later"
FastpitchPros
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions