Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Playing time

What's on your mind?

by notthisagain » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:32 am

SDTitans wrote:players should fight for playing time in friendlies and during a tournaments, giving them playing time they didn't earn during practice for a friendly, because it is a friendly, just sets the parents up and players up for disappointment when their playtime is very limited on tournament weekend. Want to play more, do more at practice, earn it there.

Fight with who for playing time?
Are you saying they shouldn't get a chance in friendly's if they weren't good enough at practice?
How would you dish out the playing time on your roster?
notthisagain

by notthisagain » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:38 am

notthisagain wrote:
SDTitans wrote:players should fight for playing time in friendlies and during a tournaments, giving them playing time they didn't earn during practice for a friendly, because it is a friendly, just sets the parents up and players up for disappointment when their playtime is very limited on tournament weekend. Want to play more, do more at practice, earn it there.

Fight with who for playing time?
Are you saying they shouldn't get a chance in friendly's if they weren't good enough at practice?
How would you dish out the playing time on your roster?

:lol: After re-reading that why the heck would they even be on the team if they suck at practice. Sounds like a bad coach. Cant pick right players and cant develope the players picked. :lol: cant even play all roster in friendlies.
notthisagain

by xyzdude » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:20 am

Comments are leading to the question, "what are the team goals and how does my kid fit into them". Acceptable playing time percentage may change based on what kind of team and what the player is trying to accomplish. For example, if recruitment is the goal, it may be better to accept less playing time on a higher profile team. I don't think there is any easy answer to this other than you need to try and find what works for your daughter. Jonriv's daughter clearly found a situation that worked well for her, however that may not have worked for every player depending on their college goals, etc. I believe that at the younger age groups for sure, player development and learning should be the primary goals and winning tournaments secondary. But again, context is important -- players need to be taught to win and that winning is more fun than not winning. You have to do your development while giving the team the best chance to win and helping each player progress individually. This is not easy - but can be done by developing a strong team culture that coaches and parents support. Playing to win does not always mean putting in the so-called best players at their best position.

But if it is coming down to an acceptable playing time, it would be hard for me to think that any player is well served by playing only one third of the time.
xyzdude

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:45 pm

From my perspective its easy, earn your playing time!!! It starts at practice the moment they come out onto the field, their attitude their enthusiasm, everything I'm always paying attention. See the beauty of coaching a team that you don't have a kid on is it allows you to watch all of the players from a non-biased point of view.

So it begins at practice, who is half assing-it who is getting at it like it means something. To me there's a difference between getting reps and getting better so the kids I see going through the motions don't impress me. The kids who are trying to improve those are the ones that catch my attention, the one's not afraid of making a mistakes. The ones willing to get dirty, and they don't need to be the best player on the team because if I see them trying I'm gonna give them a shot....

Parents complain about playing time but as a coach I want to see my girls play not sitting. I want to see them make a play, hit a dinger, strike a girl out, throw a girl out, I want to see my kids improve at the plate, improve on the field, get more confidence but it all starts at practice......My view is this, if she won't try and make the play when it doesn't count how is she going to make the play when it does?

Parents complain about playing time but watch your kid at practice, is she going hard or just going through the motions. Is she trying to make the plays, is she trying to improve, does she have the right attitude or is she hanging her shoulders. Try taking off the parent goggles and look at her during practice and ask yourself if that wasn't my kid would she impress me enough to play her? I once had a parent tell me she doesn't go hard at practice because she knows your not gonna put her on the field during a game, SMH..... Don't be "that parent" encourage your kid to go hard get dirty make the "play" during practice it will go a loooong way with earning play time....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:56 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:From my perspective its easy, earn your playing time!!! It starts at practice the moment they come out onto the field, their attitude their enthusiasm, everything I'm always paying attention. See the beauty of coaching a team that you don't have a kid on is it allows you to watch all of the players from a non-biased point of view.

So it begins at practice, who is half assing-it who is getting at it like it means something. To me there's a difference between getting reps and getting better so the kids I see going through the motions don't impress me. The kids who are trying to improve those are the ones that catch my attention, the one's not afraid of making a mistakes. The ones willing to get dirty, and they don't need to be the best player on the team because if I see them trying I'm gonna give them a shot....

Parents complain about playing time but as a coach I want to see my girls play not sitting. I want to see them make a play, hit a dinger, strike a girl out, throw a girl out, I want to see my kids improve at the plate, improve on the field, get more confidence but it all starts at practice......My view is this, if she won't try and make the play when it doesn't count how is she going to make the play when it does?

Parents complain about playing time but watch your kid at practice, is she going hard or just going through the motions. Is she trying to make the plays, is she trying to improve, does she have the right attitude or is she hanging her shoulders. Try taking off the parent goggles and look at her during practice and ask yourself if that wasn't my kid would she impress me enough to play her? I once had a parent tell me she doesn't go hard at practice because she knows your not gonna put her on the field during a game, SMH..... Don't be "that parent" encourage your kid to go hard get dirty make the "play" during practice it will go a loooong way with earning play time....

Why do you have players on your team who are half assing it?
notthisagain

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:19 pm

notthisagain wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:From my perspective its easy, earn your playing time!!! It starts at practice the moment they come out onto the field, their attitude their enthusiasm, everything I'm always paying attention. See the beauty of coaching a team that you don't have a kid on is it allows you to watch all of the players from a non-biased point of view.

Because who is gonna keep the bench warm?!?!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:31 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:
notthisagain wrote:

Okay, with half an ass they won't take up much room.
notthisagain

by notthisagain » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:39 pm

Why would any coach carry players they themselves won't want to play on the field. :shock: Thats where the problem starts. What the heck! How long are you keeping those half-assed players on your team? Why is the coach not setting a standard and telling the family step up or step off. Give it a time limit and get rid of it.

Upper level softball they still need to showcase. If you have a coach that doesn't even want to play all their roster during friendlies. :roll:
notthisagain

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:15 pm

notthisagain wrote:Why would any coach carry players they themselves won't want to play on the field. :shock: Thats where the problem starts. What the heck! How long are you keeping those half-assed players on your team? Why is the coach not setting a standard and telling the family step up or step off. Give it a time limit and get rid of it.

Upper level softball they still need to showcase. If you have a coach that doesn't even want to play all their roster during friendlies. :roll:

I'M KIDDING!!!! I have for the MOST part kids that give an effort so I'm fortunate. However, there are those days that they get a case of the softball blues and look a little aloof, but what player doesn't at times?? The truth is I'm loyal to my players I commit to them for the whole year not just the fall or spring season.... I give my effort and time to help improve them if after a year they show no improvement and earn no playing time then we part ways. I offer my time to my girls to work with them whether its fielding, throwing, hitting, whatever its free but they have to come to me and set up a time with me......
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Spazsdad wrote:

Good take and it’s the same at the next level. You make the team in fall practice. Not during conference games.
Those that don’t get that are the ones jumping teams and transferring.
Parents that complain about opportunities seem to ignore one basic fact. Not many coaches out there that don’t play a kid that will help the team win. Stop taking it personally and making excuses and work to be better

curveballerguy124 wrote:
notthisagain wrote:

Not sure why spazdad mixed that up.

Notthisagain asking again,
Why do you coach curveballerguy have players who are half-assing it on your roster? Ignore a really good point if you want but it's reflecting on your coaching.
notthisagain

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions