Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Playing time

What's on your mind?

by Defty » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 am

Sam wrote:
. My daughter just went threw this in 12u. Her fielding is a little behind. But she is right there with the bat. But the coach would only give her like 1 AB in a 3 game friendly. So i said something and he cut my kid from the team. It crushed her because she has been putting in so much extra work to catch up. She has never worked for anything like that until now. I just dont understand the coaching behind that. I coached her in rec ball for 2 years. Never treated a kid like that.

So you tell CBG that your kid doesn’t have trouble with PT after you already posted that she didn’t......so what is it? LMAO

Sad foolish little Sam the illiterate internet troll. That quote was a post from poorsport88. You are as inept at reading as you are at conveying intelligent thought.

And though I don't doubt that you have very little class and would actually walk up to someone and tell them that there "Princess should be on a team that is better suited for her skillset" I am most certain I am not the guy you would feel comfortable speaking to that way in person. But if you want to tell yourself that to be able to sleep at night you go ahead.

And you can spin it however you want, but you are a toxic human and you have failed to learn the lessons of yesteryear. You are exactly the person I am talking about when I say being old or around for a long time is not what makes someones thoughts or opinions outdated, its that you are just an older version of your naive self. You have failed to learn the lessons that you have subject yourself, and worse yet, your family to.

It's not Sage advice that you are offering, because as time has shown, you are not competent enough, nor do you have the pedigree to be offering anyone sage advice.

And btw, I assume when you say "people like me" you are referring to people that have opinions that oppose yours. The reason "people like me" come and go is because you and the other Heybucket moles pop your heads up at the same time and try to run off anyone that disagrees with you. Unfortunately for you, you have me all wrong. I don't think you should continue to take pride in continuing to ruin the discussion boards on Heybucket. But I also don't think its part of your character to care about that.

Maybe... just maybe, its time for you to go now Sam. You have done your damage and served for a very long time as an example of how not to carry yourself. I think its time to stop playing fantasy softball and move on to shuffleboard.

I think we can move back to talking about softball constructively. People's opinions will always differ. If you push hard then people will push hard back. If you present your point respectively then it should be well received even if people disagree with you.

I am getting tired of handing out these L's and would prefer to get back to debating the aspects of the sport itself. But it you nerds want to keep coming at me then I have the fortitude and intellect to keep tossing you back in the swamp where you belong.
Last edited by Defty on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:32 am

Spazsdad wrote:You got issues mom. Maybe time for a
Midol.
You can carry on at your leisure

You don't see the issue with making PMS jokes on a fastpitch softball forum? You don't see how that shows how little respect you have for women/girls? Why the hell are you part of this sport?
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Defty wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:Hold on there Defty...... I'm not that old, and I agree with the above mentioned wagon wheelers and the circling parties, for the most part at least. Yes my daughter is off playing college ball, yes I'm still coaching, and no my ways aren't old contrary to your beliefs nor are theirs. As a matter of fact Chin is one of the "old timers" on here and I guarantee you the level of play he has seen and played at, your kid would be lucky to learn from him.

Now, considering I still play men's fastpitch a game that at its lowest level is still faster and more aggressive then the woman's game. I wouldn't exactly say or agree with you that my or their methods of coaching are outdated, maybe you just don't understand them because you never played the game or maybe you have IDK. What I will say is there are aspects of the men's FP game that are barely getting to and being used in woman's FP.

I get that your comments were meant as an insult and dig at them. However, some of them old timers actually played the same game your daughter is currently playing long before she was even a thought in your mind. See, the thing about it is they and I grew up in an era when there were no participation medals and everything you accomplished in sports were earned. Also mommy and daddy didn't come to the rescue when it all seemed unfair and believe me sport politics have ALWAYS been around. ....

I read your 5 points I get where you are coming from but just because you don't agree with some of the thought process of the coaches doesn't make them wrong or you right for that matter. I am guessing that you never played organized sports based on your comments. I'm not trying to take a dig at you by any stretch of the imagination its just because you sound like a parent that has never played ball for any coach. If I'm wrong I apologize!

I guess I'm just trying to tell you that not every coach is an old neanderthal asshole or who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and not every kid in travel ball should play because mommy and daddy see them trying hard. Its not what mom and dad see its what the coaches see. If you don't like where your kid is at and if they are not being pushed to be better then move that's your prerogative. Find a squad thats coached by someone who is more inline with your thought process. Thats the beauty of travel ball!!! However, I will leave you with this, the best coach that I ever played for pushed me hard and taught me to play the game with heart and determination and to never quit even when I wasn't getting playing time!!! It wasn't until I was an adult that I actually thanked my Dad for that.

Here is another list to clear things up, specifically because I believe you either misunderstand or are intentionally misrepresenting what I have said:

1) Being old or having been around a long time isn't what makes someones thoughts or opinions outdated, its the fact that some thoughts and opinions are outdated and that particular person fails to see it. Being old or around for a long time should mean that you have gained more wisdom than people who haven't been around as long. Often time arrogance gets in the way of the learning process and then that person/coach/parent is just an older version of their naive younger self.
2) Coaches should keep up with the times and stop just teaching things because that is how it has always been done
3) Almost all coaches "push kids"... Good coaches push them in the right direction and bad coaches push them away from the sport.
4) Being the coach of a team does not make someone capable of coaching. Being capable is what makes them capable.
5) Having knowledge of the sport isn't all that it takes to be a great coach. Without the ability to convey that information to the players and pull their best self out of them you are just another sports enthusiast that is wasting everyone's time.
6) My daughter does not have trouble getting playing time and never has. My opinions were not formed because my kid doesn't play. I believe what I believe because I pay attention and I don't take everything at face value. I care about this sport because it is important to my daughter, and I believe that every girl playing deserves the opportunity to either fall in love with it or realize it isn't for them without the interference of coach that is trying to finally experience success in life vicariously through our daughters.
7) "Mommy and Daddy" are the reason that each girl is out there. They are the same people you turn to when its time for fundraising because you can't do it without them. They pay for and sit through every weekly/daily lesson that their kid needs, and without that you wouldn't have competitive players on your roster. Is it your opinion that parents should be fully financially and emotionally invested but not have an opinion when they see something wrong or unfair?
8) It is very possible that Chin Music is great at what he does. To my knowledge I have never disagreed with anything he has posted. In fact I have specifically agreed with what he said several times, though I didn't post a response because when someone says something intelligent or correct it doesn't necessarily call for a response. It kinda feels like you are trying to bait him into the discussion.
9) You are right, politics have been around forever. That means you and everyone else that decides to coach should know what you signed up for. Do the job as expected or you will hear about it. Just as you expect the players to deal with not playing because they are not doing their job. That will never change, as time has already shown.

I like 3, and 4...... Very well said!!! Now lets address #7 first off mom and pop are not the only one's invested. I have on more occasions then I care to mention donated my time and efforts outside of normal practices to work with kids for free! Only to have these very same parents not show up to the free practices because of whatever excuse and yet expect there kids to play. Just because they made it to 1 of 3 of the free practices they might see improvement so they question why their DD is not playing...... There are "those" parents and then there are the ones that you speak about. I'm ok with the invested parents that ask questions or approach me about playing time, intelligently. I like the ones that talk to me about what little Suzy is working on and ask what she needs to improve on. If your "that" parent then kudos to you but "that" parent is few and far between.

As for #8 I just used Chin as an example of an old-timer that has been around and doing it correctly for a long time! He is very old school but like I said he played Men's fastpitch at a pretty high level....

#9 As a coach trust me I know what I have signed up for. However, more often then not I question why the hell I'm doing it, why am I giving up my weekends and sleeping in. Why worry about someones else's kid developing or making it to college playing ball. After all my kid made it on a full ride to a D1 school I've done my job I don't have shit to prove!!!! Then I remind myself that I have been there and back and learned a few things along the way that might help a kid or a family. Things that I want to pass on to players and parents alike, the game has been good to me and my family so it makes me want to give back and pay it forward. Unfortunately there are those that don't respect the process and feel like their kid is the only kid on the team. That is part of the story on every squad and I understand that but that is what takes the fun out of teaching/coaching.
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:17 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:
Defty wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:Hold on there Defty...... I'm not that old, and I agree with the above mentioned wagon wheelers and the circling parties, for the most part at least. Yes my daughter is off playing college ball, yes I'm still coaching, and no my ways aren't old contrary to your beliefs nor are theirs. As a matter of fact Chin is one of the "old timers" on here and I guarantee you the level of play he has seen and played at, your kid would be lucky to learn from him.

Now, considering I still play men's fastpitch a game that at its lowest level is still faster and more aggressive then the woman's game. I wouldn't exactly say or agree with you that my or their methods of coaching are outdated, maybe you just don't understand them because you never played the game or maybe you have IDK. What I will say is there are aspects of the men's FP game that are barely getting to and being used in woman's FP.

I get that your comments were meant as an insult and dig at them. However, some of them old timers actually played the same game your daughter is currently playing long before she was even a thought in your mind. See, the thing about it is they and I grew up in an era when there were no participation medals and everything you accomplished in sports were earned. Also mommy and daddy didn't come to the rescue when it all seemed unfair and believe me sport politics have ALWAYS been around. ....

I read your 5 points I get where you are coming from but just because you don't agree with some of the thought process of the coaches doesn't make them wrong or you right for that matter. I am guessing that you never played organized sports based on your comments. I'm not trying to take a dig at you by any stretch of the imagination its just because you sound like a parent that has never played ball for any coach. If I'm wrong I apologize!

I guess I'm just trying to tell you that not every coach is an old neanderthal asshole or who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and not every kid in travel ball should play because mommy and daddy see them trying hard. Its not what mom and dad see its what the coaches see. If you don't like where your kid is at and if they are not being pushed to be better then move that's your prerogative. Find a squad thats coached by someone who is more inline with your thought process. Thats the beauty of travel ball!!! However, I will leave you with this, the best coach that I ever played for pushed me hard and taught me to play the game with heart and determination and to never quit even when I wasn't getting playing time!!! It wasn't until I was an adult that I actually thanked my Dad for that.

Here is another list to clear things up, specifically because I believe you either misunderstand or are intentionally misrepresenting what I have said:

1) Being old or having been around a long time isn't what makes someones thoughts or opinions outdated, its the fact that some thoughts and opinions are outdated and that particular person fails to see it. Being old or around for a long time should mean that you have gained more wisdom than people who haven't been around as long. Often time arrogance gets in the way of the learning process and then that person/coach/parent is just an older version of their naive younger self.
2) Coaches should keep up with the times and stop just teaching things because that is how it has always been done
3) Almost all coaches "push kids"... Good coaches push them in the right direction and bad coaches push them away from the sport.
4) Being the coach of a team does not make someone capable of coaching. Being capable is what makes them capable.
5) Having knowledge of the sport isn't all that it takes to be a great coach. Without the ability to convey that information to the players and pull their best self out of them you are just another sports enthusiast that is wasting everyone's time.
6) My daughter does not have trouble getting playing time and never has. My opinions were not formed because my kid doesn't play. I believe what I believe because I pay attention and I don't take everything at face value. I care about this sport because it is important to my daughter, and I believe that every girl playing deserves the opportunity to either fall in love with it or realize it isn't for them without the interference of coach that is trying to finally experience success in life vicariously through our daughters.
7) "Mommy and Daddy" are the reason that each girl is out there. They are the same people you turn to when its time for fundraising because you can't do it without them. They pay for and sit through every weekly/daily lesson that their kid needs, and without that you wouldn't have competitive players on your roster. Is it your opinion that parents should be fully financially and emotionally invested but not have an opinion when they see something wrong or unfair?
8) It is very possible that Chin Music is great at what he does. To my knowledge I have never disagreed with anything he has posted. In fact I have specifically agreed with what he said several times, though I didn't post a response because when someone says something intelligent or correct it doesn't necessarily call for a response. It kinda feels like you are trying to bait him into the discussion.
9) You are right, politics have been around forever. That means you and everyone else that decides to coach should know what you signed up for. Do the job as expected or you will hear about it. Just as you expect the players to deal with not playing because they are not doing their job. That will never change, as time has already shown.

I like 3, and 4...... Very well said!!! Now lets address #7 first off mom and pop are not the only one's invested. I have on more occasions then I care to mention donated my time and efforts outside of normal practices to work with kids for free! Only to have these very same parents not show up to the free practices because of whatever excuse and yet expect there kids to play. Just because they made it to 1 of 3 of the free practices they might see improvement so they question why their DD is not playing...... There are "those" parents and then there are the ones that you speak about. I'm ok with the invested parents that ask questions or approach me about playing time, intelligently. I like the ones that talk to me about what little Suzy is working on and ask what she needs to improve on. If your "that" parent then kudos to you but "that" parent is few and far between.

As for #8 I just used Chin as an example of an old-timer that has been around and doing it correctly for a long time! He is very old school but like I said he played Men's fastpitch at a pretty high level....

#9 As a coach trust me I know what I have signed up for. However, more often then not I question why the hell I'm doing it, why am I giving up my weekends and sleeping in. Why worry about someones else's kid developing or making it to college playing ball. After all my kid made it on a full ride to a D1 school I've done my job I don't have shit to prove!!!! Then I remind myself that I have been there and back and learned a few things along the way that might help a kid or a family. Things that I want to pass on to players and parents alike, the game has been good to me and my family so it makes me want to give back and pay it forward. Unfortunately there are those that don't respect the process and feel like their kid is the only kid on the team. That is part of the story on every squad and I understand that but that is what takes the fun out of teaching/coaching.

For what its worth I don't believe that you and I are really disagreeing on anything unless you thing that Sam, Battle or Spazsdad care about anyone other than themselves. I definitely don't believe that parents are the only one's invested. I believe everyone is, even the siblings that are dragged to every practice, lesson and game. Everyone has a role to play and everyone should be trying their best to get it right. Its not as simple as "all parents are idiots" or "all coaches are egomaniacs". There are tons of coaches and parents getting it right and thousands of players that have success because of, or in spite of their parents, coaches, teammates, etc. Every situation is unique. There is not one set of answers that will satisfy every situation.

Though I am curious as to why you feel that you "don't have shit to prove" as a coach because your daughter made it to a D1 school on a full ride. I can rip off several names of coaches who's daughter are currently playing D1 or have played D1 and they are absolute garbage as coaches. We are not why they have success, we are only their to support them along the way. Their success is theirs and their's alone. It is our job to sit back and be proud of what THEY have accomplished, not take credit for it. Maybe I misunderstood.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:35 pm

Defty wrote:
Midol.

You don't see the issue with making PMS jokes on a fastpitch softball forum? You don't see how that shows how little respect you have for women/girls? Why the hell are you part of this sport?

Why is premenstrual syndrome called PMS?

Because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

What’s the difference between a woman with PMS and a terrorist?

You can negotiate with a terrorist.

PMS jokes are not funny.

Period.

Middle seat in a flight is like PMS

No one wants it and no one likes it when they get it

Why does it take 5 women with PMS to change a light bulb?

BECAUSE IT JUST DOES OK!!!

It's known as PMS.

I call it ovary-acting.

There is no reason to make fun of PMS.

Period.

In honour of International Women's Day, I'd like to point out to everyone that PMS jokes are not funny.

Period.

Who called it PMS-ing and not

Ovary-acting.
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:
Defty wrote:
Midol.

Why is premenstrual syndrome called PMS?

Because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

What’s the difference between a woman with PMS and a terrorist?

You can negotiate with a terrorist.

PMS jokes are not funny.

Period.

Middle seat in a flight is like PMS

No one wants it and no one likes it when they get it

Why does it take 5 women with PMS to change a light bulb?

BECAUSE IT JUST DOES OK!!!

It's known as PMS.

I call it ovary-acting.

There is no reason to make fun of PMS.

Period.

In honour of International Women's Day, I'd like to point out to everyone that PMS jokes are not funny.

Period.

Who called it PMS-ing and not

Ovary-acting.

Rack the PMS jokes and if I have to carry plugs and pads in my backpack to games and practices, then I get to laugh at the PMS jokes.
Lighten up
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Defty wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:
Defty wrote:

For what its worth I don't believe that you and I are really disagreeing on anything unless you thing that Sam, Battle or Spazsdad care about anyone other than themselves. I definitely don't believe that parents are the only one's invested. I believe everyone is, even the siblings that are dragged to every practice, lesson and game. Everyone has a role to play and everyone should be trying their best to get it right. Its not as simple as "all parents are idiots" or "all coaches are egomaniacs". There are tons of coaches and parents getting it right and thousands of players that have success because of, or in spite of their parents, coaches, teammates, etc. Every situation is unique. There is not one set of answers that will satisfy every situation.

Though I am curious as to why you feel that you "don't have shit to prove" as a coach because your daughter made it to a D1 school on a full ride. I can rip off several names of coaches who's daughter are currently playing D1 or have played D1 and they are absolute garbage as coaches. We are not why they have success, we are only their to support them along the way. Their success is theirs and their's alone. It is our job to sit back and be proud of what THEY have accomplished, not take credit for it. Maybe I misunderstood.

INRAT

FFS, is there a Cliffs Notes version of all this?
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Schmick wrote:
Defty wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:
Defty wrote:

INRAT

FFS, is there a Cliffs Notes version of all this?

Maybe this??

If you are a parent and you need advice please see below:

Today's travel ball: Defty

Yesterday's travel ball: Battle, Spaz and Sam

All travel ball: curveballerguy124

Useless comments: eclipse09
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:25 pm

Probably not necessary to say, but point proven. Parents, you should know who your coach really is. Don't rely on them to do the right thing. As exampled by these members of the lonely Geritol club, they believe that the sport is about them.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 pm

Defty wrote:
Sam wrote:
. My daughter just went threw this in 12u. Her fielding is a little behind. But she is right there with the bat. But the coach would only give her like 1 AB in a 3 game friendly. So i said something and he cut my kid from the team. It crushed her because she has been putting in so much extra work to catch up. She has never worked for anything like that until now. I just dont understand the coaching behind that. I coached her in rec ball for 2 years. Never treated a kid like that.

So you tell CBG that your kid doesn’t have trouble with PT after you already posted that she didn’t......so what is it? LMAO

Sad foolish little Sam the illiterate internet troll. That quote was a post from poorsport88. You are as inept at reading as you are at conveying intelligent thought.

And though I don't doubt that you have very little class and would actually walk up to someone and tell them that there "Princess should be on a team that is better suited for her skillset" I am most certain I am not the guy you would feel comfortable speaking to that way in person. But if you want to tell yourself that to be able to sleep at night you go ahead.

And you can spin it however you want, but you are a toxic human and you have failed to learn the lessons of yesteryear. You are exactly the person I am talking about when I say being old or around for a long time is not what makes someones thoughts or opinions outdated, its that you are just an older version of your naive self. You have failed to learn the lessons that you have subject yourself, and worse yet, your family to.

It's not Sage advice that you are offering, because as time has shown, you are not competent enough, nor do you have the pedigree to be offering anyone sage advice.

And btw, I assume when you say "people like me" you are referring to people that have opinions that oppose yours. The reason "people like me" come and go is because you and the other Heybucket moles pop your heads up at the same time and try to run off anyone that disagrees with you. Unfortunately for you, you have me all wrong. I don't think you should continue to take pride in continuing to ruin the discussion boards on Heybucket. But I also don't think its part of your character to care about that.

Maybe... just maybe, its time for you to go now Sam. You have done your damage and served for a very long time as an example of how not to carry yourself. I think its time to stop playing fantasy softball and move on to shuffleboard.

I think we can move back to talking about softball constructively. People's opinions will always differ. If you push hard then people will push hard back. If you present your point respectively then it should be well received even if people disagree with you.

I am getting tired of handing out these L's and would prefer to get back to debating the aspects of the sport itself. But it you nerds want to keep coming at me then I have the fortitude and intellect to keep tossing you back in the swamp where you belong.

:lol: You are a crackup.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions