Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Playing time

What's on your mind?

by stonehurler » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:03 pm

I read enough of this to finally form an opinion. If you are complaining about playing time, work harder and make the coach play you. Be better than the competition. If you choose to move to a new team because the coach doesn't play you, then you are in the grass is greener group and it never is. Tired of parents thinking their kid should play more so they move to a new team. Make your kid work to get on the field. These coaches want to win and they put the best on the field. Earn it!
stonehurler
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:48 am

stonehurler wrote:I read enough of this to finally form an opinion. If you are complaining about playing time, work harder and make the coach play you. Be better than the competition. If you choose to move to a new team because the coach doesn't play you, then you are in the grass is greener group and it never is. Tired of parents thinking their kid should play more so they move to a new team. Make your kid work to get on the field. These coaches want to win and they put the best on the field. Earn it!

Amen!!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:07 pm

stonehurler wrote:I read enough of this to finally form an opinion. If you are complaining about playing time, work harder and make the coach play you. Be better than the competition. If you choose to move to a new team because the coach doesn't play you, then you are in the grass is greener group and it never is. Tired of parents thinking their kid should play more so they move to a new team. Make your kid work to get on the field. These coaches want to win and they put the best on the field. Earn it!

I would check out the post on "Earning a Spot" before staying so tired of these parents that thing their kid should play more. And why does it matter so much to you that a player that is not getting playing time leaves a team. If they are not being utilized then who does it affect negatively if they leave?
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by stonehurler » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:46 pm

Easy answer Defty. It affects your own kid if you leave the team rather than fight for playing time. Teach your kid to work harder and earn their time. Every kid I know that leaves rather than fight, soon leaves again.
stonehurler
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 am

stonehurler wrote:Easy answer Defty. It affects your own kid if you leave the team rather than fight for playing time. Teach your kid to work harder and earn their time. Every kid I know that leaves rather than fight, soon leaves again.

Re-read the post. The answer isn't easy at all. There is a whole other topic that is attached to this same subject. Teaching your kids to work harder is not a solution when they will never have a chance to earn a spot because the coach is dense or playing favorites. BTW I am not speaking from personal experience. I am just not walking around oblivious to the obvious faults within the sport. Some people chose to turn a blind eye and I do not. Some people also drink the Kool-Aid and always toss around one-liners that they regurgitate from some has been coach or dad that has no proven track record (i.e. teach your kid to work harder and that will solve it).

What you say is however very ironic. Your answer way oversimplifies the reality of the playing time issue. You can not, in all situations, just work harder and earn your spot. In fact, most of the issues that I see posted on this board are issues that have persisted over time. I believe that is because there are so many different causes for these issues as well as many different possible solutions. That is why it is good to discuss them in depth so that the people that actually use their brains and stand up for what is right can this sport continue to move in a positive direction.

BTW, my question to him about why it matters so much was posed because he says he is "tired of parents thinking their kid should play more so they move to a new team". Your response doesn't address that. Why do you care if it affects "my own kid?" I don't see you standing at my door paying for their pitching/hitting/fielding/catching lessons. are you truly advocating for my child when you complain about how they will just end up leaving another team or are you just saying the same thing he said but in a different way? So I ask you the same question, why do you care if someones kid leaves a team if they are not getting playing time?
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by stonehurler » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:23 pm

Sorry to be so misunderstood. My kid is a stud pitcher and was disappointed not to get at bats at PGF last year. I told her you have to be so good your coach has to let you hit. She had comparable stats to a lot of kids that hit. Her coach wanted to rest her for pitching. I told her be SO GOOD he has to bat you. I stayed on the same team. Not the coaches fault.
stonehurler
Premium Member
Premium Member

by stonehurler » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:39 pm

Reread this post if you feel the need
stonehurler
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xyzdude » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:52 am

My daughter just went threw this in 12u. Her fielding is a little behind. But she is right there with the bat. But the coach would only give her like 1 AB in a 3 game friendly. So i said something and he cut my kid from the team. It crushed her because she has been putting in so much extra work to catch up. She has never worked for anything like that until now. I just dont understand the coaching behind that. I coached her in rec ball for 2 years. Never treated a kid like that.

What you say is however very ironic. Your answer way oversimplifies the reality of the playing time issue. You can not, in all situations, just work harder and earn your spot. In fact, most of the issues that I see posted on this board are issues that have persisted over time. I believe that is because there are so many different causes for these issues as well as many different possible solutions. That is why it is good to discuss them in depth so that the people that actually use their brains and stand up for what is right can this sport continue to move in a positive direction.

Unifying theme here; parents trying to control the environment around their children. In my opinion, this is not parenting this is controlling and there is a big difference. Trying to make everything "right" for your kid is an endless and ultimately meaningless effort. Helping them learn to overcome, work harder, speak for themselves, and ultimately make a decision that they need to move (to a different team) is the parent's job. So the work harder and earn it mentality is perhaps a better approach than pushing the blame to others and crying the age old, "she didn't get a fair opportunity" song. You may not be wrong about the song - but are you really helping your child? As much as folks decry coaches for not developing players, parents should accept equal blame for not developing their child into functioning adults and good people...
xyzdude

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:41 am

Looks to me like the original poster was asking the question, what is minimum playing time?

What if the question were asked like this-
How much playing time is needed to develop?

Are people complaining about playing time or not getting the opportunity to earn a position?

Playing time, "game situational" is critical to learn, think, react and grow!. How about the first year your daughter playing travel ball if you're not out on the field during game time or scrimmage game time that learning curve is going to be a lot longer. What happens... low developement. Then next year. And so on. The learning curve is slower.

There are also players who are putting in tons of work and lots of extra work who are talented players who don't get the benefit of opportunity to earn a spot.

I do think player should work hard and earn a starting 9 position.
*However the fact remains there are coach who coach their teams with favoritism, and do not give everybody the same opportunity to earn a position.

We can also go into all the if ands or buts and talk about what the goal is of the team and the coach who's in 12u who only wants to win that doesn't see the importance of developing the other players. Revolving door teams that only last 10 months really don't care about the future they care about the now.

Communicative developmental coaches in the younger first four years in travel ball are critical.
Respect the decision of a parent who wants their children/ player to be on a team where they will be given the chance to develop, learn and grow.
Sometimes, often times , the knowledge to form better decisions
comes from watching and learning.
( learning curve) Think parents and travel ball have at least a two-year learning curve if not a bit longer. That includes coaches!!!!! To figure out, atleast a little better, what travel softball is going to be like. Then understand what there current and the future goals are.

Also this happens.... it can take couple months on a team for people to actually see "the real writing on the wall" to make a better decision for their children athletes.

Brings us back to the question...

What playing time is needed for development?

Find the team that fits goals.
75%
50% in primary position minimum
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:21 am

xyzdude wrote:
My daughter just went threw this in 12u. Her fielding is a little behind. But she is right there with the bat. But the coach would only give her like 1 AB in a 3 game friendly. So i said something and he cut my kid from the team. It crushed her because she has been putting in so much extra work to catch up. She has never worked for anything like that until now. I just dont understand the coaching behind that. I coached her in rec ball for 2 years. Never treated a kid like that.

Unifying theme here; parents trying to control the environment around their children. In my opinion, this is not parenting this is controlling and there is a big difference. Trying to make everything "right" for your kid is an endless and ultimately meaningless effort. Helping them learn to overcome, work harder, speak for themselves, and ultimately make a decision that they need to move (to a different team) is the parent's job. So the work harder and earn it mentality is perhaps a better approach than pushing the blame to others and crying the age old, "she didn't get a fair opportunity" song. You may not be wrong about the song - but are you really helping your child? As much as folks decry coaches for not developing players, parents should accept equal blame for not developing their child into functioning adults and good people...

I too find it weird that parents want to make sure that their kids are in the best environment to allow them to just play the game. We should just be able to throw them in any situation and they should claw their way out of it with hard work. Regardless if the coach is playing favorites, screaming at everyone all the time or has no clue what he is doing. They don't need our guidance or suggestions. Who are we to try and raise them or protect them. I mean seriously. They should lower the age of legal adulthood in this country because by 12/14/16 these kids should have it figured out. And if they haven't then its their fault for not trying hard enough. Just try harder. Don't try smarter. (<<< Somehow I feel the need to explain to you xyzdude that that was sarcasm).

I bet if your daughter was attacked by a stray dog you would tell her that she should have chosen a different route or should have ran faster to get away. Can't possibly be the dogs fault.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but given your Archie Bunker approach to parenting, I won't be coming to you for advice on the matter if I feel lost when raising my children.

Stick to assistant coaching and believing the coach when he tells you the parents are always the problem.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions