Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Playing time

What's on your mind?

by Defty » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:27 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:.
Looks to me like the original poster was asking the question, what is minimum playing time?

What if the question were asked like this-
How much playing time is needed to develop?

Are people complaining about playing time or not getting the opportunity to earn a position?

Playing time, "game situational" is critical to learn, think, react and grow!. How about the first year your daughter playing travel ball if you're not out on the field during game time or scrimmage game time that learning curve is going to be a lot longer. What happens... low developement. Then next year. And so on. The learning curve is slower.

There are also players who are putting in tons of work and lots of extra work who are talented players who don't get the benefit of opportunity to earn a spot.

I do think player should work hard and earn a starting 9 position.
*However the fact remains there are coach who coach their teams with favoritism, and do not give everybody the same opportunity to earn a position.

As an instructor who goes out and watch to support my students I am paying attention to coaches their strategies and their fall out.
I even watch when coaches will over play my catchers and not developed other catchers....so I'm not being one-sided.
I am being open minded.

We can also go into all the if ands or buts and talk about what the goal is of the team and the coach who's in 12u who only wants to win that doesn't see the importance of developing the other players. Revolving door teams that only last 10 months really don't care about the future they care about the now.

Communicative developmental coaches in the younger first four years in travel ball are critical.
Respect the decision of a parent who wants their children/ player to be on a team where they will be given the chance to develop, learn and grow.
Sometimes, often times , the knowledge to form better decisions
comes from watching and learning.
( learning curve) Think parents and travel ball have at least a two-year learning curve if not a bit longer. That includes coaches!!!!! To figure out, atleast a little better, what travel softball is going to be like. Then understand what there current and the future goals are.

Also this happens.... it can take couple months on a team for people to actually see "the real writing on the wall" to make a better decision for their children athletes.

Brings us back to the question...

What playing time is needed for development?

Find the team that fits goals.
75%
50% in primary position minimum

Well said.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xyzdude » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 am

Defty,

As is expected you twist my words around to justify your world view. In previous posts I went into great detail with items to try and help parents make wise decisions when selecting a team so to put comments that urge a "seeing it through" attitude in the light that you do is a bit disingenuous. So keep on with your righteous quest to turn your daughter into a snowflake.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that I've earned a graduate degree in sarcasm.

Have a good day.
xyzdude

by Defty » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:24 pm

xyzdude wrote:Defty,

As is expected you twist my words around to justify your world view. In previous posts I went into great detail with items to try and help parents make wise decisions when selecting a team so to put comments that urge a "seeing it through" attitude in the light that you do is a bit disingenuous. So keep on with your righteous quest to turn your daughter into a snowflake.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that I've earned a graduate degree in sarcasm.

Have a good day.

No one twisted your words. Your message is clear. Your feelings were hurt in the past because no one would stay on your team(s) since you hadn't a clue about what you were doing. You "retired" and didn't actual just FAIL at coaching. Now it's your mission to sell people on the idea that there is some sort of requirement to stick by a commitment that isn't being lived up to be the coaching staff. In today's time people use the information available to them to make informed decisions. Your phone isn't just for looking at cat pictures. It has all of the worlds information available to you at your fingertips. This isn't the 50's anymore. People aren't going to just continue to do what has been done soley because that is "how it has always been done".

If my daughter were to become a snowflake I would find it far better then watching her turn into a parent that leaves their kids out to dry based on a skewed version of principle. What you say is barely intelligible. Instead of accusing me of twisting your words try effectively communicating your message. Also maybe try stringing together a thought that is your own, and maybe anyone in this lifetime will take you seriously. Right now all you are doing is repeating the same crap that every other neanderthal coach in the past has puked out of their mouth for decades.

And let's clear the air here. Empowering my daughter to stand up for what is right and not allowing a misinformed C level coach like you to use her to serve your agenda would not be the definition of turning her into a snowflake. That is what it looks like to love your daughter and teach her to be strong enough to stand up and make bold decisions. I get that you are against that but since you are obviously so comfortable being that way there is nothing anyone can do to help you see the error of your ways.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xyzdude » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:18 pm

No one twisted your words. Your message is clear. Your feelings were hurt in the past because no one would stay on your team(s) since you hadn't a clue about what you were doing. You "retired" and didn't actual just FAIL at coaching. Now it's your mission to sell people on the idea that there is some sort of requirement to stick by a commitment that isn't being lived up to be the coaching staff. In today's time people use the information available to them to make informed decisions. Your phone isn't just for looking at cat pictures. It has all of the worlds information available to you at your fingertips. This isn't the 50's anymore. People aren't going to just continue to do what has been done soley because that is "how it has always been done".

If my daughter were to become a snowflake I would find it far better then watching her turn into a parent that leaves their kids out to dry based on a skewed version of principle. What you say is barely intelligible. Instead of accusing me of twisting your words try effectively communicating your message. Also maybe try stringing together a thought that is your own, and maybe anyone in this lifetime will take you seriously. Right now all you are doing is repeating the same crap that every other neanderthal coach in the past has puked out of their mouth for decades.

And let's clear the air here. Empowering my daughter to stand up for what is right and not allowing a misinformed C level coach like you to use her to serve your agenda would not be the definition of turning her into a snowflake. That is what it looks like to love your daughter and teach her to be strong enough to stand up and make bold decisions. I get that you are against that but since you are obviously so comfortable being that way there is nothing anyone can do to help you see the error of your ways.

Defty, your response tells us more about you than anything else. I'm bored of you. Have a good day.
xyzdude

by Battle » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:41 pm

Spazs, you don't know? You haven't heard? He is angry because you are not listening and confirming his di-a-tribe. He is the awe-inspiring pedagogue of softball 101. C'mon man...
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Defty » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:54 pm

And all the old fart ex coaches come out of the woodworks to circle the wagons/wheelchairs. Don’t you have an Elks Club to be at or something. Spaz your opinion is meaningless to me and anyone else that actually still has a kid playing. Hey, at least you have Battle that still looks up to you.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 pm

xyzdude wrote:

Defty, your response tells us more about you than anything else. I'm bored of you. Have a good day.

You’re not bored, it was just past your nap time when you wrote that. It’s time to donate your way of thinking to the Smithsonian.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:53 am

Spazsdad wrote:
Defty wrote:And all the old fart ex coaches come out of the woodworks to circle the wagons/wheelchairs. Don’t you have an Elks Club to be at or something. Spaz your opinion is meaningless to me and anyone else that actually still has a kid playing. Hey, at least you have Battle that still looks up to you.

People like you are the ones that are bumps in the road to those of us that continue to coach long after our kids are done playing as a way to give back to the sport and try and help others reach their goals of playing at the next level. Thankfully your numbers are low and most of the time your kids aren’t infected with your attitude. Too bad in some instances the player suffers because of the parent.
I’m glad you have all the answers and I wish your kid nothing but success in her Fastpitch career.

So far my stances have been:

1) Don't allow coaches to not hold up their ends of the bargain
2) When working hard isn't enough because the coach plays favorites it is perfectly fine to leave a team
3) Parents are their childrens advocates and should ensure that they are in the best environments
4) Coaches like you only want to be right, but people like me won't stand for you to continue to slow down softball with your old ways
5) You and your brainless minions Battle and xyz are irrelevant

You hedge your bets on the fact that people like me are low in numbers. Because as long as their aren't people that stand up then there are people like you that will walk on the new misinformed parents that come into travel from rec thinking their daughter is the best player out there.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:21 am

Spazsdad wrote:“Slow down softball”
God you are full of yourself aren’t you.

Best of luck to your daughter.

You have miss-perceived my lack of weakness for cockiness.

And for the record, my daughter doesn't need luck. She has skill and an amazing work ethic. Coupled with the facts that she is a strong young woman that has been taught the difference between right and wrong and that she has a dad that advocates for her, the only luck she needs to worry about is bad luck.

But thank you for the passive-aggressive well wishes (<<< note the embedded irony)
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:45 am

Spazsdad wrote:See. You just can’t help yourself.
My well wishes for her were just that. I hope the best for all players that put in the hours to grind through and reach for a goal.
That’s why I continue to do this long after my kid was finished playing. I got her back on the field helping to coach as well. Wonder how long before her views are old and outdated in the eyes of newer parents.

Someone's views become old and outdated when they stop learning. It isn't a direct relationship to being old, just a precursor. I think that is what you are struggling with.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions