Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Does your coach or catcher call pitches?

What's on your mind?

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:39 am

Like to open up discussion on the pros and cons and coaching strategies behind one decision or the other. In travel ball.

Can report about half of my catching students get to call pitches in travel ball from 10U through 18U. Can share over the years the catchers who call pitches generally have a better connection with their pitchers especially in recognizing day-to-day differences in pitch movement and control.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FastpitchPros » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:37 am

Hello Sue,
Thanks for your post. As a pitching coach, I see both sides of the issues.

As you probably know, one of the biggest issues in today's fastpitch... is that not enough catchers have been properly trained to "receive the ball and frame the catch" Not catch the ball and move the glove... ugh :(

Let alone... have a clue how to call pitches... other than guessing.

But that is the same problem with youth softball coaches... even paid coaches are not properly trained how to call pitches.

As the more advanced (trained) catchers progress up to the higher play levels... they have LEARNED what pitches worked and why... and should be able to call pitches!

However, no catcher should EVER be forced to call pitches... if they are uncomfortable. They should want to learn "how to call pitches".

Even though the catcher might be fully trained on how to call pitches... some coaches will never allow them to do so... and no one will never convince them otherwise because these coaches know everything - just ask them :)

Every coach and every catcher is different.

In college, there is usually a coach that calls pitches... mostly because they have all the batter's hitting and scouting data in their hands for every batter.

Based on my experienced... If a team has done their "due diligence" and fully scouted the opposition... then the coach should call the games.

If there is no scouting information, and the catcher knows how "receive and frame" the ball... and also understands how to call pitches, then the catcher should be allowed to call pitches.
Experienced advice is FREE to those that listen... Others will pay for it later"
FastpitchPros
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Both....Catcher is trained to call pitches by the coach and the Pitcher is trained to know why the catcher is calling that particular pitch at the time. Most of all...the lost art of communication is seen as a necessity.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Sbmom2008! » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:24 am

I think communication is what younger players 8-12u struggle with the most across all positions. It breaks down the game when they are not communicating and lots of missed opportunities as a result. If only they could text their plays to each other. :lol:
Sbmom2008!
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:30 am

Enjoy Softball
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:51 am

Enjoy Softball
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:44 pm

Here is my thought on this, the pitchers and catchers have the best view in the house!! For that reason it only makes sense for them to call pitches. However, most don't know or have never been taught and that's not the fault of the player . Unless a coach has spent some time pitching or catching as an athlete most don't have the real life experience to teach them properly. Truth be told, google chrome & YouTube can only teach you so much as a coach no offense intended but its true. There are certain intangibles that you only get from actual playing experience. Unless you have a full spray chart or scouting report on a player or team, experience is all you have to rely on.

Intangibles that take years and lots of BF's to understand i.e. body language, stance, hands, swing path, head tilt. Things that you see repeated time and time again that tip batters tendencies. My goal at the start of every season is to get my pitchers and catchers to the point that they know how to set up batters. I want them thinking at least 3 pitches ahead in every scenario. Just because a certain pitch seems like a good idea doesn't make it one....Anywho that's my .02
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:53 pm

The pitcher/catcher connection is developed with time. Players and especially pitchers come and go so frequently so that connection is never really established in travel. Sure there’s some exceptions of kids that grew up together that I still wouldn’t let call pitches. They’re not going to call games in College. They pay coaches to run that show.
Experience decides who calls pitches.
Catcher can still be the field General without pitch calling.
My .03
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm

Enjoy Softball
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:27 pm

No reason to not include coaching the team on pitch calling. Unless the coach doesnt no what their talking about and cant explain it.
notthisagain

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions