Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Focus on 1 sport? Develop other skills?

What's on your mind?

by FstPtchFred » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Fred here -

One of the more popular topics that I'm presented with by families that I work with is - What to do in in the months where softball isn't the main focus. It seems in this current day and age that athletes are honed in on 1 particular sport early in their career, and really dont expand their interests into other activities.

While I think it's important to constantly work on your "main sport", it is also extremely beneficial to partake in other physical (and mental) activities. Playing other sports will help develop other muscles in the body and should help prevent some common injuries that we typically see from strictly softball/baseball players - which usually happens from overuse of a developing muscle. It's also nice just to get away from the grind of one particular sport, and engage with new people to possibly pick up on some important intangibles (being coachable, interacting with new teammates, embracing a new practice grind, etc.)

I understand that there's always a small fear of missing travel/high school workouts and not being a part of the team during the actual season, but it's still important for kids to be kids, and softball should never feel like a job. When speaking to friends of mine who happen to be college coaches, they actually prefer to recruit a multi-sport athlete over an individual that only focuses on one sport.

Keep grinding

-FPF
FstPtchFred
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:18 pm

Battle here....

Playing other sports is fun, be mindful of the people that confuse other sports with "rest". Also be mindful of those same people encouraging you to play other sports as being safe because it can be career ending depending on the injury. Also be mindful of the same people encouraging you to play other sports that don't know that it's dangerous to play a certain two sports at the same time depending on what position you play.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by FstPtchFred » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:52 am

Awesome perspective, Battle. It's definitely a difficult decision to make and sometimes those coaches from other sports can become a little selfish to recruit the best athletes, which puts the kids in such a tough spot. I think at the end of the day, by the time these kids are in high-school they should be trusted enough to make their own decisions. As long as they stay active and in a growing environment, there's not much more you can ask for.

-FPF
FstPtchFred
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:16 pm

Other post was about two different defensive positions, one sport. This two entirely different sports. LOL the coaches in softball must really freak out if their players want to play a second sport all together when they won't even let them play two positions on their team.
In favor of develop ok.
notthisagain

by Battle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:27 pm

notthisagain wrote:Other post was about two different defensive positions, one sport. This two entirely different sports. LOL the coaches in softball must really freak out if their players want to play a second sport all together when they won't even let them play two positions on their team.
In favor of develop ok.

Ummmm....Yes we have no bananas....
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by eclipse09 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:09 pm

Just wait for high school when they try a totally different sport they have never played before and like it.......
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FastpitchPros » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:08 am

Fred - great post and obviously you have been there and done that!

Many of my pitching students play other sports (volleyball, hockey, basketball) or do other fun activities (dance, music, etc.)

As you all know, your DD can get hurt at any time and anywhere... not just playing a sport.

Injuries happen... don't let that interfere with your daughter being a kid (i.e. just look and think about at all the stupid things you did when you were a kid... and you survived :lol: )

Since Fastpitch is your DD's "main sport" - she need to continue practicing all year round... if she wants to play at the higher levels (and play college softball).

However, Battle had a great point... it is called REST (physical and mental).

Make sure you and your DD plan for rest.

No matter what age... your DD needs your guidance to keep them focused and on track.

In order to achieve success, you should PLAN to sit down with their DD and have her being to "write down" (using a pen or pencil) her goals and action plans into a notebook.

Review these goals and action plans every 30 days... make adjustment or additions as needed...

Make sure to add "specific dates" and planned ACTIONS to achieve these goals.

Make 3 kinds of goals and action plans:

1) Short (under 6 months)
2) Annual
3) Long (3-5 years)

Of course, always keep supporting your DD - keep it positive and encouraging.

Your DD is "The Future... The Future of Fastpitch"

Kent A Reed
Founder of FastpitchPros

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

"Plan your work and work your plan" - Napoleon Hill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish" Unknown
Experienced advice is FREE to those that listen... Others will pay for it later"
FastpitchPros
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions